Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: House Rules: Alternatives to Focus Addiction
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyrhaynes
Shadowrun House Rules
Sendaz
Having foci mark you more makes sense, though how this meshes with the advanced masking may have to be looked at.

I must admit I really like moving foci addiction more to a NQ, as with the addiction rules as they are it doesn't really play well.

Does your NQ come in stages/different levels?

Like for example

Stage 1: You don't need to use a focus, it's just that everything goes smoother with them.
You can quit using them anytime or at least you keep telling yourself that.
Not that you want to, you have it totally under control.....
Effect: -2 Dice to any magic attempts not involving a focus.

Stage 2: Okay, yeah after that last tussle when you had to bring down the whole building, you may have sprained your magic, but hey that's what a focus is for right?
To fill in until you are back at the top of your game. It just takes time......
Effect: -4 Dice and Limit & Effective Force (to determine Spell AP and Effects) is F/2 instead of F for any magic attempts not involving a focus. (similar to Arcane arrester reduces force)
Can spend 1 Edge to return Limit and Effective Force to Normal for one magical action.
(note this also means you can not spend further Edge on this action to further raise limit)

Stage 3: You can barely roll out of bed without tapping the focus for that pick me up.
Effect: Can not even attempt any magic unless a focus is involved.
Even Non-magical actions suffer a -2 Dice if a focus is not active on your person due to the mojo deprived jitters.
Can spend 1 Edge to be able to perform one Magical action, but effect is as for Stage 2.
(ie -4 dice and Limit & Effective Force is F/2 and the usual blah blah about not able to spend further Edge on this action to further raise limit)
Spending Edge on non-magical actions is as normal.

Would be interested to see how you wrote it us as a NQ
Beta
Very interesting approach! I think I like it, will definitely think about it and discuss about adopting it in my game.
Tyrhaynes
Thanks Betx!

Sendaz I hadn't gotten that far in thinking about the negative quality beyond using the Addiction negative quality as a template. You've got some good ideas as written!
Tyrhaynes
I've had two new little articles.

Astral Combat

Artifact Assensing
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tyrhaynes @ Jul 23 2015, 12:30 AM) *
Sendaz I hadn't gotten that far in thinking about the negative quality beyond using the Addiction negative quality as a template. You've got some good ideas as written!
Ah, I was just curious.

I admit my version is a bit extreme, for a more normal effect version there is the original NQ from SR4 for focus addiction.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012