Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radar
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shortstraw
Linky.
ShadowDragon8685
Welp, this is already super-illegal. The Supreme Court already handed down a "no fuck you" ruling regarding using sensors to determine what was going on inside people's homes beyond visual-range light they could observe through uncovered openings and windows, when the cops nailed someone on the strength of the infrared signature of all of his grow-plants and the SCOTUS said that was unkosher.
Mantis
That doesn't stop them from using it. It just stops them from using it as evidence. They'll use what they find by doing this to try to dig up other evidence they can use.
ShadowDragon8685
IANAL, but that tastes a lot like Fruit of the Poisonous Tree to me.
Sendaz
Be interesting to see what wavelength they are using as someone will no doubt be working on a jammer for this.

SirBedevere
Civil Liberties? Enjoy them while you got 'em, they won't last long frown.gif
Shaidar
It isn't illegal if they have a warrant.
Mantis
QUOTE (Shaidar @ Jan 22 2015, 08:54 AM) *
It isn't illegal if they have a warrant.

Yeah except according to the article no judge would issue a warrant because it is illegal.
Shaidar
On the contrary Mantis, the article says the exact opposite.

The technology raises legal and privacy issues because the U.S. Supreme Court has said officers generally cannot use high-tech sensors to tell them about the inside of a person's house without first obtaining a search warrant.

the Marshals Service "routinely pursues and arrests violent offenders based on pre-established probable cause in arrest warrants" for serious crimes.

The Supreme Court ruled in 2001 that the Constitution generally bars police from scanning the outside of a house with a thermal camera unless they have a warrant, and specifically noted that the rule would apply to radar-based systems that were then being developed.

Three judges on the federal 10th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the search,

Emphasis mine.
Mantis
I stand corrected. Also, that sucks. The warrant bit, not that I stand corrected.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012