Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DrekyDeck, courtsy of your friendly local Deckbeard
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Deckbeard
Was tooling around with some of the content from Data Trails and came up with a couple of fun little things.

This is literally the most basic deck that is metahumanly possible. It can run one program and only one program with little to no actual functionality. Based on that piece of drek Meta Link you got on the StufferShack and less then 1000¥ worth of components, you are now technically a decker, though you'd probably have a better time killing spiders by telling them about your deck then trying to black hammer em (which you cant actually do so...). Still, its 20,250¥ cheaper then the next lowest priced deck and you wont feel the slightest bit bad about setting it on fire, which you probably will want to do.

Meta Link Commlink 100¥ (DP 1, FW 1, DR 1)
Hot Sim Module +250¥
Two Component packs +500¥
Adding a Sleaze Attribute: 1 Component pack
Adding an Attack Attribute: 1 Component pack
Total Cost: 850¥ and your dignity

Now technically, this is not RAW legal since you are only technically allowed to make a single modification to the 'link unless otherwise stated. If your GMs being super insistent then you can replace one of the mods with an equivalent dongle. This bumps the price up 6k bringing it up to 6600¥ but that's still 14,400¥ cheaper then the Radio Shack PCD-500.

Another thing I realized is that, RAW you can give yourself an unlimited amount of upgrades to your deck by using the hardening module since it specifically states it takes damage before the deck does and then just tossing it after two upgrades. I personally think this whole idea is broken and would personally just cap upgrades at 9 and do away with the damage thing.

What does everyone else think?
hermit
For a viable deck, I'd go with an MCT code blue, dongle in attack, and up all attributes with the Hardening exploit (I'd limit total upgrades to 10 to rein in abuse). The "deck" would still lack a true deck's flexibility in shifting attributes, but would suffice for a common runner to be able to b&e relatively undetected.

Another thing I realized is that, RAW you can give yourself an unlimited amount of upgrades to your deck by using the hardening module since it specifically states it takes damage before the deck does and then just tossing it after two upgrades. I personally think this whole idea is broken and would personally just cap upgrades at 9 and do away with the damage thing.

A pinnacle of game design. *shakes head*
Deckbeard
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 28 2015, 09:03 AM) *
For a viable deck, I'd go with an MCT code blue, dongle in attack, and up all attributes with the Hardening exploit (I'd limit total upgrades to 10 to rein in abuse). The "deck" would still lack a true deck's flexibility in shifting attributes, but would suffice for a common runner to be able to b&e relatively undetected.

I'd still probably go with the Nixdorf Sekretär, break the ICe AND get yourself a date.
Deckbeard
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 28 2015, 09:03 AM) *

They missed a pretty olbvious mod to include in there, the ability to run cyber programs.
A quick house rule I might expand later: You need a number of program carrier dongles equal to the number of cyber programs you want to run and parts equal to 3 times that number. Or; you steal the chips from an actual deck and that removes the need to buy the dongles. This gives you the ability to run both normal and cyber programs as long as the device can run your persona.

Or, for the super cyberpunk a out there, you actually just need 1 pack of parts for each program you want to be able to run and a number of the program carrier Dongles equal to 1 plus the number of cyber programs you want to run. One of these has to be preloaded with the nuke from orbit cyber program. Essentially what you are doing is a totally memory wipe of the chips using the nuke from orbit chip each time you want to change the programs that are being run. The nuke from orbit used to erase the program's does not count against your program limit but it cannot be used in any other way.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
So... What is this "Hardening Exploit" that is being talked about and what limit of Upgrades are you seeing that I obviously am not.

I am not seeing what others are seeing, apparently.

Edit: Ahhh... I think I may see it... Check me to see if I am wrong here...
1. Install a Hardening Module.
2. Perform an "Increase Matrix Attribute" Modification to the Deck.
3. Module takes damage, throw Hardening Module away.
4. Install New Hardening Module.
5. Rinse and Repeat.

Problem is that it does not work, You have already performed your ONE Modification to the Deck (Unless otherwise noted) - Relevant Text below...

QUOTE (Data Trails, Device Modifications, Page 66)
Unless otherwise noted, a device can only have one modification.

