Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC request
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mach_Ten
So not every adventure or campaign or mission needs a BBEG, right?

I'm looking to build a series of missions in which not every opponent is a gun wielding 1-million nuyen SAM
or a fully initiated Drake mage flinging mana balls all over the place.

and sad to say magic is my weak point now in SR3 (I've even managed to get my head round decking)

So I require the help of DS ... the BATMAN of the hospitality industry,

the magic user that is cool under pressure, brooks no insult to his staff, and can evacuate 100 people from the Towering Inferno in under a minute.

he is the James Bond of the kitchen, the Metahuman equivalent of Dunkelzahn if he had a day job.

the caveat is obviously, this is NOT a runner, he has no combat experience and NO combat (overtly) spells

and he has the backing of Corporate Security just a call away

So ... Ideas please ?
Sendaz
You want an Alfred, or a younger Anthony Hopkins.

Start with good British stock, an upper class accent accent alone makes him sound cool and in control.
Though a mixed British/Caribbean blood line does give some character and flavour. (think Colin Salmon maybe?)

A master of Metacooking (has to know how to use all those awakened meats, fruits and veggies after all)

Don't limit oneself to just a male gender, maybe a female masterchef with sharp wit and sharper knives.
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jan 27 2015, 03:39 PM) *
You want an Alfred

exactly ... but an awakened one

completely cool under pressure and very capable in his environment.

What spells would such a person wield and how

i.e.

Theres a mass version of mind control I think, like calm emotions, he gets a Mob of patrons to leave the burning building in an orderly fashion

or there's levitate for helping tired staff with heavy delivery silver service.

Fashion & Makeover for the guests arrived in a hurry on a blustery night without proper attire

Sterilise or clean for the drunkenly spilled wine stains

I'm looking at utility here ... but when the excrement meets the rotational wind motivator, it needs to be potentially something awesome

Animate Tables to block a group of robbers etc.
Kyrel
I don't have any idea about SR3, but if it were SR4 and I'd want a mage master butler I'd probably go for something amongst the following:

Analyze Truth - Are we telling the truth young master? I'm sorry Sir, but I'm affraid that the gentleman is lying.
Catalog - practical for a quick inventory. Are we running low on something that need to be purchased?
Detect Life, Extended - Is anything around?
Detect Magic, Extended - Is the master walking into any unseen magical danger?
Diagnose - Do we need to call in a doctor?
Mind Probe - Her ladyship's jewelry is missing, and we are going to eliminate the possibility of the thief being a member of staff. Employee background check and motivation for employment.
Night Vision - So we don't need to turn on the light and risk awakening the master.
Thermographic Vision - Same as Night Vision, but for places without any light.
Translate - For when an interpreter is needed.
Alleviate Allergy - it is no good for the master not to be on peak performance.
Antidote* - Good lords! The master's been poisoned. Call an ambulance while I tend to his wellbeing.
Awaken - For when someone need to get moving RIGHT NOW!
Crank - For those long working nights.
Cure Disease - To ensure that the master is on peak performance for as much of the time as possible.
Detox - The hangover cure.
Heal - Because once in a while someone gets hurt, and it's cheaper than a hospital stay.
Healthy Glow - Because the master and one self must always look presentable. Even the day after a party.
Nutrition - For when work just doesn't permit time for a lunchbreak, or if the master gets hungry, and circumstances just doesn't allow for a proper meal to be arranged.
Stabilize - For if the master gets hurt (or another employee. Deaths do not look good with regards to the insurrance...)
Dream - For when the master could use a pleasant dream.
Entertainment - For the master's entertainment, or for visiting guests.
Improved Invisibility - Because once in a while, it is necessary for the master to be able to leave unseen. Or for when it is inconvenient for one self to be seen moving from one place to another.
Orgasm - The master should leave a good impression, when he has company in bed.
Orgy - The master might enjoy the company of more than one person.
Physical Mask - For when the master need to be more discrete.
Silence - The master should not be awakened.
Sound Barrier - For when the master require quiet.
Trid Entertainment - Entertainment purposes naturally.
Trid Phantasm - Appearance is everything.
Vehicle Mask - The master occasionally need to draw less attention.
Alter Temperature - See to the master's comfort, also outside of the home.
Armor - The master must be protected.
Astral Armor - The master must be protected. Also against astral threats.
Calm Animal - Because an enraged animal is dangerous and noisy.
Compel Truth - For those times when you need to know that the staff is telling the truth.
Deflection - The master must be protected.
Fashion - The master and one self need to look the part at all times.
Fix - Because things can break at impractical times.
Ignite - For lighting the fireplace the fast and easy way.
Levitate - For moving heavy things about.
Light - For when a torchlight is not available or practical.
Lock - Some times a door need to be locked, even if no key is available.
Makeover - The master and one self need to look the part at all times.
Physical Barrier - Protection and to insure that a "guest" is not leaving quite so soon.
Preserve - To ensure that food stays fresh before being served.
Spirit Barrier - Because an uninvited spirit might need to be persuaded to go elsewhere.
Sterilize - Cleaning.
Turn to Goo - Because a thug is not a threat, when he is a puddle on the floor.
Sternenwind
Detect Enemy (totaly overpowered)
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Sternenwind @ Jan 29 2015, 05:17 PM) *

