Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5th edition Street magic................uh....wut?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WorkOver
I can not make heads or tails of this book. This is an all time low for these guys with terrible work flow with these books.

Okay, I get that these rituals need to be bought, just like all rituals.

My confusion is in the school stuff. So, you pick a school, you get access to it's very limited art, ritual, metamagic and adept stuff.

I get that, I hate it, but I understand the rule.

Can you get multiple schools? There is no rule for this. If not, then you will quickly run out of stuff to but in just a little bit of karma.

Thanks.
NightmareX
As I understood it you just take the "school" metamagics as you initiate, which gives you access to the other stuff (subject to prerequisites). I didn't see anything to stop someone from taking metamagics from multiple "schools" so I'd just continue choosing metamagics as normal. As I see it the "schools" are largely a fluff thing.
Temperance
QUOTE (WorkOver @ Sep 15 2014, 05:38 AM) *
I can not make heads or tails of this book. This is an all time low for these guys with terrible work flow with these books.

Okay, I get that these rituals need to be bought, just like all rituals.

My confusion is in the school stuff. So, you pick a school, you get access to it's very limited art, ritual, metamagic and adept stuff.

I get that, I hate it, but I understand the rule.

Can you get multiple schools? There is no rule for this. If not, then you will quickly run out of stuff to but in just a little bit of karma.

Thanks.

I see that no limit is mentioned on page 139 and as far as I can tell, that's the only location where selecting schools are mentioned. Ugh. (Note the sidebar on that page is correct on the karma cost for rituals and enhancements, the main text is not. See the post on the TT SR forums.) The only limitation I am aware of regarding initiations / schools, is that you can't select a metamagic twice (SR5 325).

I don't see any reason why you can't take more than one school. There's Giabralter's* statement in the linked post: "Magicians and Mystic Adepts initiate into an Art. Consider an Art as a wrapper around what was just described as a metamagic in the core book." And there is no further limitation regarding the metamagics you take. So schools should be similarly unlimited. Since there is no rule against it and reading it as only one school ever would go against existing rules (take any metamagic when initiating), I say take a new school whenever you initiate. (Unless you want to take a different metamagic in a previously selected school.)

* My understanding is he is a freelancer that contributed to Street Grimoire.

When the Missions FAQ is updated to include SG, it will be something semi-official to work with, assuming the promised errata doesn't show up before then. And supposedly the errata should be available by the "end of summer". indifferent.gif (Technically**, they have until the equinox, Sept 23. Not sure I believe that considering Catalyst's release date issues.)

** Technically correct is the best type of correct. wobble.gif

Out of curiosity, why don't you like the school concept? Aside from giving you some flavor to work with, it's not a limiting factor except as to provide a prereq for certain rituals and metamagics. And that's not exactly a new thing either. (Reflection and Absorption required Shielding in SR4, for instance. [SM 61 & 59] Also Anchoring requiring Quickening. [SM 59] And so on.)

-Temperance
Shaidar
The only limit I saw was that only one school could apply a reduction to a given Initiation. Each school/degree requires 5 weeks and 10,000 Nuyen to join. And allows you to officially add a few letters (BTS, BTA, MTS, MTA, or ThD) to documents and in the case of a ThD be addressed as Doctor.
Fatum
"That's Doctor Manaburn for you, lady"!
DMiller
No it's simply "The Doctor".
Lurker37
With an ally spirit that can manifest as a blue box?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012