Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Data Trails Rules Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BlackJaw
Let's keep this to mechanics and not opinions on story/setting content. (There is a thread for that already)

1) Stealth and Attack Dongles have a listed price of "(Rating)2 X $3000" which is either an editing error and it should be "Rating X $3000" or is a really silly way of writing "Rating X $6000." Which is it?

2) What does the MMRI (AKA: Man Machine Resonance Interface) echo do that the Mind Over Machine echo doesn't already do? They both seem to provide the benefits of a Control Rig equal to their rating. Why do we have two echos for the exact same thing?

3) In order to get allies with you in a Foundation you need to use the Hitchhiker cyberprogram and they have to be in the Host with you when you activate the foundation portal. How exactly are player supposed to be getting non-hackers into a Host system? Are they supposed to be using Stealth Dongles on their commlinks to hack their own entry marks? I had figured the program would let the hitchickes ride along as observers (not personas) on a hack, and allow access to the Foundations too, but that's not really what the book says.

4) The Odd Mod rules imply you can Hardwire Cyberdeck Modules into devices that aren't cyberdecks, but only one. (This is a good thing in my book, as it makes it possible to add military electronics hardening to anything with electronic, making them more resistant to matrix attacks.)

5) It's implied that Dongles fit into a universal data slot, but that they only work on Commlinks. You couldn't stick them into a deck right? (Otherwise you could get a high end Sleaze dongle in your deck and configure it with Sleaze as the lower rating because the dongle would be handling things.)

6) A few of the new Commlinks come with built in Dongles. Does this mean they can still take another normal dongle? Could you stick an attack module in an EVOTECH HIMITSU for example?
Sendaz
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jun 3 2015, 03:07 PM) *
1) Stealth and Attack Dongles have a listed price of "(Rating)2 X $3000" which is either an editing error and it should be "Rating X $3000" or is a really silly way of writing "Rating X $6000." Which is it?
From looking at the other site where this question was asked, the (Rating)2 is supposed to mean Rating squared and they did not use the small raised 2 in printing.
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 3 2015, 04:20 PM) *
From looking at the other site where this question was asked, the (Rating)2 is supposed to mean Rating squared and they did not use the small raised 2 in printing.

Wow. A Rating 6 Sleaze Module is therefore $108,000. I guess they are at least maintaining the CyberDeck "price balance," although it does make me wonder how the Himitsu commlink can come with a rating 5 Sleaze built in for just $11,000.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jun 3 2015, 02:31 PM) *
Wow. A Rating 6 Sleaze Module is therefore $108,000. I guess they are at least maintaining the CyberDeck "price balance," although it does make me wonder how the Himitsu commlink can come with a rating 5 Sleaze built in for just $11,000.

HandwaviumTM... Fixes all ills. smile.gif
Jack VII
Reporting back what Kincaid and others have answered on other boards:

As Sendaz said, the devs have indicated their notes show Rating Squared * 3000

2) What does the MMRI (AKA: Man Machine Resonance Interface) echo do that the Mind Over Machine echo doesn't already do? They both seem to provide the benefits of a Control Rig equal to their rating. Why do we have two echos for the exact same thing?

It's apparently supposed to replace MoM and make it explicitly clear that one does not actually gain all the benefits of a control rig, such as gaining a datajack and plug.

3) In order to get allies with you in a Foundation you need to use the Hitchhiker cyberprogram and they have to be in the Host with you when you activate the foundation portal. How exactly are player supposed to be getting non-hackers into a Host system? Are they supposed to be using Stealth Dongles on their commlinks to hack their own entry marks? I had figured the program would let the hitchickes ride along as observers (not personas) on a hack, and allow access to the Foundations too, but that's not really what the book says.

Don't know about this one, I really haven't even bothered with the Foundation stuff.

4) The Odd Mod rules imply you can Hardwire Cyberdeck Modules into devices that aren't cyberdecks, but only one. (This is a good thing in my book, as it makes it possible to add military electronics hardening to anything with electronic, making them more resistant to matrix attacks.)

Not a question, but that's correct.

5) It's implied that Dongles fit into a universal data slot, but that they only work on Commlinks. You couldn't stick them into a deck right? (Otherwise you could get a high end Sleaze dongle in your deck and configure it with Sleaze as the lower rating because the dongle would be handling things.)

Based on the answer I got that dongles do not fit in RCCs, I imagine they do not work in anything other than a commlink.

6) A few of the new Commlinks come with built in Dongles. Does this mean they can still take another normal dongle? Could you stick an attack module in an EVOTECH HIMITSU for example?

I think the only one that comes with something like that is the Evotech. I don't think that's actually intended to be a dongle, but rather a permanent upgrade to the hardware. No idea why it would be priced that way, although the DR, DP, and FW leave a considerable amount to be desired for any attempts to actually hack with it, even if you slotted an Attack dongle since you can't change up your array on a commlink. Maybe that makes up for it.
BlackJaw
7) How much do Commlink Apps cost?
Jack VII
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Jun 3 2015, 04:03 PM) *
7) How much do Commlink Apps cost?

Just FYI, this was asked but not answered in the SR Tabletop thread. I have no idea, I'd probably say either half the cost of a Common Cyberprogram, 5 nuyen.gif or just throw it in free with the commlink.
Deckbeard
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Jun 3 2015, 06:26 PM) *
Just FYI, this was asked but not answered in the SR Tabletop thread. I have no idea, I'd probably say either half the cost of a Common Cyberprogram, 5 nuyen.gif or just throw it in free with the commlink.

As a GM I'd probably rule that any app is covered n lifestyle as long as your Low or above. For Street and Squatter I would probably agree that you have to pay 5 nuyen.gif. Nothing super expensive but an actual cost.
Voran
rating squared? Ouch.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Voran @ Jun 19 2015, 08:55 AM) *
rating squared? Ouch.
If there's a chance you're gonna do hacking actions then by GOD you'll be paying out the nose like a hacker to do it well.
Jaid
once upon a time basically everything about a deck was rating squared, as i recall. never quite got to play third (much), but i do remember seeing that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012