Would be nice to have a Hardwired Hardening Module and an Installed Hardening Module for an additional 10 Matrix Damage Boxes, and then just replace Modules as they burn out, but that is a different story. smile.gif
Deckbeard
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 28 2015, 11:50 AM) *
Problem is that it does not work, You have already performed your ONE Modification to the Deck (Unless otherwise noted)

No but what you can do is
1) buy MCT Blue Defender
2) perform the drekydeck mod (adding the sleaze dongle and attack attribute)
3) since it's now a Cyberdeck then slot the hardening module.
4) preform the increase matrix attribute modification (since the add matrix attribute specifically calls out that you can later preform that mod but does not specify that you have to do it to that attribute) for firewall
5) unlimited firewall with no damage to the dreckydeck
6) slave personal Cyberdeck to the drekydeck
7) slot hardening module to Cyberdeck
cool.gif preform increase matrix attribute to whatever you want (you can change it around later)
9) throw out hardening module
10) amazing Cyberdeck with no limits on 2 ratings

It's dumb and I'm not a big fan of how the modification system works. Mainly because I think my favorite sorta image is the decker still caring around BabiesFirstCyberterminal but cracking it open and realizin the only original part's the case. You can't have that slow progressive upgrading with this system.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Deckbeard @ Jun 28 2015, 11:09 AM) *
No but what you can do is
1) buy MCT Blue Defender
2) perform the drekydeck mod (adding the sleaze dongle and attack attribute)
3) since it's now a Cyberdeck then slot the hardening module.
4) preform the increase matrix attribute modification (since the add matrix attribute specifically calls out that you can later preform that mod but does not specify that you have to do it to that attribute) for firewall
5) unlimited firewall with no damage to the dreckydeck
6) slave personal Cyberdeck to the drekydeck
7) slot hardening module to Cyberdeck
cool.gif preform increase matrix attribute to whatever you want (you can change it around later)
9) throw out hardening module
10) amazing Cyberdeck with no limits on 2 ratings

It's dumb and I'm not a big fan of how the modification system works. Mainly because I think my favorite sorta image is the decker still caring around BabiesFirstCyberterminal but cracking it open and realizin the only original part's the case. You can't have that slow progressive upgrading with this system.

Still do not see the highlighted. Either you are missing something here, or I am missing something here. I am inclined to believe it is you, since what you are describing is completely against the Rules and the One Modification Limit.

You are REALLY Stretching point 4 above, as well (assuming you can add a second Modification, which you explicitly cannot do since you have already added on in Step 2 - when you added The Attack Attribute Modification)... There is no way in hell I would allow someone to Perform the Increase Matrix Attribute Modification for an Attribute (you indicate Firewall), and then apply it to a different attribute than the one intended (Firewall as you previously indicated). Additionally, Where the hell do you get Unlimited Firewall (pointy 5)? Points 6-10 are just obfuscation to try and make the process look somewhat legitimate and are all smoke and mirrors.

You have not yet explained how you are getting around the ONE MODIFICATION LIMIT imposed by the rules, which STOPS at point 2 (Adding the Attack Attribute Modification). Done. DO not pass Go, Do not collect 200 Nuyen. smile.gif

That is the point of the New System (I don't like it ether)... There is no slow, progressive upgrade in 5th Edition.
Deckbeard
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 29 2015, 08:26 AM) *
Where the hell do you get Unlimited Firewall (pointy 5)?

Since, as far as I can tell and please correct if I'm wrong, there is no cap to modified attribute limit. Thus 'unlimited', you could throw as much as you want into it.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 29 2015, 08:26 AM) *
You have not yet explained how you are getting around the ONE MODIFICATION LIMIT imposed by the rules, which STOPS at point 2 (Adding the Attack Attribute Modification). Done. DO not pass Go, Do not collect 200 Nuyen. smile.gif

I agree, if I was GM in an SR game where this came up I would also not allow it but RAW it is technically there. Basically what I'm doing is making one huge upgrade to one item (this case the commlink) then slaving another device with a huge modification to it ( in this case the Cyberdeck) this essentially allows you to increase two of the attributes (firewall and one other) because Device B is receiving the effects of the mod without actually having the mod present in itself thus leaving its one point of modification open for something else.
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein date='Jun 29 2015, 08:26 AM) *
That is the point of the New System (I don't like it ether)... There is no slow, progressive upgrade in 5th Edition.

