Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armour and Modifications
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Klothos
i've recently acquired a contact who is able to make me some lovely med. security armour (with helmet) modified how i want it.

I don't have access to CC atm, only the NSRCG (char generator, wish doesn't give me the info i require) so i was hoping you guys and girls could help me out.

I don't think cost will be an issue due to the circumstances i got this contact, now i know i can have 11 "points" of modification on the torse (Gel pack, Chem seal, 5 conductive, 4 insulated) but the helmet is baffling me.

Does adding all the visions, comp, respirator, signal locator and tracksignal take off modification points for the helmet or is that just for the insulating/conducting of armour?

Any help would be great
TinkerGnome
A few things:

1) You probably need to read Gel Packs in full in the CC. They have a nasty side effect for making armor more of a burden.

2) I wouldn't do modifications in a helmet. It should just have the same properties as the rest of the armor and doesn't add to or take away those modifications. YMMV.

3) Built in devices don't have anything to do with modification limits, so you're free to have 300 of them without worrying about not being able to use thermal dampning.
Eyeless Blond
Plus I'm pretty sure Chem Seal has a rating on it.

If you plan on doing any sneaking at all get Thermal Dampening. In fact, get it anyway, if you can; keeps those pesky drone sensors from targetting you.
Entropy Kid
I'm pretty sure Chem Seal has a rating on it.
You're right, it does. Works just like the others, -1 attack power per point.

You probably need to read Gel Packs in full in the CC. They have a nasty side effect for making armor more of a burden.
Gel packs add a virtual 50% more armor rating for determing loss of Combat Pool-- in light security armor, you'll be calculating loss as if you had 9/6 armor, 10/7 in heavy sec armor. Knockdown tests will also be done at +2TN.

Why the insulation modification though? Fire-resistence will probably be more useful (depending where you run).
Klothos
Gel packs add a virtual 50% more armor rating for determing loss of Combat Pool
Crap... forgot about that rule, but wouldn't it be better to be "immune" to power 7> hit, staging down the hit 1 damagelevel, than not having an extra 2-4 combat dice?

Why the insulation modification though? Fire-resistence will probably be more useful
Sorry i was getting confused with the names, theres 2, one helps against fire damage and the other electric/lightning. Im wanting half and half, as a mage a run with regularly casts nova with me in the way sarcastic.gif.

If you plan on doing any sneaking at all get Thermal Dampening.
This isn't going to be my recon suit, hopefully ill be able to judge what gear ill need for a run and wear accordingly, and if a drone doesn't see me on thermal im sure it would pick me up on a different sensor :/

Well so far i've come up with a build costing nearly 94k, and thats without the layering of non-conductive materials and gel packing. Also as i only have the NSRCharGen to go by atm (chem seal has no rating by this and costs just 12k) would a chem seal rt 5 take off 5 "modification" points?
A Clockwork Lime
Gel Packing armor won't stage the Damage Level down. That's a benefit of Vehicle Armor, not Hardened. It'd be far cheaper (both nuyen and Street Index) and easier (lower Availability) to just get some light Milspec Armor. If the GM's allowing you to get Gel Packed Security Armor, I can't think of any reason why something cheaper, easier, just as legal, only better isn't available, too. But if it's Security Armor and Security Armor alone, that's cool, too. I just wouldn't bother Gel Packing it. smile.gif

What I would go for would be a complete Ruthenium Polymer treatment with 12 Scanners, Fire Resistance 4, Nonconductive 4, Thermal Dampening 4, and Insulation 1. If the GM is really letting you get anything you want, I have only one word: Dikote. smile.gif I'd pass on the Gel Pack all around. Near-invisibility trumps invulnerability to, uhh, SMGs and Light Pistols any day.

After that, just get a full Hazmat EnviroSeal, and all the standard fixin's for full armor. Communications, visual enhancements, HUD computer, signal locators, etc.

The only problem is finding a place where you can wear it on a regular basis. It's pretty useless on most shadowruns, at least the ones I tend to prefer.
Klothos
Ok... call me a nub, but how does Dikote effect armour ratings? and also how would you work out how much is needed to cover an entire suit? I can imagine its gonna be lots... frown.gif

Gel Packing armor won't stage the Damage Level down
Im under the impression that gel packed armour stages the damage code down 1 level, after rolling your dice, ie. You take a serious wound in a firefight, but your gel pack absorbs some of the impact thus making it a moderate wound. If this is incorrect then we've been playing it wrong all the time :O and my group is/are obssesed with gel packing every piece of armour they can get hold of nyahnyah.gif

So when calculating how many modifications i can do, do i take into account the armour rating of the helm, i got 11 from body and 3 from the helm?, thus giving me 14 points to spend on insulating,fire resistance etc
A Clockwork Lime
Dikote raises the Ballistic and Impact Armor ratings by +1 each and gives the armor a Barrier Rating for certain purposes. Generally it's not worth the cost since Dikote has insane costs, but according to your original post, you were implying the GM was just letting you go crazy with it. So if that were true, you might as well do it. smile.gif

Gel-packed armor (unless my memory is totally failing me) only converts standard armor to hardened armor. Hardened armor just means that it ignores any attack with a Power equal to or lower than its ratings. Vehicles have rules for staging down an attack, but that has nothing to do with armor ratings.

As far as what modifications you can take, it's really up to the GM. But if it's a problem, just get 11 points worth for the armor and another 3 seperate points for the helmet -- that's 100% rules-legal. For example, Thermal Dampening 6, Insulation 1, and Fire Resistance 4 for the armor and Nonconductive 3 for the helmet. By a strict reading of Magic in the Shadows, it only takes 1 point of Insulation to completely negate any spell with Elemental Ice associated with it. But I admit it is pretty cheesy and you'd be better off putting that modification point somewhere else, such as boosting Fire Resistance or something.

Ruthenium polymers doesn't count against your limit. If you have a huge budget, GET IT. There's no reason not to if you can afford it. You'll be at +12 against any visual tests, and with that Thermal Dampening 6, you'll be at +12 against thermosense as well. Against other forms of detection, such as a vehicle's sensors or ultrasound, you're still at +6. Ruthenium = Good Stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012