Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Through the Looking Glass [2075 Game World]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Vegas
[Thursday September 26th, 2075, Zero's, Puyallup, Seattle]

Ali had taken a spot to Al's left, her chair flipped around with its back to the table as she straddled it. Their motley crew had barely raised a couple of eyebrows as they walked in and the music if you could call it that, was atrocious. Good old Zero's at its finest.

She raised a shot glass that had clearly seen better days and clinked it against Al's beer bottle in response to his toast. Knowing Zero's didn't stock anything above cheap swill when it came to beer, and after the enlightening meeting they had just attended, she opted for her shot of whiskey.

Raising the glass to her lips she tilted her head back and enjoyed the bite and the burn as it slid down her throat.

"So." It was a simple enough statement, but it spoke volumes as a jumping off point for the start of conversation outside of the Crime Mall.
adamu

"So…" Al looked Jan straight in the eye. "First things first. Don't reckon I kin apologize fer throwin' the job inna proverbial crapper ta help a chummer. Reckon I'd do it again, too. But back there that night, the cost o' helpin' one chummer wuz leavin' another with they ass hangin' bare an' pale inna cold, cold wind. An' that were wrong. So from now on, I do hereby pledge ta treat all muh coworkers equally with regard ta throwin' jobs inna crapper."
mister__joshua
Jan

Jan snorted a laugh at Al's 'professionalism' toast, assuming the irony was deliberate. He took a long swig of the swill they were serving up before placing it on the table. There was a few seconds pause before he turned and punched Al square in the chest, causing him to cough and splutter. He'd been talking at the time; something in way of an apology. This was the way things got settled back home though.
"We're lekker. Don't fok me again or the next one won't be a chick tap." He sat back in his chair and downed the remains of his beer before dropping his bottle on the floor, as seemed to be tradition in here. "What we thinking of this next part then? Looks it could get spicy."
adamu

Ouch! Al thought. Hits pretty good for a damned Spock. Oh well, like it says in the Good Book, an apology without a punch in the chest is just an apology. Al congratulated himself on his magnanimity and boundless sense of fair play.

Composing himself by draining his beer stein, he answered: “Nothin’ much to it, I reckon. Coupla specimens of unbridled masculinity such as ye an’ me can’t walk in without attactin’ the suspicion o’ security an’ the unwanted attention of all the office girls. So we send Morgan an’ Peaches in with the passes we got. Once they git to the data farm, they find the dingus an’ waltz out. Meantime, you an’ me’s downin’ a half-case in the getaway van. An’ afore ye kin say granny an’ pappy wuz cousins, it’s payday.”

A filterless Lucky Strike appeared between his lips, and a burn-melted hand hefted a big silver Zippo to light it.

“Hell, my plan’s so damned elegant, not ta mention surefire, foolproof, an’ faultless, reckon we kin jist skip the whole friends an’ family aspect o’ the job.”
mister__joshua
Jan

Jan laughed. "Haha. You not a fan of the assurances I'm taking either then? You Americans... you always make me laugh. So precious about this sort of thing. Maybe if you came from where I did you'd see things differently. Then maybe, if you'd come from where I did, it wouldn't work because you'd rather have your mother shot than give anything away..." He paused for a second, aware he may be on a sensitive line, before pushing on regardless. "It's a weakness, whether you see it or not, and one that can be easily leveraged. We saw it last run. I know you care more for keeping Peaches safe than even yourself, let alone the rest of us. It's in your nature. Your promise it'll be different is certainly hollow but it's fine, I'm OK with it. This, though. This now is the other side of the coin. This is a measure I'm taking to protect all of us should anything happen. I'm not asking you guys to be a part of it if you don't want, but it's happening."
adamu

Al tapped ash onto the table top, considering Jan’s words. He knew the keeb had a point...if all you cared about was staying alive. But he’d learned the hard way that some things you did, you wished you weren’t still breathing after. And he reckoned hurting kids would top the list. Call it weakness, or maybe a healthy concern for one’s immortal soul. Truth was, he simply couldn’t conscion it.

But it was clear Jan could, so he went at it a different way.

“Alrighty, settin’ millstones aside fer the nonce, let’s talk brass tacks. Fact is, we been talkin’ gen-eralities, instead o’ re-alities. You say it’s happenin’, so spell it out for us. You plannin’ on lookin’ or touchin’?”
mister__joshua
Jan

"That'll depend on the information we get, and how hard they are to access... ...but he needs to understand the threat is real, else the whole thing is worthless" Back in Azania kidnapping was a common practice in the shadows. "The intention will obviously be not to hurt them. I won't be sending fingers in a box or any of that kak. This isn't a ransom, just a security deposit".
adamu

“An’ as such,” Al rejoined, “it’s best left inna bank.”