The one thing they did I that I was a big fan of is the parts system. I think it bridges a nice gap between 'just throw nuyen at it' and 'well I know you want to upgrade your deck but the material you just took from the dead spider only includes an 8 prong chip, you need a 6 pronged one'

As almost a complete aside, how do batteries work in 2076. Are they still using lithium ion or do they have something else?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Deckbeard @ Jun 29 2015, 06:53 AM) *
Since, as far as I can tell and please correct if I'm wrong, there is no cap to modified attribute limit. Thus 'unlimited', you could throw as much as you want into it.

But you cannot... It only allows a single Modification upgrade, therefore, not unlimited. smile.gif

I agree, if I was GM in an SR game where this came up I would also not allow it but RAW it is technically there. Basically what I'm doing is making one huge upgrade to one item (this case the commlink) then slaving another device with a huge modification to it ( in this case the Cyberdeck) this essentially allows you to increase two of the attributes (firewall and one other) because Device B is receiving the effects of the mod without actually having the mod present in itself thus leaving its one point of modification open for something else.

What you are doing is definitely not RAW. You are indicating multiple upgrades Modifications where only a single one is allowed per device. Therefore, the outcome you provide is hugely flawed. smile.gif

The one thing they did I that I was a big fan of is the parts system. I think it bridges a nice gap between 'just throw nuyen at it' and 'well I know you want to upgrade your deck but the material you just took from the dead spider only includes an 8 prong chip, you need a 6 pronged one'

I do like the parts system, but it still only allows one to go so far.

As almost a complete aside, how do batteries work in 2076. Are they still using lithium ion or do they have something else?

Batteries in 2076 use a new hybrid wireless handwavium technology.
Deckbeard
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 29 2015, 08:38 AM) *
Batteries in 2076 use a new hybrid wireless handwavium technology.

Damn, I was thinking about revamping the upgrade system to based off of system power. I suppose I still could...hmmm.
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 29 2015, 04:38 PM) *
What you are doing is definitely not RAW. You are indicating multiple upgrades Modifications where only a single one is allowed per device. Therefore, the outcome you provide is hugely flawed. smile.gif

No, he's doing the old "upgrade your deck's firewall via slaving" exploit and therefore gets away with one upgrade on the slaved device wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 30 2015, 01:04 PM) *
No, he's doing the old "upgrade your deck's firewall via slaving" exploit and therefore gets away with one upgrade on the slaved device wink.gif

Which is in no way "Unlimited Upgrades" of the Firewall. It ups the Firewall by a single point. And that is it. smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 30 2015, 10:07 PM) *
Which is in no way "Unlimited Upgrades" of the Firewall. It ups the Firewall by a single point. And that is it. smile.gif

It upgrades your firewall to whatever the master device has as Firewall.

With the "Increase a Matrix Attribute" Device Modification you can upgrade a cheap commlink to a Firewall rivaling the blackest IC, at the cost of two permanent points of damage to the thing. But since you are only using it for slaving your actual deck, that does not even matter. Your deck now has an absurd Firewall with zero mods installed in the deck.

Yes, it's a rules hack that puts most MtG combos to shame, but technically, by taking RAW literally, with a braindead GM who doesn't stop you it would be legal wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 30 2015, 03:25 PM) *
It upgrades your firewall to whatever the master device has as Firewall.

With the "Increase a Matrix Attribute" Device Modification you can upgrade a cheap commlink to a Firewall rivaling the blackest IC, at the cost of two permanent points of damage to the thing. But since you are only using it for slaving your actual deck, that does not even matter. Your deck now has an absurd Firewall with zero mods installed in the deck.

Yes, it's a rules hack that puts most MtG combos to shame, but technically, by taking RAW literally, with a braindead GM who doesn't stop you it would be legal wink.gif

Sorry - Rating 8 is NOT the Blackest of IC. And that is as high as a Comlinbk will ever get (and you would be beyond ignorant to use a Comlink to run cover for a Deck anyways). The BEST DECK can get you to Rating 10. And STILL... that is NOT Unlimited Modification/Upgrades. What was proposed was unlimited upgrade of Firewall, (or even other stats) and that is not only ludicrous, but is not supported by the rules given. At least not by my reading. Maybe you would like to clarify it a bit. Show me where a Single Modification (because, you know, that is all that is allowed) leads to unlimited Deck Attribute, because I am just not getting it. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012