Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distinctive Style
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Moomin
Why does Distinctive Style have a variable cost (5 to 35BP) when the mechanical penalty is constant?
bannockburn
I don't understand that either.
However, it's not constant.
It stacks, but only up to two applications (for a total of +6 to rolls for legwork / locating the character).

Personally, I just never allowed more than two levels of the quality.
Medicineman
maybe it's one Distinctive Style per "item"/ Aspect ?
two Pair of Arms 1 Level
Antennae on Your Forehead , add another level
Green Skales, add another Level
but it doesn't really matter if a Char with Antennae and 4 Arms has green Skales or not . You cant get more than +6 Dice
there is a "cap" to freakyness...

with a Dance on the Cap
Medicineman
bannockburn
Yes. And since there is a cap, it's nonsensical to award points for a quality without drawbacks.
You can have all the weirdness you like, but you won't earn karma/bp for it past the initial two levels.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Sep 1 2015, 12:38 PM) *
Yes. And since there is a cap, it's nonsensical to award points for a quality without drawbacks.
You can have all the weirdness you like, but you won't earn karma/bp for it past the initial two levels.

Well, I can see a character having a Physical Distinctive Style, an Astral Distinctive Style and a Matrix Distinctive Style, so I could see 6 levels being usable, assuming an awakened character. Not something I would do, but that is just me. smile.gif
bannockburn
I'm not saying you can't have them.
Run around with four arms, weird aura, bug eyes and so on, by all means.
I'm saying it's nonsensical to award points for levels of the quality beyond the first two, because only the first two levels come with the drawback.

And seriously, the other way around becomes even weirder, if you stack +3 per level of the max seven levels of the quality.
You might just as well take world-wide fame with it as well, for +21 dice to find you.

"Oh yes, that dude. He lives at Wallaby Road 15, Canberra, Australia. Kind of a freak, if you ask me," said the contact in a small town in rural Kentucky.
Neraph
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Sep 2 2015, 02:10 AM) *
I'm not saying you can't have them.
Run around with four arms, weird aura, bug eyes and so on, by all means.
I'm saying it's nonsensical to award points for levels of the quality beyond the first two, because only the first two levels come with the drawback.

And seriously, the other way around becomes even weirder, if you stack +3 per level of the max seven levels of the quality.
You might just as well take world-wide fame with it as well, for +21 dice to find you.

"Oh yes, that dude. He lives at Wallaby Road 15, Canberra, Australia. Kind of a freak, if you ask me," said the contact in a small town in rural Kentucky.

.... Kim Kardashian?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012