He paused to watch the waitress walk by. Anyone that didn’t know might have assumed he was checking her out, but in fact he was just surprised to see that she had washed her hair and appeared to have donned a set of clean clothing. Maybe she was back in rehab.

Anyway, she had a mouth as big as her ass, and this wasn’t a conversation for stray ears.

“If it’s intel you wanna line up, ‘nuff to rattle some nerves, make ‘em think twice, ol’ Al kin back that play. ‘Cuz yeah, that’s a smart play. But you wanna go considerin’ a snatch...listen, it ain’t about bein’ strong or weak, an’ it ain’t about ease of access, either. It’s about target value. You go for the kid o’ some rent-a-cop, not so tough. But he ain’t worth jack, he don’t make the call when fingers are on triggers. But ya go fer the kid of any feller with the clout to really call off the dogs, shit, you think those kids’ every movement ain’t tracked an’ logged on an automated database somewhere? An’ you think that guy’s security clearance lasts five seconds past the time his kid’s tracker tag goes off the reservation, or his ma gits nervous, or his school’s sec drones see someone they don’t know within a hunnerd yards o’ the school?”

Al emptied his beer, and waved for another.

“Nah, you wanna compile a three-second download that’ll convince anyone with a heart in his chest we got the will an’ the capability ta put his kin’s lights out, then we’re talkin’. But ya go hands on with this, ya might as well send the facility a written damned warnin’ we’s goin’ in, an’ then we git there to find yer kid’s pa done been summarily relieved o’ duty fer the duration o’ the crisis.”

Al had no real idea if any of what he said was true, but he’d watched a lot of trid, and it sounded pretty much like what the smart runner would say, the smooth one that had once made his corporate family millions with his slick, multilingual negotiating skills, but had since lost himself to the grimy hell of the shadows to feed his insatiable lust for snuff-BTLs (of babies) despite the corp’s heroic and compassionate efforts to save him.

So maybe that would be enough to stop Jan from turning their own real life shadows into something darker than they already were.
mister__joshua
Jan

"We'll see what the legwork brings back. Maybe a few good guncam down-the-sights photos will suffice." Jan conceded, somewhat reluctantly. It wasn't like he enjoyed this aspect of the job; kidnapping wives and children, but sometimes there was a need. A photo isn't nearly as scary as not speaking to your family for 2 days, but if they sprung it at the right time then maybe it'd be enough, in a pinch, backed up with the right amount of attitude and bravado. "We'll see... he mused again. He hadn't considered a higher level target which Al seemed to accidentally suggest. They certainly hadn't got tags on every rent-a-cop's loved ones. That was all they'd need. Just someone who could turn at the right time, with the right motivation.
adamu

Always ready to hear a maybe as a yes, Al congratulated himself for his preternatural powers of persuasion and promptly forgot about the entire issue.

"Now, we kin either all git drunk, or we kin talk about this Sybill program, or virus, or whatever the hell she is." He lit a fresh cigarette. "My vote's fer gittin' drunk."
RdMarquis

"I thought I'd find you here." LeFey was wearing the mask again, and the hood of her jacket was up. Zero's wasn't the Crime Mall, but it was still not a place to attract unwanted attention. After the meet, an errand had separated her from the newly formed team. She had managed to catch Al suggesting a drink, however, and that had led her to the dingy bar. "By the way, Sybil the woman was the subject of a very early case study of an individual with multiple personalities." LeFey pulled off the mask. "I've heard it was eventually revealed that her symptoms were false, though." She awkwardly seated herself at their table.
adamu

Al was glad to see LeFey had joined their little tete a tete. He reckoned she knew more about this crap than the rest of them combined.

"Waitaminnit…woman? An' here I thought this thing was a virus o' some sort? They got girl viruses now?"
Vegas

As Al and Jan did what they needed to do to clear the air, up to and including Jan getting his one shot in, Ali did what she did best which was to fade into the background amidst a crowd of people even those seated at the table. She had nothing to atone for this go round, but she sure as hell wasn't about to jump in on Al's behalf, he could hold his own. Besides, her hands had a date with new electronics and an old EVA-RI101 in working condition that her father had salvaged from an industrial office tear down over in Renton.

When LeFey joined the group Ali greeted the girl with a nod as the conversation took a turn towards the upcoming run and specifically diving directly into the topic of Sybil, Ali backed off her chair and headed towards the bar, knowing this could make for a long night.

It didn't take long for her to return with a pair of longneck bottles threaded between her fingers, another shot of whiskey balanced in her palm and a glass of a bright yellow-green liquid that passed for soda which she set down in front of LeFey with a half-smile of apology.

