Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR4] – Use of intimidation
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Hi Folks,

just a small question: in the street-samurai-book they mention the quality “tank”. This quality lets you use your (unmodified) body-attribute instead of charisma, for uses of intimidation. This makes trolls and orks quite…intimidating. So far so good. We also checked the modifiers for intimidation, they all have been logical and explained well. But nevertheless one question came up: what if your fellow runner tries to use this skill on you? Are there some additional modifiers like e.g. “I know this guy and I know that I can beat his ass, so I am not intimidated”? that negates the use of this skill or is it simply a case for a GM-call? He thinks it is some kind of mundane version of the fear-power, I say that it simply doesn´t work on people that know you well enough
apple
Intimidate, as Seduction, Con etc, are not mind-controlling powers. A lot of people will be intimidated (or seduced) with a good roll, but even that does not guarantee control, just a certain/low/high chance of moving the victim in the right direction. Same goes for you, if you become the target of a social attack. You are not mind controlled and there may be (huge) modifiers accoding on how your character interprets the situation. Depending on what your character is, he may follow orders (or whatever the intimidate roll was for) or he may resist (with fear in his eyes and shaking legs).

And believe, intimidate works on people you now (as do every other social skill). It may be harder, though.

In some cases the GM may not even allow an intimidaten roll, if the outcome of this specific situation is already clear enough (if a small child tries to intimidate a SEAL veteran, regardless of of the 20 successes of the edged roll of the chidl).

SYL
Machiavelli
This was also my interpretation. My fellow runner and I, we play both body 9 trolls. My troll is 3m tall, his 2,4m. Strenght is equal and I know we have the same skills in combat. So I think even if he gets this new quality, I think it is quit unrealistic, that he can really intimidate me. With a gun in his hand while I am unarmed…ok. But just for fun as a dice-roll? Surely not.
apple
Well, intimidate would still work of course, but probably not to the full extend as if your troll would have intimidated a human. There is something in his body gesture which freaks you out etc. But the "level of success" would be different IMHO

SYL
Ryu
One option would be basing the resistance roll on Body, too. Much like the relative "physically imposing" mods. Then there is the "wouldn´t try something that stupid" mod.

If you are intimitated, eleminating the threat is a viable reaction for a runner. You don´t needlessly threaten armed and dangerous criminals. So use with care.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012