Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Myers-Briggs to generate character archetypes.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
StreetSammy
So this is something I'm thinking of trying in the future, and I wanted your take on it. What Myers-Briggs type corresponds to what character archetype the best? I'm thinking of using this to generate some characters that match players better. The player's would still have their choice of course, this is more to give them a starting point to try and find what they like.
Glyph
I'm not sure that would be useful. Roleplaying games are escapist fantasy, so characters will often have opposite traits from their players. Someone who is in customer service in his real job might want to play a troll who punches people in the face in the game.
Beta
If the intent is to provide pre-made characters (for a convention game perhaps?) then I could see it being a useful sort of guide, to make sure you've provided a variety of motivations/natural play styles for characters. A few related thoughts:

- no doubt players tend to play characters how they want much of the time, no matter how they are written or what they are designed to do?
- the Keirsey temperament sorter is built on the Myers-Briggs, but first breaks down into four broad categories then sub-divides into the full 16 seen in M-B. Just targeting those four categories (Guardians, Artisans, Rationals, Idealists) might be enough?
- any other category system might give you just as much benefit, the same idea being that it gets you out of your normal head-space. You could think of the four houses in Harry Potter if that is more meaningful to you, for instance, or the medieval temperaments classified by bodily fluids.
- where Myers-Briggs (or Kiersey) might be even more useful in a game with random players is in letting a GM familiar with these types try to get a feel for the players and what may motivate them and what they may be most apt to find fun--not that you can't figure that out as you play, but anything that helps you get a feel for that quickly could help, I'd think?
Wounded Ronin
If you're into detailed role play, why the hell not? Otherwise, it would seem stuff like if your character is "INTJ" or something else wouldn't be relevant to firefights, computer hacking, or what have you.
sk8bcn
I stand with Glyph, I wanna roleplay a character (as much as I can) not play myself.

I've had a test on Myers-Briggs theory and it's really interesting but I don't see any link or use in an RPG.

But that's just my 2 cents, some people tend to stay on their favored playstyle/role so it might be nice for them, maybe...
Iduno
QUOTE (Betx @ Apr 28 2015, 05:01 PM) *
medieval temperaments classified by bodily fluids.

So, the face is sanguine, the rigger melancholic, the shaman phlegmatic, and the troll is choleric? That works better than it really should.

I will raise you one and suggest having a phrenologist determine which archetype you're best suited to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012