"How about we do both."

She handed each of the men another bottle of beer and she tossed back another shot, guessing she was going to need a bit of fortification to deal with where the conversation led next.
RdMarquis

"Not if you're above the age of 5." She mouths a silent "thank you" to Ali, then continues. "The actual term for it is Cerebral Fragmentation Disorder, or CFD for short. I assume it received the nickname Sybil because its symptoms appear to involve multiple personalities." LeFey takes a drink, and stares at the can pensively. Not as bad as she was expecting, all things considered. Though she was willing to bet the faded ingredient list once read "food coloring, fizz, chemical cocktail, artificial sweetener". "You're probably going to ask, and frankly, we all should know this. Everybody on the damn planet should know this. "This" being, how you get infected. Sybil obviously works on your brain. But it can't get to your brain without help from nanites. Any kind, but generally those which are part of an augmentation."

She couldn't help but think of a gun barrel as she pointed an index finger to her head. "The virus infects the nanites, and they infect us. At that point, a different personality with an agenda of its own starts to take over control of the body." The hand twitches slightly as she brings it to rest on a part of the table that lacked splinters. "In every case so far, these personalities have...succeeded."
Vegas

As LeFey shed more light on the gravity of Sybil, a chill ran through her that had little to do with the weak air conditioning that filtered down from the ceiling. The ramifications were terrifying, and she couldn't keep her thoughts from heading to what they all might be facing if the virus was loose in the mental health facility.

"Any documented information on transmission rates or speed or symptoms?"

Her face remained neutral, but hushed swallowed hard against the sudden dryness in her throat.
adamu

Al didn't particularly care for what he was hearing.

He'd wrestled Burmese vipergators and faced down Tuareg tribesmen. And sickness, yeah, he'd seen it, and he'd been it. But all any of that could break was a man's flesh, dark, carnal, and full of sin. But this talk of taking a man's personality. Did it change who you were, in your heart? Or did it just make you a helpless prisoner in your own body? And which would be worse?

It was time to start paying attention…hell, he couldn't even remember what all this Sybill stuff had to do with the job at hand...
mister__joshua
Jan

Jan stepped up first with a purely selfish question. "So....." he pondered for a second. "...if you don't have any cyberware, are you immune?"
adamu

"Not like that'd help you if'n it was true, Cochise," Al couldn't resist saying.
mister__joshua
Jan

"Not true." Jan spread his arms wide, showing off his physique. "This is pure tissue my friend. One hundred percent bio constructed. None of that metal kak in this temple" he joked. It was true though. Not even a data jack. Of course, bio is much easier to get back home; a major industry in the Cape. Most of his 'ware he'd had to strip out of others in the field. Friends and foes; survival of the fittest.
adamu

"Well ain't you pretty, Frankenkeeb. Hell, ya had tits on yer back I'd…" Al stopped short, remembering there were ladies present.

He cleared his throat in embarrassment, and said, "So, er, you were sayin' about transmission speed an' symptoms…an' the million nuyen question, they got an antidote or anything?"
RdMarquis

LeFey was staring at the document, pale and horrorstruck. After a brief effort to form words, she takes another sip from her drink. She doesn't even make a face this time. "F-found it." LeFey shakes her head. They were testing this thing? On animals and people? "To answer your question, there's a ton of variation in how long it takes for CFD to work. For some people it takes ours. For others, months. Body size seems to be an issue in terms of onset." It could also be metatype, but she didn't like to think that. "Trolls were a lot faster to show symptoms, and dwarves were a lot slower. Same for the Awakened. If I were the betting type, I'd say CFD has as many faces as metahumanity itself. Except for the end result."

She turns her gaze to Jan, looking sad. "Meaning no one is immune. Not even animals. It'll take over any body it comes across. Even one that's home to another group of CFD nanites. They'll fight it out for their host. And when I say take over, I mean completely. Down to the soul." LeFey swallows hard. "It's learned how to use the magic of Awakened hosts." She places her head in her hands. "I wish I could give you some good news, Al, but it seems the only countermeasure is not getting exposed to infected nanites. There's no cure. At least, not right now."
adamu

Ever cheerful, Al ventured, "Alrighty, so that's the bad news…." but the look on LeFey's face told him there was no good news.

As with all the other jobs he'd taken since leaving the docks, he knew instinctively he should walk away. But then that would mean his common sense getting the better of his reckless lack of regard for, well, anything. And when had that ever happened?

Besides, this soul-stealing virus business sounded like it could get out of hand, and if he didn't save the world, who would? Hollywood would just have to wait.

He silently congratulated himself on his sense of duty and service to his fellow man.

