Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this addressed in any of the books....
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Leviathan
Ok, my character has a set of retractable spurs, and I'm currently toying with the idea of having them made out of Ceramic or similar, ie, something that doesn't set of a MAD.
Is this type of thing addressed in any of the books?
snowRaven
In the novel...hmmm, I forgot the name of it now - the one which features Ronin (Technobabel?) - it is stated that he has a spur of non-metallic material. I think it was a monofilament edge graphite blde or something... Don't have access to the book right now, unfortunately.

Maybe use the Ceramic Components rule for firearms in CC? Hgher conc against metal detectors and lower weight for an increase in cost?
Kagetenshi
Technobabel. I always read that as indicating that the spur was beta- or delta-grade.

~J
Lilt
I would let someone buy a replacement blade made of some ceramic substance... Probably at a cost of around 1k for a + to the weapon's concealability versus MAD scanners.

There may still be metal in the mechanism for it though... Perhaps say a flat +3.5k to get it made in all ceramics? This is based looseley on the prices for guns where it costs about 1/2 the DPV of the frame to fully ceramicify it...
Rock-Steady
What about the rule for enhanced conceal(page 291)?

Ok it says elektronic equipment but who cares?

It's a start.
Leviathan
I dare say that concealing electronic equipment is different to concealing what is effectively a knife from a metal detector.
I like Lilt's idea, I shall run it by the DM.
Cain
I believe that it's merely the grade that helped it get past the detectors. A high-enough grade cyberweapon is harder to detect, presumably because it's ceramic or somesuch.

I personally have no trouble allowing a cyberspur to be made out of ceramic. You don't dectect cyber with metal detectors; you detect it with cybernetic scanners. Regardless of what it's made of, I rule that it equally trips off all cyber scanners based on grade alone.
Leviathan
My GM has determined that I can have ceramic spurs, totally undetectable on metal detectors, for +50% of the cost.
BitBasher
Allowing ware to be more concealable for a paltry extra cost devaluates higher grade cyber, as that's the point for beta and delta grade.

I would say that the spur in question, inclusing the necessary bone reinforcement and internal mechanisms and anchoring all have to change, which makes it deltaware if you want the best chance.
Arethusa
Uh, no, BitBasher, I'm pretty sure the real point of Beta and Delta is to allow you to shove more Beta and Delta in yourself before you go cyberzombie on us. Concealability is really secondary.

Besides, concealing a weapon should not be something that is only available to high end corporate interests. It practically takes divine (or, hell, infernal) intervention to get a runner some Deltaware in a game run by anyone older than 15.
BitBasher
Uh, no, BitBasher, I'm pretty sure the real point of Beta and Delta is to allow you to shove more Beta and Delta in yourself before you go cyberzombie on us. Concealability is really secondary.
That of course dpends on what you're aiming for. Ive made a cat burgular in the past that was magically active and shelled out for higher grade ware specifically to get through scanners. He could have crammed in more for no more magic loss but nothing else really made sense for the character.

Besides, concealing a weapon should not be something that is only available to high end corporate interests. It practically takes divine (or, hell, infernal) intervention to get a runner some Deltaware in a game run by anyone older than 15.
On the other hand, it benefits the corps if somehting highly concealable is only available to corporate interests, or costs a buttload of cash to you otherwise.
A Clockwork Lime
If he were magically active, why not put all the time and money into researching a spell or adept power to help deceive scanners?
BitBasher
Because not all mages are interested in researching spells, and he wasn't one of the interested ones.
Arethusa
QUOTE (BitBasher @ May 10 2004, 03:50 PM)
That of course dpends on what you're aiming for. Ive made a cat burgular in the past that was magically active and shelled out for higher grade ware specifically to get through scanners. He could have crammed in more for no more magic loss but nothing else really made sense for the character.

On the other hand, it benefits the corps if somehting highly concealable is only available to corporate interests, or costs a buttload of cash to you otherwise.

My point is that Beta shouldn't be available to anyone who isn't either massively well connected (on a level a Shadowrunner likely will never be) or working for someone with a lot of money. Special ops types working for Ares would likely be packing it. Special criminals, on the other hand, not nearly so likely. Delta is completely out of the question, given how tightly that stuff is controlled and how ridiculously expensive it is.
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Because not all mages are interested in researching spells, and he wasn't one of the interested ones.

Silly me for assuming a magician would look to magic, especially if it were cheaper and easier to acquire.
simonw2000
You can have cyber weapons for weapon foci, you know.
Vharn
I'd go along with Cain's opinion...

Why don't make some pressed carbid spurs? helps concealing against metal detectors...though cyberware scanners still would detect it..

just bad that those types of scanners and detectors are quite cheap... wink.gif
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Uh, no, BitBasher, I'm pretty sure the real point of Beta and Delta is to allow you to shove more Beta and Delta in yourself before you go cyberzombie on us.  Concealability is really secondary.

Bitbasher is right about that.

*points to M&M, page 145 "Implant Detection Table".*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012