Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix actions and storytelling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GodForsaken
Hello everyone smile.gif I have a question.

A few days ago I ran a one shot with two of my friends. One of them played a mage and the other one played a decker. I wanted to ask how do you guys describe to your Deckers, what is going on in the matrix in relation to their actions?

I mean, he had to search a file to see if its not trapped, then mark it X times, and then interact with it. My problem was that he had so many actions to do to just to interact with this single file, that I ran out of things to say, and it just became quite boring. If for example he decides to roll 3 times for marking rather than take the 10 dice penalty. How could I make the outcome of each roll more interesting rather than tell him: "okay.. You place a mark on the file.."?

GodForsaken
BlackJaw
QUOTE (GodForsaken @ Sep 26 2015, 12:45 PM) *
Hello everyone smile.gif I have a question.

A few days ago I ran a one shot with two of my friends. One of them played a mage and the other one played a decker. I wanted to ask how do you guys describe to your Deckers, what is going on in the matrix in relation to their actions?

I mean, he had to search a file to see if its not trapped, then mark it X times, and then interact with it. My problem was that he had so many actions to do to just to interact with this single file, that I ran out of things to say, and it just became quite boring. If for example he decides to roll 3 times for marking rather than take the 10 dice penalty. How could I make the outcome of each roll more interesting rather than tell him: "okay.. You place a mark on the file.."?

Was this on grid or in the matrix, because that determines the sculpting, and the sculpting determines how to describe things. What did the file icon look like? What does the Decker's persona look like, and what does his Mark look like?

You can also up the tension by having the matrix ripple or distort as he takes actions that build up grid overwatch. Unless he has the right app running, he doesn't actually know what his overwatch score is, so you can sort of hint at it through the distortion and the threat of the matrix noticing him and zeroing in with a nasty response. You can get a similar effect in a Host by describing the actions of the local ICE systems.
GodForsaken
It was on a closed system in a Renraku lab. So, everything had an asian theme to it. It wasn't connected to the grid, no wireless, so he had to jack in old school style.

I really like the distortion idea. Make him freak out, maybe he will take reckless actions. It's really good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012