"So, what, you reckon those psychos at Sound Mental was infected with this thing?
mister__joshua
Jan

"That seems likely, considering what's gone since..." Jan ventured. "...so there's a chance we've already been exposed. What is know about the transport vectors..." he realised this made him sound more intelligent than he intended, and quickly appended his sentence "of this fokker?" They knew him as a meat-head Sammy. No point in shattering that illusion now. Truth was he didn't know much about the Matrix or these second generation Otaku, but he knew biology; he knew nanites; and he knew viruses.
Aria
[Sunday September 29th, 2075, NeoNet Datafarm, Fort Lewis, Seattle]

@Backup Team

You wait with nervous anticipation for confirmation from the inside team that they have at best secured the data (if only life could be so easy) or at the least planted the charges near to where the target terminal should be located. The resulting flood, panicked calls for help, and general confusion should pave the way for your entry…at least that’s the plan right? Sunday evening is quiet, even wageslaves get one day off in ten, and traffic in the vicinity is minimal.

The van’s interior is stuffy with you cooped up in it for this length of time and the various personal habits of your fellow runners is beginning to grate on your respective nerves. The relative silence since your team went inside is understandable given the need for op sec but it hardly does anything to reassure you to their wellbeing. At least you don’t have to deal with the wifi blocks that the original run had to work around…

@Insertion Team

So far so good. A combination of shy charm and the IDs provided indirectly by Miss J has smoothed your path through the office and into the data farm itself. Here the air is charged with electricity and the humid whirring of untold pieces of data flying through the wireless mesh. Rejecting the archive terminal behind the sec station as being too difficult to access that left the one inside the farm itself. Naturally your IDs won’t get you that far so it’s a case of manufacturing new ones for yourselves inside or letting the distraction play out. With that in mind you’ve managed to place the charges to cause the flood and are ready to summon in the cavalry…
mister__joshua
Jan

Jan sat hunched in the back of the van, elbows on knees, head down, eyes focusing on a point somewhere between his feet. His gaze was a silent focus, thinking over what was about to happen, running through every moment. He lazily wafted away some of the second-hand smoke Al was producing. "At least we'll smell the part" he offered. Blue collar workers always smell of smoke.

He contacted the insertion team, knowing the moment to act would soon be upon him. <<@insert: Did you encounter any scan-ways en route?>> He'd already started equipping himself. This didn't seem a full assault situation. Not yet at least, and hopefully not ever. It was meant to be easy, after all....
adamu

Al had been sitting for the last two hours in the driver's seat of the service van he and Peaches had liberated from the fleet yard at the Presto Pipes home office. Over his fatigue pants and T-shirt he wore a big gray jumpsuit he'd found in the van, which, as luck and providence would have it, had "Al" stitched in neat cursive on the left breast, which made up a bit for not really being able to wear his Pa's lucky jacket, which was now secreted among his "tools." His feet were on the dash, one to each side of the steering wheel. It was remarkably comfortable - one of the perks of being a mere five-foot-three in his socks and Docs - and he was stuck in a cycle of dozing, being awakened when his cigarette burned down to his hand, lighting a new one, taking a few relaxing puffs, eyes get heavy, rinse and repeat.

They'd had a busy few days of petty crimes in preparation for this job. And last night it had occurred to him he should use the super-confidential link Silk had given them, read some sort of document on this Sybill thing thown together by some secret clubhouse group of these self-styled "shadowrunners." He'd planned to just glance at the thing before the new episode of Uncle Shagrat's House came on the trid, but by the time he looked up there was sunlight creeping over the Cascades.

He hadn't cared much for some of the stuff LeFey had told him about this thing, but reading the whole download, he was troubled in mind and spirit. The more he understood it, the scareder he got. And now with his new "calling," he reckoned he was duty-bound to do what he could to snuff the damned thing out.

But all that could wait until the girls' signal. Until then, never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, and never be awake when you can be asleep…

He was awakened once more when Jan made some comment about smelling the part. He sniffed the coveralls, but they seemed fine to him. Maybe it was an elf thing.
Vegas

Ali shifted her weight slightly on the ice pick heels she wore with the otherwise tres chic corporate attire she was sporting to support the ruse that had gotten them this far. The oversized handbag whose handles draped from the crook of her arm was considerably lighter once they had managed to place the charges along the wet wall in the women's restroom as directed by Al as having the most bang for their buck and closest to the precious server farm they were working on gaining access to. She was about to start the con to gain them access to the servers themselves so LeFey could work her magic when Jan's message came through.