it's for peasants that can't afford the restaurant bill and intend to do a runner !
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sternenwind @ Jan 29 2015, 10:17 AM) *

Why?
Technically, they would have to have deadly intent to the one with the spell active to register (not friends, acquaintances, or business entity but the one with the spell active specifically). While it is a nice spell, it is very specific in what it detects.

Awesome idea for an NPC Mach_Ten. smile.gif
Sternenwind
Detect Enemies
QUOTE ("Detect Enemies")
The subject can detect living targets ... who have hostile intention toward him. ... The spell can detect targets preparing an ambush or other surprise attack.

Nothing about it has to be deadly or the caster is the only benefactor of the spell.
You cast it on someone, and he will know if someone else, in range, has the intent to harm him.
Shemhazai
Sadly, this is the only clip I could find of Patrick Stewart in L.A. Story.

"The New Cruelty" from L.A. STORY
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sternenwind @ Jan 29 2015, 12:08 PM) *
Nothing about it has to be deadly or the caster is the only benefactor of the spell.
You cast it on someone, and he will know if someone else, in range, has the intent to harm him.

Excuse me... HOSTILE intention (in my book, HARM/HOSTILE is synonymous with deadly intent. There really is nothing considered non-lethal, just less lethal)... but skipping out on paying the meal is not actively Hostile to anyone. smile.gif

And I did not say the caster was the one who benefitted, you read that into what I said... I said "the Subject". smile.gif
Sternenwind
subject .... sry
Hostile intent - harmful intent but not necessary deadly intent.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sternenwind @ Jan 29 2015, 04:54 PM) *
Hostile intent - harmful intent but not necessary deadly intent.

Point of View difference, most likely. I come at it from a USMC standpoint, so I am a little biased, to be sure. A hostile needs to be put down in the most direct and expedient manner, so... smile.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Jan 29 2015, 11:16 AM) *
I don't have any idea about SR3, but if it were SR4 and I'd want a mage master butler I'd probably go for something amongst the following:

<snip>
+1 on the list, covered a lot of bases there.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
You could also add:

Area Thought Recognition - More useful to find those with intent contrary to your responsibility, and great for checking upon the needs of those around you.
Clean [Elements; Preference] - Must keep the area neat and presentable after all...
Detect [Objects; Preference] - Sometimes people are good at concealing things from observation/sensors
Extended Clairaudience - Hearing without being heard
Extended Clairvoyance - Seeing without being seen
Increased Charisma - Should not have to explain the utility of that for a Butler type.
Increased Intuition - Should not have to explain the utility of that for a Butler type. smile.gif
Mindnet/Extended Mindnet - Immediate coordination of staff that ignores surveillance practices.
Resist Pain - When you just have to keep going, no matter the circumstance.
Sludge [RFID Tags] - Cannot allow others to track the Master (Personally I would design a custom spell based upon Wreck that was Indirect for such purposes, Less to clean)
Sludge [Sensors] - Cannot allow others to spy on the Master (Personally I would design a custom spell based upon Wreck that was Indirect for such purposes, Less to clean)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012