Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Insect Spirit questions that are bugging me
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Beta
I’ve set up a multi-branched (tentacled?) run of awfulness (everyone, from the Johnson to his target to the company they work for are vile in their own ways). Naturally the runners managed to immediately go down the branch that leads to bug spirits, and when I pulled up the Street Grimoire in order to prep the bugs I ended up with some pretty key questions. I’m hoping well informed minds here can help clear my fog.

- What would you consider a ‘normal’ force for insect spirits? i.e. if they were to show up in your game, what range of forces would you expect at first brush? (I don’t have any reference material that uses bugs as adversaries, so I have no guideline on what sort of forces would be typical out in the world)
- How would you consider the threat level of an insect spirit compared to the same strength elemental or nature spirit? (i.e. is a force 6 but a similar threat to a force 6 earth spirit?)
- They are listed as having a severe allergy to insecticide. Is this the spell, or the spray you can buy at the hardware store? If it is the spell, how do you treat the allergy penalties (which are based on prolonged exposure) when they are hit with the spell?
- Anything else I should be worried about with insect spirits that is not immediately obvious (i.e. anything easily missed, that makes them surprisingly stronger or weaker than they first appear, etc.)

(In case it matters at all to the ‘general advice’ side of things:, they are being bullied/threatened by a human-form mantid assassin to help her bust up a beetle nest she knows of. She wants to consume the beetles (preferably at leisure for at least some of them), but doesn’t feel able to take them on in their burrow on her own. Knobs I have for adjusting the difficulty level are actual spirit force levels, how useful the mantid is, how many beetles there are, how many of those are soldiers vs workers, and whether or not there is a queen or a nymph (the nest was created recently, for the nymph to become a queen and have her own territory—I can decide whether that is about to happen or has just happened), and how much good mundane gear the beetles have. Of course the runners are angling to take down the mantid after they take out the beetles, the mantid suspects as much, and the runners suspect the mantid is planning on taking them out once the beetles are softened up. Oh, and there is the scum-bucket corporate exec who let the beetle nest take root who they need to deal with somewhere in here, without either tipping off the nest or him catching wind of anything being wrong.)
Sendaz
QUOTE (Betx @ Oct 13 2015, 04:59 PM) *
- What would you consider a ‘normal’ force for insect spirits? i.e. if they were to show up in your game, what range of forces would you expect at first brush? (I don’t have any reference material that uses bugs as adversaries, so I have no guideline on what sort of forces would be typical out in the world)
In the adventure Sacrificial Limb the Flesh Forms generally ran around a Force 5. So forces 4-5 might not be bad to start off with and you can always throw in a few higher 'boss' bugs if they are getting steamrolled.
- How would you consider the threat level of an insect spirit compared to the same strength elemental or nature spirit? (i.e. is a force 6 but a similar threat to a force 6 earth spirit?)
Fairly on par with an elemental of similar force, though with bugs if you see one there are probably more. Expect Strength in numbers unless its a solo type.
- They are listed as having a severe allergy to insecticide. Is this the spell, or the spray you can buy at the hardware store? If it is the spell, how do you treat the allergy penalties (which are based on prolonged exposure) when they are hit with the spell?
They are referring to common Insecticides like bug spray. Despite not actually being exactly insects as we know them, they still show a weakness to this. But some strains are showing they are more resilient so a 'boss' bug may need a little extra.
- Anything else I should be worried about with insect spirits that is not immediately obvious (i.e. anything easily missed, that makes them surprisingly stronger or weaker than they first appear, etc.)
The main thing is while a lone mage can only have so many spirits on tap, queens can invest a lot of bug spirits so long as they got access to bodies. Which you are already sort of seeing since the Mantis is coming to you for help cracking the bug nest.
Also remember there are the three forms: True, Hybrid and Flesh forms. Hybrid and Flesh forms are locked to the physical realm, but the True are still primarily Astral beings who can materialize freely meaning you could be fighting Hybrids or Fleshies in a hallways and have a True glide through the floor or wall behind you to pop up and rip someone's head off.
Granted if you spot them you can do some nice damage while they materialize, but if you are busy with bugs on the front....
Flesh Form can pass for human and get Masking so be wary of any hostages/prisoners/possible allies you come across in there as they could be more than they appear.
Beta
Great stuff -- thanks!
BlackJaw
One of my stranger (4th) Shadowrun characters that I've actually run was an exterminator. Basically a hybrid of the exterminator from Arachnophobia and a Ghostbuster: a Street-Sam that specialized in fighting awakened critters and spirits. He did some runs where he helped steal some critters from labs, etc.

