Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter Reach
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Maelwys
So I've been playing around with Shifter Adepts and have a question. I'm not sure if this is an issue with Chummer, or if I'm missing some sort of Errata with regards to Runner's Companion, since that just seems to have threads dedicated to errata, rather than actual errata.

The concept is a Tiger shifter, and I noticed that Chummer gives the character's unarmed attack a 1 for reach. Which is...questionable. The Shifter attribute Table in Runner's Companion gives Tiger Shapeshifters +1 Reach, but that entry has an asterisk after it, which indicates the bonus only applies to the shifter in animal form.

The unarmed attack isn't for the character in animal form, as that would have a higher damage code.

So the question becomes, is Chummer wrong (or simply unable to distinguish between the two states of the character, and so it just gives +1 reach to show that its there...sometimes...), or am I missing some errata that removed the reach restriction for the Tiger shifter (which isn't too odd, since werebears get the bonus in either form).
SpellBinder
Tested, and Chummer is wrong. Essentially take it as it is unable to distinguish between the two states of the character (and why shifters aren't an option for the subsequent Chummer5 for SR5's rules). There is, however, a few options to fix this.

Without changing the XML code itself, you can recreate the "Unarmed Attack" weapon by clicking on the little down arrow next to the "Add Weapon" in the button. But when you do this you must make sure to set the Reach modifier to -1. The drawback, however, is that every other single melee weapon will still be so modified with the extended reach.

The better alternative is to go into the metatypes.xml using any kind of basic text editor (Windows comes with Notepad.EXE, which is what I use myself). Search for "Tiger" to find the code for the tiger shapeshifter, and then down for the line that looks something like <reach>1</reach> and delete the entire line; the right one will be immediately below a line that says </enabletab>. If you use other shifters you will want to do the same to them as well; be careful as there is a similar line for all of the troll metavariants (including subvariants within the shifters).

Depending on how deep you are into creating your tiger shifter you'll need to either start all over again, or go to Special > Change Metatype and choose your tiger shapeshifter once more to effect the change.
Maelwys
Ah, thanks. I figured it was an issue with Chummer, but thought I'd make sure. And thanks for the fixes, I'll keep them in mind if it becomes an issue.
Maelwys
Okay, so this sort of applies to the same character...

Running Wild states that critters can use their unarmed combat damage for astral combat damage.

Does this apply to shifter characters as well? Is this mentioned anyplace else (I believe the core book states that damage is based only on charisma).

Does adept abilities apply towards the charisma based damage (if they have to use Charisma).

And finally, does mystic armor count towards encumbrance for the purposes of armor? If I'm wearing an armored jacket with 8/6 armor, and I have 3 points of mystic armor, my final armor rating is 11/9. Which value is used for determining if I'm encumbered?

It seems sort of silly that mystic armor would encumber you, but the rule states its based off your armor rating, not your worn armor rating.
KnightAries
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 28 2015, 08:31 PM) *
Tested, and Chummer is wrong. Essentially take it as it is unable to distinguish between the two states of the character (and why shifters aren't an option for the subsequent Chummer5 for SR5's rules). There is, however, a few options to fix this.

Without changing the XML code itself, you can recreate the "Unarmed Attack" weapon by clicking on the little down arrow next to the "Add Weapon" in the button. But when you do this you must make sure to set the Reach modifier to -1. The drawback, however, is that every other single melee weapon will still be so modified with the extended reach.

The better alternative is to go into the metatypes.xml using any kind of basic text editor (Windows comes with Notepad.EXE, which is what I use myself). Search for "Tiger" to find the code for the tiger shapeshifter, and then down for the line that looks something like <reach>1</reach> and delete the entire line; the right one will be immediately below a line that says </enabletab>. If you use other shifters you will want to do the same to them as well; be careful as there is a similar line for all of the troll metavariants (including subvariants within the shifters).

Depending on how deep you are into creating your tiger shifter you'll need to either start all over again, or go to Special > Change Metatype and choose your tiger shapeshifter once more to effect the change.

And after the character is created in Chummer you can then setup improvements to cover this issue. Like adding that +1 back for reach when you're changed.
Mantis
QUOTE (Maelwys @ Oct 18 2015, 03:53 AM) *
Okay, so this sort of applies to the same character...

Running Wild states that critters can use their unarmed combat damage for astral combat damage.

Does this apply to shifter characters as well? Is this mentioned anyplace else (I believe the core book states that damage is based only on charisma).

I'd say yes it does just to avoid having differences between NPCs and PC shifters, rules wise.
Does adept abilities apply towards the charisma based damage (if they have to use Charisma).

Yes they do. You'd treat them just as any other adept would.
And finally, does mystic armor count towards encumbrance for the purposes of armor? If I'm wearing an armored jacket with 8/6 armor, and I have 3 points of mystic armor, my final armor rating is 11/9. Which value is used for determining if I'm encumbered?

It seems sort of silly that mystic armor would encumber you, but the rule states its based off your armor rating, not your worn armor rating.

Mystic armour shouldn't count towards encumbrance, just like cyberlimb armour doesn't.

I think most of this was actually covered in the 4th ed FAQ but damned if I can find that document anymore.

Sengir
QUOTE (Maelwys @ Oct 18 2015, 12:53 PM) *

IMO that should be seen as an abstraction to keep the statblocks of enemies easier, like group Edge.

At least the FAQ says magic armor should not count: http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-reso...th-edition-faq/
Maelwys
Ah, thanks for that link. I'm guessing alot of my questions might be in there.

Hmm, I guess we'll have to ponder the results for the damage. I've been using the rules for the enhanced senses, so I might be able to swing it.
Mantis
QUOTE (Sengir @ Oct 18 2015, 11:13 AM) *
At least the FAQ says magic armor should not count: http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-reso...th-edition-faq/

Thanks for finding that link. Checked quickly but I obviously missed it on the first pass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012