Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5e Rigger Restrictions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
Hey folks

So I was re-reading the 5e rigger rules and I wanted to clarify something.
Is it possible/feasible to play a driver/rigger type without buying a full VCR/RCC setup?
I know 4e had a few disadvantages to NOT jumping in, but I don't remember the difference being so stark.
You used to be able to run a vehicle off wired 3 without going limp. I forget the math on it, but I believe it was like a 2 die difference for being in AR and hot sim.

As an example, I wrote up a go ganger a bit ago.
He wanted to stay conscious on his Contrail, not jumped in.
Would that kind of concept even work anymore or would he need to go full matrix rigger to be worth a damn?
DeathStrobe
The fluff in SR5 supports that you don't need to go limp to drive in VR. No rules for it, and since it's flavor and not mechanics, I'd personally just let the rigger have control of their meat while driving jumped in, but unable to shoot with their meat body.
yesferatu
There's the rub.
I WANT to be able to shoot in the meat.
I've never loved gunnery or splitting my firearms skills.
I guess I'm trying to run a hybrid.
Puppet riggers tend to dump all their points into vehicke/matrix actions with almost nothing of use in the physical world.
I'd like to be useful behind the wheel and in the flesh.
DeathStrobe
Well...maybe the Rigger book will have rules for it. It'll be out by the end of the year...hopefully.
hermit
I WANT to be able to shoot in the meat.

You know what they say about eating the cake and keeping it? wink.gif
PraetorGradivus
SR5 pg 39:

You can also go whole-hog and
dive into virtual reality (VR), leaving your meat body behind
for a trip into the realm of pure information. While
the speed of VR is convenient for hackers, most people
like the ability to use the Matrix while carrying on with
their lives at the same time...

You want to drive and be in the meat world at the same time, either manual or AR....
Lobo0705
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Jul 25 2015, 11:45 PM) *
Hey folks

So I was re-reading the 5e rigger rules and I wanted to clarify something.
Is it possible/feasible to play a driver/rigger type without buying a full VCR/RCC setup?
I know 4e had a few disadvantages to NOT jumping in, but I don't remember the difference being so stark.
You used to be able to run a vehicle off wired 3 without going limp. I forget the math on it, but I believe it was like a 2 die difference for being in AR and hot sim.

As an example, I wrote up a go ganger a bit ago.
He wanted to stay conscious on his Contrail, not jumped in.
Would that kind of concept even work anymore or would he need to go full matrix rigger to be worth a damn?

What do you mean by "feasible"?

You don't need a VCR to be a driver (and a pretty good one, if you have a high skill and Reaction) - but you are going to get your ass kicked in a race or vehicular combat by anyone who does have one.

Using a VCR to gain the rigger bonus requires you to be in VR - but you can use a commlink to use the Control Device Action in AR, and thus remain conscious, to control Drones, or your vehicle, or, if you are on your bike, just control it Manually.

Kincaid
If you're looking to drive and shoot, adept riggers are always an option. You don't get the reduction in Threshold that a VCR gives you, but you're just as fast inside your car as out and you get dice. Using AR (trodes) adds +1 to your Limits, so you shouldn't be wasting hits all that often.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012