<<@external: Ran into a slight snag, one more gate to clear. 10 more minutes.>>

"So about the security of the servers Mr. Douglas," Ali let a soft, slightly flirtatious smile turn calculating and shrewd. "While I wouldn't be here if your security wasn't above reproach, given the sensitivity of our data we are looking to transmit and store, I would feel so much better if you might give us a walkthrough of your internal storage and let my tech specialist take a closer look."

She reached out after a moment, her fingertips brushing lightly over the mid-level sales associate's forearm. She was fling her best to charm their way through the secure doors and buying time for LeFey to find an alternate way in if she couldn't play to his weaknesses.
Aria

@Insertion Team

The obviously smitten Mr Douglas is clearly warring with himself...

"Well look, you're already in a secure part of the facility, we shouldn't have left the admin block really...but hell, it's Sunday night and nobody is about, I'm sure it can't do any harm. Your clearance is above mine anyway. I'll clear it with the spiders and take you through. We won't go far in of course, proprietary secrets and all that, but I can show you the outer shell security, to set your mind at rest. I've prepared some refreshments in the main conference room once we are done..."

And after some AR hand waving and clearly overruling of security's doubts, the unfortunate Mr Douglas ushers you along through a security airlock into the throbbing heart of the data farm. The servers are vast and it has the feel of a relic from the twenties, except that each rack is probably running more data than a farm of comparable size back then. The air is decidedly chilly and your breath pools in the air ahead of you...

"Right this way..."
RdMarquis

LeFey's mother and father once taught her that you often had to suffer for your art. Said art being the usage of social situations to your own advantage. To drive this lesson home, they followed it up with an extensive course in company etiquette, which included how to look like you belonged in a corporate office. A lady from a finishing school was involved. As such, LeFey was noticeably more comfortable in heels than her teammate, though she wasn't about to gloat.

"We appreciate your help. And rest assured, the inspection will involve nothing more than you judge necessary to ensure our systems are running smoothly. We're in your capable hands." Her voice fades on the last syllable. The room Douglas had guided them to was nothing like she'd expected. LeFey hugs herself against the cold. And the airlock. If she didn't know better, she might have guessed the company's priority was to keep anyone leaving their internal storage. Maybe it was.
Aria
[Sunday September 29th, 2075, NeoNet Datafarm, Archive Host, Fort Lewis, Seattle]

@LeFey:

With the unfortunate Mr Douglas succumbing to Ali’s gentle ministrations he was more than distracted enough to not notice you slip away to one side when you passed the archive room. With a whisper to the datasphere the lock had given way before you, with a nudge to the host to indicate that it was still secure, and you’d gone inside…easy, too easy perhaps? With your ID spoofed you’d look like just another tech working late on some project or other, hopefully it would fool security long enough that you wouldn’t need to summon in the cavalry from outside and you could get out without more blood being spilt.

The archive access terminals look dated, but presumably they aren’t often accessed manually. The ubiquitous universal data port allows you to forge a connection into the host and within moments you are inside. Rather than the typical NeoNet iconography this archive has been, rather unimaginatively, rendered as a book lined vault, the musty smelling leather bound tomes stretching up above you. There is a cathedral hush and motes of dust dance in the air around your persona.

Opening the directory system you are quickly able to begin searching for the key words that the Johnson requested…but something feels wrong and it is difficult to put your finger on what exactly it is…then you realise…you can feel the matrix from in here…this should be a closed system with no wifi access…a sickly sweet scent suddenly traces by you on a non-existent breeze and you feel the host darken… it feels wrong

“My my my said the spider to the fly…what have we here? Naughty girl…”

The persona is as disturbing as you remember it to be…the white haired androgynous knight stalks towards you and a layer of frost blackens the spines of the books around him/her/it

“Why isn’t it the girl who was and wasn’t Summer? And how are the Rude Mechanicals? What a Dream this is…

They didn’t anticipate this… but that will make it all the more fun… no, don’t go anywhere, just wait there for my associate…”
RdMarquis
[Sunday September 29th, 2075, NeoNet Datafarm, Archive Host, Fort Lewis, Seattle]

LeFey was admiring the scenery when she remembered what she was here for. She had always loved old libraries. Luckily no one was watching. Or so she thought, until she started working. What? A familiar cold washes over her, leaving LeFey feeling numb. There was more at work than a simple Matrix connection. She could sense it. The order embodied by digital coding was lacking, and the dormant potential of raw Resonance even more so. All that remained was, but could not be. Should not be. Nonsensical code that was somehow still gaining form and function within the confines of the host.

