Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renraku Arcology today
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Forgotten_Lore
In preparing for my upcoming campaign start I have been reading thru the SR4 book as well as notes from old games and I got to thinking. What has happened to the Arc after the Shutdown and Deus getting loose? I don't remember seeing anything about it in my reading.
Beta
QUOTE (Forgotten_Lore @ Aug 5 2015, 01:59 AM) *
In preparing for my upcoming campaign start I have been reading thru the SR4 book as well as notes from old games and I got to thinking. What has happened to the Arc after the Shutdown and Deus getting loose? I don't remember seeing anything about it in my reading.

It is apparently now being used as social housing, with something like 90 000 people living in it.

Given the 2076 Olympics being in Seattle, and the need to possibly displace some "squatters" for a badly needed velodome, some of them may be very unhappy people yanked out of slums or barrens and dumped in there.

Non-canon, but interesting, would be if some floors of it were used as the athletes village.
Medicineman
go check/search for "ACHE" wink.gif

(that's what the Renraku Arc is since the 2060's )

Hough!
Medicineman
Sendaz
Rumours still abound that the Azzies are interested in buying the topside components of the building complex (the underground with it's functioning reactors is not for sale and remains solely in government control).

That's right, if the sale goes through the place will truly become an AZ-ACHE. nyahnyah.gif
Beta
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 5 2015, 12:19 PM) *
That's right, if the sale goes through the place will truly become an AZ-ACHE. nyahnyah.gif

*groan!*

------------------------------------------------------------

In my game, it is also a source of some of the early CFD in Seattle. They just didn't do that good of a job cleaning the place out before bringing people in when it was turned into social housing. There were nanites left in ventilation systems, in the green-houses, etc. Not that it is a mass outbreak, and a lot of the people put in there were not the sort where many people would care about a personality change. More worrying, possibly, is that some of the Knight Errant detachment providing security (as part of the Seattle police) may have been turned--the place was a dumping ground for misfits, low performers, and burn-outs anyway, and a lot of headaches and mental struggles get chalked up to the stress of being in the arcology all of the time.

But that is completely non-canon, just something that fitted my view of things.
hermit

It became social housing in parts, in parts it is still derelict (Seattle 2072). Before, it was the site of a number of seasons of the reality horror show Survivor: Renraku Arcology, which is pretty self-explanatory (SOTA 2063). On it's roof, there is an independent Beta clinic for the brave or desperate (ChromeFlesh), that once was a Renraku Delta clinic.

In my game, it is also a source of some of the early CFD in Seattle.

That actually makes a lot of sense. And since you can shut the arcology down, containment can be attempted, and maybe everyone inside can be killed with Green Ring or something.
Sn00py
It's not canon, but I have a 5,000 word kind of background setting document that I cut/pasted and wrote for my (5th Ed) campaign a year or so ago. The Ark is full of gangs competing for territory and control over the social housing tenants, most of the floors above 200 are sealed off and still home to Deus drones and other nasties, and the UCAS army control the roof and the reactors in the basement. Knight Errant guard the (low rent, shitty) public mall on the ground floor and try to stop the whole thing boiling over. I also have (separately) the bones of a run to go with it - written for specific characters and without a lot of stats etc, but adaptable. Send me a message if you want it.
hermit
Well, it *does* lend itself well to a Judge Dredd Megablock type setting.
Uli
And all the characters have some degree of agoraphobia, so they never leave the place. smile.gif
nezumi
I can totally see an adventure in the style of Five Nights at Freddy's.
Wakshaani
If I ever get off my tush and toss some longer fiction ideas upstairs, one features the ACHE as a setting/character. I have ... ideas...
Forgotten_Lore
Alright, thanks all for the canon and non-canon ideas. Looks like I will go ahead with my Dredd idea and add in the social housing and Olympic angle.
Sengir
QUOTE (Betx @ Aug 5 2015, 03:10 AM) *
Given the 2076 Olympics being in Seattle, and the need to possibly displace some "squatters" for a badly needed velodome, some of them may be very unhappy people yanked out of slums or barrens and dumped in there.

Non-canon, but interesting, would be if some floors of it were used as the athletes village.

Under Deus' reign some floors were converted into "mazes" to physically test subjects, or just hunt them for the fun of the Whites. Hose off the worst stains and you've got a brand new athletics arena biggrin.gif
hermit
Under Deus' reign some floors were converted into "mazes" to physically test subjects, or just hunt them for the fun of the Whites. Hose off the worst stains and you've got a brand new athletics arena

That's basically what Survivor: Renraku Arcology did in 2063. wink.gif

I really hope the Olympics Missions package will see the light soon-ish.
Sendaz
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 8 2015, 06:04 AM) *

Didn't they later prove that show was staged and scripted all the way, in fact they shot most of the footage in the Proteus North Sea Arkoblok? grinbig.gif
hermit
No, they actually shot it in Lusiada's Sentinel arcology. Proteus would have shot at them if they had even tried to get into their Arcoblocks. They're paranoid, genetically engineered transhuman Nazis, after all.
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 8 2015, 01:04 PM) *

Hmm, or was it I'm a Celebrity, Get Me an Extration Team? All those reality shows are confusing biggrin.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sengir @ Aug 8 2015, 05:28 PM) *
Hmm, or was it I'm a Celebrity, Get Me an Extration Team?

I'd watch that. biggrin.gif
KnightAries
The old Arc....
Shadowrunner bolt hole anyone. biggrin.gif
Neraph
Or as my AI PC calls it - "home."
KnightAries
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2015, 01:55 PM) *
Or as my AI PC calls it - "home."

*cough.. cough* CFD *cough... cough...*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012