Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Props to Zimmerman
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Warchild
Just finished reading Shaken (No Job too Small). One word describes it, Awesome. Been playing Shadowrun since 1st edition and read pretty much everything there is to read in the genre and I gotta say this is a really great book. Russell's knowledge of the rules and gameworld are captured in a book that reads like every shadowrun should play. Needless to say I really enjoyed it and actuallly signed up for this forum (giving up my lurking ways) for the sole purpose of writing this and encouraging everyone to buy this book and read it. Seriously probably the best Shadowrun fiction you will ever read IMHO and at the very least its very well written with interesting characters, plots and some fun sub-plots as well. Oh and if Mr. Zimmerman reads this --->> More Jimmy Kincaid books please.

Stahlseele
According to the who is who thread, Russel Zimmerman is Critias here, so chances are good.
hermit
QUOTE (Warchild @ Aug 14 2015, 12:46 PM) *
Just finished reading Shaken (No Job too Small). One word describes it, Awesome. Been playing Shadowrun since 1st edition and read pretty much everything there is to read in the genre and I gotta say this is a really great book. Russell's knowledge of the rules and gameworld are captured in a book that reads like every shadowrun should play. Needless to say I really enjoyed it and actuallly signed up for this forum (giving up my lurking ways) for the sole purpose of writing this and encouraging everyone to buy this book and read it. Seriously probably the best Shadowrun fiction you will ever read IMHO and at the very least its very well written with interesting characters, plots and some fun sub-plots as well. Oh and if Mr. Zimmerman reads this --->> More Jimmy Kincaid books please.

You should repost this in the dedicated thread (it's stickied on top). Critas usually kinda follows Dumpshock, but those threads he's sure going to check.
Stahlseele
i should probably have read that thread first.
he says it's him who wrote it in there himself.
Wakshaani
Rusty's the man and an absolute ace. If I can be half the writer he is, I'll be a happy, happy guy.
Critias
QUOTE (Warchild @ Aug 14 2015, 04:46 AM) *

Hiya Warchild! Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for coming by in a good-natured effort to track me down, in order to say them. smile.gif I am, in fact, active on these forums (and a few others), and I've also got Facebook and Twitter (russellzee) if you'd like to keep up with my shenanigans and occasional rants and stuff.

I'm glad you enjoyed Shaken (No Job Too Small)! It was a lot of fun to write, so far the response has been just stellar, and I'm still over the moon about the whole thing (there's a pic of me finally able to pick up my own physical copy, during GenCon, and I look like a total dork 'cause I've got this "holy crap, it's real!" look on my face). Please feel free to post a review if you can, depending on where you bought it, but this was a totally awesome surprise of a thread to stumble across, too, so it's appreciated, man.

And not to worry, there's more coming!
Warchild
Hermit: I did try to stick my appraisal in the sticky but had not yet noticed the requirement to email for my account and wrongly assumed I could not post there because it was in fact a sticky. Perhaps this post could be moved into it?

Critias: Planned to post a review on Amazon, went there first but only Neat was listed. I recalled reading your announcement here so looked forward to passing my congratulations on to you directly. In anycase well done. Great book please keep writing! Jimmy is a great character as he brings in so many elements of the game, cyberware, magic, weapons, spirits, foci, ghouls and the virus's that made them, metahumans, shadowrunners, cops, the backdrop of Seattle, and the list goes on. It really shows your mastery of the system for those of us who read for more than just great fiction. Do you actually run Jimmy in a game? My assumption is yes.
Critias
QUOTE (Warchild @ Aug 14 2015, 10:51 AM) *
Critias: Planned to post a review on Amazon, went there first but only Neat was listed.

Shaken's up there now -- clicky-clicky -- and reviews are always welcome, man! The more the merrier, and every one is fresh ammo when it's time for me to argue to get more books. wink.gif

I recalled reading your announcement here so looked forward to passing my congratulations on to you directly. In anycase well done. Great book please keep writing! Jimmy is a great character as he brings in so many elements of the game, cyberware, magic, weapons, spirits, foci, ghouls and the virus's that made them, metahumans, shadowrunners, cops, the backdrop of Seattle, and the list goes on. It really shows your mastery of the system for those of us who read for more than just great fiction.

Again, thank you. I like that Jimmy's got lots of stuff I can use to wedge in canonical stuff, I love researching in my old Seattle sourcebooks for locations and ideas (almost everyplace he goes is an in-game spot, mentioned in a book somewhere), I enjoy cooking up new contacts for him and character hooks for how and why he knows someone...it's all just a really good time. I've been thrilled with the fan response, I'm super glad that folks like reading Kincaid's stuff as much as I enjoy writing it, and I look forward to more coming down the pipelines in the next couple years.

Do you actually run Jimmy in a game? My assumption is yes.

I actually haven't! I have him all statted up in my head (and I keep those stats in mind when I write), but I've never sat down and slung dice as Jimmy or anything, no. Bull was gonna run a GenCon game for a bunch of us this year, and he was encouraging Rat and I to bring our fiction characters -- so we would've had Winterhawk and Kincaid on a job, somewhere -- but scheduling stuff just kind of fell through on us, and I wasn't sure about playing as Jimmy, anyhow (just for my own fluffy reasons, it was gonna be a game in Chicago, yadda yadda yadda).

So...yeah, stats exist! His gear is all game-equivalent stuff (sometimes with different name brands), I know what he can do in-game, etc, etc. But no, I've never played him.
Warchild
Review Posted on Amazon, guess I did should delete my browse history more often. Glad to see I am not the only one who loved it and reviewed it.

So many questions I could ask of you with regards to in game stuff you used to come up with such a great flowing story so accurate to the setting and rules but I do not want to reveal any spoilers and I am sure there are some trade secrets involved so I will just be happy to read you next book...sooner than a couple years I hope but whatever it is I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post and best of luck with your future efforts
hermit
Shaken's up there now -- clicky-clicky -- and reviews are always welcome, man! The more the merrier, and every one is fresh ammo when it's time for me to argue to get more books. wink.gif

Damn, only the Kindle version. Will there be a dead tree version too?
Critias
And thanks again, Warchild! If you have specific questions you'd rather ask me than "spoil" publicly, feel free to shoot me a PM on here, cool? I'm glad to answer any questions folks might have, like always.

QUOTE (hermit @ Aug 14 2015, 01:13 PM) *
Damn, only the Kindle version. Will there be a dead tree version too?

There is one already, it's just not on Amazon. Instead of finding and reposting all the links myself, I'll cheat and use this Reddit post to list all the purchasing options for me (I only have to make one link, muwahaha, efficiency/laziness ftw!): more clicky-clicky.

Barnes and Noble's sell sheet (and lack of artwork, and way premature release date like six months ago) all kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but there's a link included there for the dead-tree version. Battleshop's also got the hardcopy available, but also has a pdf/dead-tree bundle that folks might like. DTRPG and Amazon are e-book only.
hermit
Ah, thanks. When I last checked they hadn't cleared the book for international shipping on B&N for some reason. Boy do they charge an arm and a leg for it though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012