She removed her mask to face the speaker properly. LeFey knew this knight. And it had surely recognized her witch persona. "What would you call me, then? Spring?" Her voice wavers slightly, but LeFey stands her ground. She had to. Riley wasn't here to watch her back this time. Which wasn't to say she was alone. <Al? Jan? Ali? There's been a complication. I will get back to you with more information presently. Or scream for help. Also...> She deeply wished she had a picture of Winter to show them. <If you wind up fighting a person with long white hair, make them a priority target. They're dangerous.> LeFey shudders inwardly. Dangerous or not, that sounded far too much like ordering someone's death.
adamu

The urgency of the voice in his ear startled Al into something resembling wakefulness. <<Standin' by, girl. Jist say the word an' we blow the pipes and cavalry to the rescue.>> Dragged his feet off the dash and started the van's engine.
Aria

@LeFey:

Winter continues to muse out loud to him/her/itself whilst pinning you in its icy stare, the persona’s fingers writhe as it calls in information from the datasphere

“You wouldn’t have come alone now would you, pretty little thing like you…let’s see, who else is in the building…? Ah, there she is, poor Mr Douglas, he got more than he bargained for when he came to work this morning. But surely there aren’t just two of you…? Where’s your back up? Tell me girl…” and it negligently swipes at you with a freezing spike of Dissonance, the corrupted code leaves a trail of icicles between its persona and your own and ripples around you, distorting your connection to the very power that allows you to be present here without the trappings of technology…
RdMarquis

A magic circle flares to life beneath her, scattering the threatening frost. "You'll find out soon enough, I'm sure." Speaking of which... <I'm probably not doing myself any favors, but please wait a little longer. And be on your guard. Winter wasn't alone the last time we met. There was a small army with it.> The hell of it was, they still knew almost nothing of what was going on. Except that the Dissonance was involved.
Aria

Winter frowned at your rejoinder “Don’t be impertinent girl! As soon as my spite has hacked your colleague’s link I will know exactly where your team are…perhaps in the meantime I will alert poor Mr Douglas that his companion is not all she seems? That should distract her for a few moments don’t you think?”
RdMarquis

LeFey gives him a look of disgust. "Impertinent? Maybe after you've earned my respect." She steps out of the circle, dreading her next move. Stopping Winter would require a far better understanding of its Persona. And if it was anything resembling what she was (a thought that kept her up at night), the effort would tell her more about the Dissonant technomancer than she ever wanted to know. It had to be done. LeFey opens her eyes to the underlying code of the digital world.
mister__joshua
Jan
[Sunday September 29th, 2075, Back of Van, Outside NeoNet Datafarm, Fort Lewis, Seattle]

Jan shut off his commlink. He barely used it anyway. Him and Al had been carefully selected for this work, he was sure. You'd struggle to find two sams in the whole of the Emerald City less reliant on technology. Hell, he'd never even seen the Emerald City. He quickly went over his final prep before concealing his armaments and joining Al in the front of the van. "It's gefok, bra. Looking time we made an entrance"
Aria

Winter laughs, a chilling sound with no mirth in it “I do not require your respect girl…and I do not make threats…here…” and he/she/it opens an AR window showing the room with Ali and Mr Douglas in it…the sound is strange, picked up by a surveillance device in the room no doubt…Mr Douglas answers his link after excusing himself from Ali “What? No, I…that can’t be right, her credentials… I…”
adamu
[Sunday September 29th, 2075, Back of Van, Outside NeoNet Datafarm, Fort Lewis, Seattle]

Al's teeth bit half through the Lucky in his mouth, but otherwise he seemed calm. Following Jan's lead, he switched his commlink off manually. "Yup. Gefok." As always.

"Geeka chica said wait, an' don't hardly wanna queer her play…" but Peaches was in there too, and that made the elf's impatience pretty convincing. He fingered the back-up detonator, but without knowing what sort of shielding the place had, he wasn't even sure it would work. He really wanted to wait for Peaches to use the primary.

So he pulled the van away from the curb, but nice and easy. Doing his best to talk like the shadowrunners he'd seen on the trid, he keyed his microtransceiver: <<Can we git a status update...>> Did they have call signs or something? Whatever. <<Are we still going with Plan A?>> he asked, referring to the plumbing van plan, <<Or plan B?>>

Whatever Plan B was.

RdMarquis

<Ali.> LeFey seems distracted. <I think my, ah, friend has told Mr. Douglas about our actual purpose here. Watch your back.> It was hardly the time, but she had to wonder whether Winter's message was an anonymous tip or a warning from a colleague.
Vegas

Standing alone in the middle of the area outside the server farm, tension shimmered behind Ali's amber eyes for an instant at LeFey's warning, the only sign betraying the calm, cool exterior she projected. She watched Mr. Douglas' body language from her vantage point, trying desperately not to let her eyes search for LeFey.

