Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun MUDs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Slamm-O
I remember having some good times playing some SR muds years ago, and seeing as my group has been broken up for months now i think ill head back the MUDs for my sr fix, but i was wondering if some of y'all could help out and list your favorite one, maybe with a link, and talk about your experience with it, ie what makes it so great.

Maybe some of the younger people or others who dont know about MUDs could give them a try and find that they really like them. Also other people without a group might want to give them a try smile.gif

thanks in advance
gfen

Oh, CyberWorld ][, how I've missed you through the last..uhm...14 years.
Slamm-O
i guess there arent many fans on this board? maybe they are all busy playing instead of posting smile.gif
gknoy
I tried playing on AwakenedWorlds (or something like that) a year or so ago.

At first, it was kindof cool -- a MUD, with SR mechanics. Then, I started not to like it. (This review is based on my experiences ~1-2 years ago, and the system may have changed. But I doubt it.)

Combat was almost unsurviveable: combat used the same rules as SR3, IIRC, so that meant that creatures could kill you VERY easily. And vice versa, too.

The problem with this is, the combat took place at MUD-speed, which meant that by the time you had entered an area, and had even begun to reflexively type "look" (you can do that pretty fast when it's habit wink.gif), the hostile mob there had already shot you, and KILLED you before you could even react.

Combine that with the SR3 rules on essence loss, and attribute loss, etc, for deadly wounds - and it was an extremely brutal system. It's Fun Factor was severely diminished, because there was no way to avoid many of these areas.

Skill advancement was done via trainers. Trainers were scattered across the MUD, hidden. The Pistols trainer was located in a mall in the barrens, or something, that was Hard to get to, and when you DID get there, there was a easily 50% chance of running into an enemy that was always hostile, carried a Big Gun (SMG I think?), and pretty much patrolled the ONLY way to get to the trainier.

Once, I actually GOT to the trainer, only to be killed on my way out. That was very frustrating, too, as I lost a point of Body.

So, it was nearly impossible for my character (a pistol-slinger) to increase his skills.

The other gripe I had with the system was that itwas heavily role-play oriented. There were no places where it was "okay" to go fight mobs to gain karma. Shooting cops was DOABLE, but then they banned it (as it was pretty much the way that all the newbies would go about earning karma). Good from a roleplay perspective, sortof: We were SUPPOSED to be able to get runs from a variety of NPC johnsons. Sadly, there were only a couple of them, and only like 1-2 runs.

Supposedly, there were GMs who would occasionally run a live run, but - they were never on when I was. Which pretty much sucked, because earning karma had do be done by just randomly hunting gangers, or hostile orks in the ork underground.

The lethality of the MUD was very SR-ish, but there was no corresponding way to ADVANCE, aside from playing in the scripted / GM-run jobs. Which were unannounced, and never done at a time when I was on. (And I played for at least two months, almost daily.)

The MUD could have been really awesome. If combat were slowed down, and if you could more easily AVOID combat (instead of snipers shooting you from 4 spaces away, or walking into a building only to discover that oh my, it's full of angry people), if there were more pre-scripted generic runs for players to partake in, without a need to kill cops (admittedly the easiest way to do so) or random gangers, and if skills didn't need to be raised at trainers that only existed in certain locations (STUPID, IMO!), it might have been more fun for me.

Your mileage might vary. I know that it is probably very difficult to build a MUD that conforms to the SR game world, while ALSO having SR-ish mechanics (which I think I /want/ in an SR mud ... I think ... maybe ...). And these people seemed like they had a burning desire to be building such a thing -- mad props to them. What they had when I tried playing, though, was not something I wanted to continue playing. I hope it's changed, or improved, or that there are others out there that are "better" / more fun . . . *shrugs*.

The mechanics of transferring money among credsticks was well done, though.
And there were some fun items to get - like butterfly knives. =)
BitBasher
Combine that with the SR3 rules on essence loss, and attribute loss, etc, for deadly wounds
Er, there is no way to lose essence from just being wounded, unless I missed something.
Slamm-O
i think he means the chance magicians have of losing essence on a deadly wound (but isnt taht just when the doc dont know your awakened and/or trauma patch used?)

thanks for teh review gknoy, i had heard of awakened lands but never tried it. It sounds ALOT different than the one i played, which was something like SHadowrun: Detroit (also tried forever to get into seattle, no luck frown.gif ). On that MUD (MUX is the term they used i believe). there were no hostile npcs, all fighting was handled by live gms (they had about 3 on at any one time) or was PvP with a judge. It got boring sometimes, but really encouraged roleplay and made the runs/combat you did get into very exciting
Oddfellow
The Denver MUSH (for info go to aelfhame.net) is active and well managed. During the week there is lots of non run role play, with a decent amount of runs. On the weekends it is very easy to get involved in runs. In my experience the users of this MUSH have a pretty high SR IQ and the level of roleplay experience/maturity is pretty decent. If you are between tabletop games its a good place to get your SR fix.

For those interested in joining, don't half ass your character background, they really do reject people with weak ones.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012