One run had him dealing with a Roach Shaman, and that where I got to make lots of use of insecticide. He had splash grenades, the squirt gun, and even the fire-hose add-on for his old used ambulance linked up to tanks of the stuff. It was fairly effective at dealing with the minor spirits en masse. The bigger ones required his Laser Rifle, as did the shaman.
Beta
QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Oct 14 2015, 06:54 PM) *
One of my stranger (4th) Shadowrun characters that I've actually run was an exterminator. Basically a hybrid of the exterminator from Arachnophobia and a Ghostbuster: a Street-Sam that specialized in fighting awakened critters and spirits. He did some runs where he helped steal some critters from labs, etc.

One run had him dealing with a Roach Shaman, and that where I got to make lots of use of insecticide. He had splash grenades, the squirt gun, and even the fire-hose add-on for his old used ambulance linked up to tanks of the stuff. It was fairly effective at dealing with the minor spirits en masse. The bigger ones required his Laser Rifle, as did the shaman.

My first SR character, back in 1st edition, was a racoon shaman. He retired after our group did our bit against the Universal Brotherhood, and at the time I quipped that he went and started an exterminator business. So I've brought him in as an NPC for this one, saying that he does have a legit exterminator business but that he has also quietly specialized in dealing with bug spirits. So he's offered to teach insecticide spells, and sell gear, and be run back-up (he's getting too old to be on the cutting edge of the assault, at least in his opinion). To an extent he's my insurance in case I miscalculate how tough the bugs are, and to a degree he's there to teach the party how to do this thing.

So I'm totally stealing everything you just said about gear wink.gif
BlackJaw
QUOTE (Betx @ Oct 14 2015, 01:39 PM) *
So I'm totally stealing everything you just said about gear wink.gif

This was fourth edition... and I can't seem to find my character creation notes.
He looked like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7...b1e0ac74f81.jpg

Ares Redline Laser Rifle with backpack (for the ghostbuster vibe, and Lasers were one of the more effective weapons against spirits.)
+ Smartgun
+ Under-barrel powered rail
+ Over-barrel powered rail

Ares SuperSquirt Rifle
+ Smartgun
+ Under-barrel powered rail
+ Over-barrel powered rail

Under-barrel grenade launcher on powered rail with smartgun and airburst
Several different varieties of grenades, including splash and gas loaded with insecticide.

Over-barrel Lucifer Lantern flashlight (not needed if you are awakened) powered rail

He also had a hunting rifle and shotgun, and as well as capsule rounds.

Old used ambulance (Gremlins 2)
+ Turret & fire house cannon
+ Extra Ammo "tank" full of insecticide

Brown armored coveralls with basic helmet.

The whole host of Manatech options from 4th edition's Arsenal, although for an awakened character they might not be so useful.
AMP (Background count reader)
Glow Wand (Magic Detector)
Lucifer Lamp (Dual Natured Lantern)
Leechband
Quicksilver Mana Sensitive Film Camera (Spirit Photography)
Tobin's Spirit Guide
PocketMage System (Magical database and analysis systems)
Forensic Thaumaturgy Kit (various magical detecting and analysis tools)
Manahazard Cases (Mystical containment kits)
Magical Compounds (Allow astral sight and other abilities when consumed.)

He also had an old used firehouse that operated his exterminator business out of. Mostly he got work dealing with devil rats, and even had one of those pet awakened lizards that are known to be devil rat predators, complete with some ranks in animal training.

His list of chemicals:
FAB I (UV sight)
FAB II-b (dual natured Cloud, slows astral creatures)
Wyrd Mantis Essence (Bug Spirit Repellent)
KE IV (Bug Spray)
Nausea Gas
CS/Tear Gas
Pepper Punch (pepper spray)
Freeze Foam (Hardens into solid foam)
NeuroStun (toxin)
Thermal Smoke (blocks vision, even thermal vision)

I found Freezefoam grenades to be especially awesome in closed spaces like hallways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012