Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decking Flowchart
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Opti
Hoi.
I don't do decking. I pay people to get on the matrix for me. But still, some of my 'runners insist on being Deckers, so I put this together after a few hours of painstaking matrix review. But do me a solid, chummers, look it over and tell me what is missing and what is wrong. It isn't meant to be exhaustive, just to to help dumb Opti and his deckers to wrap their mind around the matrix as beginners.

Matrix Flowchart for Dummies V8
Kyrel
Looks nice. The scary thing, however, is that this flowchart is a "simple" illustration of the process...*LOL*
Opti
I suppose I could have simply used one box each for Interface Mode (AR/Cold Sim/Hot Sim), Grid, Running Silent, and Noise, but this seemed to be the most time saving for me, anyway.
Opti
Made some aesthetic changes, consolidated some, and moved some stuff around.
Moirdryd
At a glance I;d say it's very good and a very solid way of keeping up with a ruleset you may be unfamilliar with at a given point. Very handy for a decker Player certainly and especially if they are new.
adamu
Dude, this looks sooooo useful.

Thanks for sharing!
Opti
Updated based on feedback. This version clears up public grid and host info.
Opti
updated based on feedback.
hermit
This is nice. Personally, I'd use different hues of a color (red) and use the standard SR page background for an "SR5" look, but that's really just cosmetics. Very useful.

Need to do something like this for SR4.
Opti
I can't find any images that would be appropriate (or wouldn't feel like I was breaking some kind of law). But if you can suggest one, I'll try to throw it in.
Sternenwind
+3 Karma, some cookies and a piece of cake.
Opti
K, I'm done with the cookies and cake. When's the next desert coming?
Game2BHappy
First - what a great resource! Sometimes it seems nothing humbles me more as a GM than when a matrix scene sneaks up on us and we start fumbling around. Most of the time I make up / simplify most of the rules to help move on and this may leave some players a bit wanting (especially if they have actually done their homework on their character's abilities).

I feel silly for asking for more on such a great project, but perhaps page references in the boxes?
Smash
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 14 2015, 09:46 PM) *
Need to do something like this for SR4.

That would just be one box with "WTF?" written in it smile.gif

This chart looks pretty good. No specific feedback although one thing I've often thought about is to come up with a few fairly usual scenarios and walk through them so people can get an idea of how the actions work (including me).

For instance: Say you hack a safe. How do you open it? Do you just mark it 3 times and then use control device? This seems no harder than opening any door? Should this just be represented by Safes having high device ratings? Should you need to find a file with the correct code, decrypt it, etc.

I think a few of these would benefit decking no end.
Opti
QUOTE (Smash @ Jan 21 2015, 06:11 PM) *
That would just be one box with "WTF?" written in it smile.gif

This chart looks pretty good. No specific feedback although one thing I've often thought about is to come up with a few fairly usual scenarios and walk through them so people can get an idea of how the actions work (including me).

For instance: Say you hack a safe. How do you open it? Do you just mark it 3 times and then use control device? This seems no harder than opening any door? Should this just be represented by Safes having high device ratings? Should you need to find a file with the correct code, decrypt it, etc.

I think a few of these would benefit decking no end.

I'll leave that for someone else, lol. But if anyone wants to throw together some sample decking runs, I will gladly link to them.
Smash
You could probably clean it up a bit by losing the yes/no boxes and just having the text between action boxes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012