Instead she channeled her nervous energy into fingering the oversized dial of her vintage watch that graced her left wrist. The timepiece was archaic, non-functional as far as telling time goes. As a detonator for the explosives still nestled in the women's restroom went, it was top notch. It was their insurance plan should for some reason Al and Jan couldn't trigger the detonation from their outside vantage point.

<<@all: Copy. Our time inside may be limited at best.>>

She watched as Mr. Douglas has ended his call and started to make his way back towards her at about the same time she noticed two of the company's security team entering the space from doors across from her. As Douglas came within earshot she slipped back into the haughty executive role as she spoke up.

"Is there a problem Mr. Douglas?" She made a point to glance towards her wrist. "I am on a tight timeline even though it's simply a Sunday evening."

<<@all: I've got security headed my way. If they have plans to remove me, I'll fire the trigger and cause one hell of a distraction and summon the calvary. LeFey, watch your back girl, if they escort me out of here, they won't be long till they're coming for you.>>
adamu

Al was already chomping at the bit, and beside him he could feel Jan's readiness for action as well.

Peaches' transmission was all he needed to make the call.

<<This is flyin' south faster'n snow geese mainlinin' novacoke. Hit it now, girl, then hold the fort till we's through they outer perimeter.>>

And with that he thumbed his own detonator, just to be sure.

Then, idling just two blocks away from the site, he waited for the call to come in.
adamu

It was less than ten seconds before the call came in. Even if no one had noticed the blast and subsequent water flow into the ladies’ room, the server farm would have moisture sensors, not to mention diagnostic RFIDs on the piping joints. The automated system would call the plumbers first - the supervisors could always cancel the order if they determined the problem wasn’t serious.

Well, the damage Al had engineered would not be something a simple patch could fix.

So the two men rolled up to the site, and the ARO on the van - registered to not only the contracted plumbing provider but even the work team the call had gone out to - got them through the gates and up to the service entrance to the server farm.

They parked, opened up the back, and offloaded the pump unit, a rudimentary drone that could be controlled from a dedicated handset. It little electric motor whined under the strain of the deadly payload Al and Jan had stuffed its innards with, the Al had made sure it could handle the weight.

A trio of security guards, in light ballistic armor and toting SMGs, approached as they worked. In typical blue collar fashion, the human ne’er-do-well and the elf merc ignored them for as long as possible, used to the tedious impediments such security formalities always were to them getting on with their jobs. But the guard with the sergeant stripes didn’t seem at all relaxed.

“Where are your IDs, gentlemen?”

The small human shrugged, indicating the gray company coveralls he wore, “Al” embroidered on the breast. “Can’t ya read ‘em? They’s inna suits.”

“Watch your tongue, pipe monkey. The tags in the suits check out. That’s why you’re still alive. But we require cross-checks against your personal IDs. Where the hell are your commlinks?”

As usual in situations like this, Al blanked completely. Struggling to recover, he stammered, “Commlinks? Right, management won’t allow ‘em.”

The guard looked incredulous, and this back-ups shifted their weapons in their grips.

“Time theft, ya know. Muh pore Maisy, she ain’t seen the light o’ day fer goin’ on two years now, confined ta her sick bed an’ wastin’ away. Hell, it’s all she can do ta give suck to the five little ones. So I was always callin’ her, tryin’ ta raise her spirits up a bit. An’ this one,” Al said, nodding at Jan, “Rough trade ork porn. Purty much twenny-four-seven.”

The guards waved them along in exasperation, leading them toward the offending restroom. And as expected, the foil with which Al had lined the interior or the emptied out pump unit fooled the door scanners.

<<Alrighty, ladies, we's in.>>
Aria

Easy, too easy perhaps…with Jan and Al directed towards the explosive leak the place seems to empty of people. Subtle AR messages alert the small workforce that there is a mechanical failure and that Protocol 63delta is in operation, whatever the hell that is. Ali is all too aware of the suspicious looks being thrown at her by Mr Douglas but that doesn’t seem to extend to his security force…

“Miss, I am sorry, there appears to be a technical fault. As a precaution the data load is being redirected to our facility in Portland to ensure continuity for our customers. Would you care to accompany me back to the admin block where the setting is more comfortable? Your assistant…?”

