Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Invisibility on a Vehicle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
adamu
MIGHT be about to drive my Bulldog in a chase while the van is under an Improved Invisibility spell.
(It's in a PbP game over on Shadowgrid, but I like the mechanics discussions here better.)

Considering some of the ramifications.

Obviously since the spell "mimics the subject's surroundings from all angles", I am not worried about whether those of us inside us will be visible - we'll all be able to see ourselves and each other, but any outsiders (affected by the spell) will not be able to see us.

Cool so far.

But what about that "all angles" bit?
I am thinking that means the vehicle is also invisible to those on the interior???
Does that sound right?

So we can see each other, but we all feel like we're floating along through the air?

I welcome any thoughts on that question.

I also would welcome any other thoughts on the ramifications, as it sounds like it would make a heck of a fun IC post descibing the experience.
So yeah, traffic can't see me, I can't see my side mirrors (at least), etc etc.
Any cool twists anyone thinks of...

Thanks!
SpellBinder
That could be up for interpretation by the GM. By the literal word of the spell it would mean that your van is invisible to you as well. I'd rather go for the "Rule Of Cool" and say you can see your van from the inside just fine.

And don't forget that your average wageslave conveyance won't be fooled by an invisibility spell. All vehicles come with radar and motion sensors (Arsenal, page 105) which are not fooled by such magical trickery. On top of that, and I pissed off a player this way once, I'd also rule that said invisibility is ineffective against wireless tracking. Particularly in SR5, if there are any icons from your wireless devices within the vehicle they will be 100% completely visible.
adamu
Actually, the improved invis description states it works on electronic sensors.

But your point is well taken on the matrix tracking - so all of us in the van (and van itself) have already gone totally wifi dark.

Thanks for input!
Critias
Been up all night writing, so I'm a little brain-fried; I cannot, for the life of me, remember where the rule was, but I distinctly recall wanting an Invisibility spell cast on a GMC Bulldog (for the fiction in the Intro Boxed Set, in fact), and being told that it wasn't possible. I don't remember if it was a "living target" sort of thing, some sort of weird intersection of casting spells on/at vehicles, a barrier rating thing, or what the hell the problem was. I don't even remember if I really agreed with the issue as it was presented to me...I just remember it being a thing.

So maybe check with your GM before this comes up at all, to make sure your escape plan doesn't count on the invisibility, only to get it nipped in the bud (and you all die). I'm sorry I don't remember the exact exchange, but your GM might have the same issue with it, and I'd hate for you to get caught with your pants down.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (adamu @ Jun 23 2015, 03:46 AM) *
Actually, the improved invis description states it works on electronic sensors.

But your point is well taken on the matrix tracking - so all of us in the van (and van itself) have already gone totally wifi dark.

Thanks for input!

It does indeed work on Sensors, but only for Visible Light Spectrum. Radar/Ultra-wide Band Radar do not fall under that category. smile.gif
Everything has a counter; Radar/UWB Radar is the counter to Improved Invisibility. As would be pressure sensors.
adamu
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 23 2015, 12:33 PM) *
Been up all night writing, so I'm a little brain-fried; I cannot, for the life of me, remember where the rule was, but I distinctly recall wanting an Invisibility spell cast on a GMC Bulldog (for the fiction in the Intro Boxed Set, in fact), and being told that it wasn't possible. I don't remember if it was a "living target" sort of thing, some sort of weird intersection of casting spells on/at vehicles, a barrier rating thing, or what the hell the problem was. I don't even remember if I really agreed with the issue as it was presented to me...I just remember it being a thing.

So maybe check with your GM before this comes up at all, to make sure your escape plan doesn't count on the invisibility, only to get it nipped in the bud (and you all die). I'm sorry I don't remember the exact exchange, but your GM might have the same issue with it, and I'd hate for you to get caught with your pants down.

Hmmmm - yeah, maybe something about casting on a non-living object that has living objects inside it?
(Because nobody wanted to make a ruling on the sorts of crazy questions that come up…?)

Okay - thanks for the heads up!

Sadly, this is happening in the middle of a hellacious ambush, and we've already declared/rolled dice - just waiting for GM ruling…
But happily, the plan doesn't entirely depend on the invisibility working!
adamu
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 23 2015, 02:15 PM) *
It does indeed work on Sensors, but only for Visible Light Spectrum. Radar/Ultra-wide Band Radar do not fall under that category. smile.gif
Everything has a counter; Radar/UWB Radar is the counter to Improved Invisibility. As would be pressure sensors.

Ah yes, you are of course right.

That's what I get for PWW (posting while working)!
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 23 2015, 09:15 AM) *

Don't forget the ultimate counter to invisible sneak bastards: Closed Doors. Vehicular or otherwise.

smile.gif

-k
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jun 23 2015, 01:05 PM) *
Don't forget the ultimate counter to invisible sneak bastards: Closed Doors. Vehicular or otherwise.

smile.gif

-k

Yep - Closed doors are the best. Locked ones make them even better. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012