At least you are all converging again, the feeling of being isolated is uncomfortable, particularly after the events in the Sound facility not that long ago. The adage of strength in numbers holds true even in these days of instant communication and virtual presence

[Sunday September 29th, 2075, NeoNet Datafarm, Offline Archive, Fort Lewis, Seattle] @LeFey

As your spells work at the disturbing persona of Winter trying to ascertain its purpose you can feel its connection to the Resonance is like and yet unlike your own. Your probe leaves a sour taste in your mouth, like dipping your hand into a pool laced with chemical effluent. It’s not running any forms that you recognise but there is definitely a connection to an off host sprite, something like a crack sprite you suspect. What is perhaps more worrying is the manipulation of the host that you can feel, particularly as that seems to manifest as the summoning of IC…

The monstrosity that appears is almost tame by comparison to Winter’s presence, but you instantly recognise grey IC…damn, being link locked in here would not be good for your health!
adamu

Ankle-deep in effluent, Al surveyed his handiwork with not a little pride. Water was flowing steadily out of a fairly small aperture at floor level - his charge had been just right, blowing the pipe with just enough overpressure to give the brownish outflow somewhere conspicuous to go. It was already creeping under the restroom door and out into a hall connecting to the farm itself.

He moved over to the hollowed-out pump unit and fiddled with it until the cap was loose enough that he and Jan could get to their weapons fast.

Then the water stopped flowing.

“Okay, they’ve stopped the main.” The guard reflexively touched his ear. “But we need the flow back yesterday, so get it patched.” Inside that Christian’s ear, some Cyrano was whispering every secret this place had.

Sure, Al could patch their pipe lickety-split. But that would kind of defeat their purpose. He took a brass tip straight peen out of his tool box, knocked away a couple of tiles to enlarge the hole.

Drew back. “Hooo-eeee. Smells like Uncle Klute when they rolls ‘im over fer his monthly sponge bath.” Walked up to the guards. “Takes four men to do it, an’ that’s if ya grease ‘im up.” Hammer still in hand. “Always find somethin’ innerestin’ under there.” Cigarette in his mouth. “Hell, this one time we found a whole family o’ rats, been livin’ off his scraps.” Gestures for a light. “Course, that didn’t help much with the smell.” Leans in closer to catch the flame. “Good smoke’s only way ta even breathe, ya know?” His hand gripped the hammer just a bit more tightly - he wanted their comms.
Vegas

Ali breathed only a slight sigh of relief as the pair of security guards didn’t make a beeline towards her to escort her off the property. As for LeFey, Ali tried to stall for any additional time for the girl to work her magic amidst the servers, or better yet do something about Winter.

"I'm sure my assistant will be right out, especially if there's a problem? Of course we'll accompany you back to the Admin building and we'll get out of your way so you can put out the fires you need to."

She smiled a knowing smile that seem to sympathize with Mr. Douglas and knew the long night he had ahead of him. She pulled her commlink from her pocket and busied herself with what appeared to be work as she manipulated the microtranceivers to get out one last message to the team.

<<@all: Our time here is up. LeFey come out here or our friend is going to get even more suspicious and send security in. All their data is being diverted to Portland, not sure you're going to get lucky here now that the pipe is blown.>>
RdMarquis
[Sunday September 29th, 2075, NeoNet Datafarm, Offline Archive, Fort Lewis, Seattle]

It could not be helped. They were simply out of time. Though part of her wanted to pursue this mystery further, a different part was glad for an excuse to tear her eyes away from the wrongness of his power. LeFey gives him a parting shot as a hole opens in the wall of the host. "We'll meet again."

She snatches her gear and hurries toward Ali's position. <Portland? Then why were we sent here?> There were a number of possible answers, few of which were good.
mister__joshua
Jan

Al was about to strike. He could sense it. And it was important these guys didn't get to speak. Jan was bent over a toolbox, but his focus was on his periphery and Al. As the hammer started it's upwards arc towards the man's skull Jan pushed off the ground and launched his fist into the second man's throat. His speed was incredible, the maneuvre like something Ken might do on Street Fighter XXIV®. Time seemed to move in slow motion until the sickening crack as unfortunate guard's windpipe was crushed. Tears gushed from the man's eyes and he clutched his neck as he fell. Jan removed his earpiece before he hit the floor, turning to see what sort of mess Al had made with his less subtle 'hammer' approach.
adamu

Once he knew Jan was ready, Al swung the hammer up in mid-sentence, just as his description of Uncle Klute's personal hygiene issues became uncomfortably graphic. He struck the hapless guard in the chin and, without waiting to see if the man dropped, brought the head down to the man's right knee.
Aria

@Jan & Al
The two guards drop like poleaxed wilderbeast, only for you to see a tell tale blinking on their wrist links...damn, they were wearing biomonitors...!

@LeFey
Leaving the archive room you are momentarily at a loss...Ali has been escorted back towards admin, perhaps its time to join Al and Jan outside the data farm area? Whatever you do you'd rather do it before Winter makes his/her/it's next move...

@Ali
As you head back towards Admin Mr Douglas leans in close so that he can't be overheard by the guards

"I know what you are...if you promise not to hurt me perhaps I can help you...?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012