Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chummer any good?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
So anyone ever use it? Any good?
KnightAries
It works for a majority of the main items and is actively being worked on though there are some issues. That's because it is being modified from the original 4ed version.

Overall I like it.

It's free.... biggrin.gif
Tecumseh
It's fantastic and I use it every day. It's also invaluable as a look-up reference for what book something is in and what page it's on. It's like a giant index for Fifth Edition.
Mantis
Considering it is free, it's the best program out there. Yeah I know hero labs has one too but it costs quite a bit to get all the books. For me the free part outweighs any problems I run into.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Oct 26 2015, 06:01 PM) *
So anyone ever use it? Any good?

"Is it any good?"

Short answer: Yes!

Long Answer: Hell yes it good. Sure there some bugs**, but those bugs are minor. The program does all the calculations for you and that makes it is SO much easier to play around and make an awesome character. You can try all sorts of combinations and it's as easy as point and click. The printouts for the characters are top notch and if you can print to a PDF file (link below), then you can turn your character into a PDF file and put it on you tablet or phone and have your character with you when you need it.

** == The SR5 version. The SR4 does not have any bugs that I can find.

PDFForge for those who want to create PDFs of their character sheets: http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator
SpellBinder
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Oct 28 2015, 08:09 AM) *
"Is it any good?"

Short answer: Yes!

Long Answer: Hell yes it good. Sure there some bugs**, but those bugs are minor. The program does all the calculations for you and that makes it is SO much easier to play around and make an awesome character. You can try all sorts of combinations and it's as easy as point and click. The printouts for the characters are top notch and if you can print to a PDF file (link below), then you can turn your character into a PDF file and put it on you tablet or phone and have your character with you when you need it.

** == The SR5 version. The SR4 does not have any bugs that I can find.

PDFForge for those who want to create PDFs of their character sheets: http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator
There are a few bugs that will never be resolved now, but they are few and not so likely to be encountered I expect.

And in answer to the OP, yes & yes. I use it to detail my shadowrun story characters, mark their progression and expenses on a per chapter/adventure basis, and it is incredibly much easier than trying to use another program like a notepad to keep track of everything, including what KCKitsune mentioned about all of the calculations being automatic. You can also create custom XML data files for your own custom equipment, qualities, spells, etc., and all without having to impede upon the core files themselves.
KnightAries
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Oct 28 2015, 10:38 AM) *
There are a few bugs that will never be resolved now, but they are few and not so likely to be encountered I expect.

Was that for chummer SR4? I've found I think 1 bug which I was able to fix. beyond that I've found a few things that I find that I have to make changes to but nothing on the software side.
SpellBinder
Sorry, yes, that was for the version of Chummer for SR4. One is in the karma build pertaining to knowledge skills, using the free knowledge skill points house rule results in free specializations until you're spending karma on those skills (which then all specializations cost the normal 2 karma). The other is when you start mixing awakened/emergent characters with implants, initiation/submersion results to your maximum Magic/Resonance can get screwy, along with the mouse-over prompt for karma costs, and sometimes even actual karma costs as well.

I don't know about the implants bit in Chummer5 (I am currently writing in SR4's timeline, so I use SR4 mechanics for everything), but in messing around with the karma build a little it's equipped to handle the specializations easy enough.
Iduno
Excel sheets are easier to anyone to update or add to, which can be either good or bad. Excel is also easier to read and figure out how they work if you want to check the calculations. They also require whichever computer you're on to have the correct version of excel (not not Open Office or an older version of excel). Each save file is a new copy of the entire worksheet.

Chummer is less versatile, but not usually in any way that will matter (adding/editing an xml file and figuring out how to make chummer accept it is a bit fiddly, but works). It is also a single self-contained program that you can take anywhere.

I would say use Chummer unless you find a calculation that you can't change, but you want performed a different way. Like SpellBinder's example about the way resonance/magic work with essence loss after you initiate.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Iduno @ Oct 29 2015, 03:52 PM) *
Excel sheets are easier to anyone to update or add to, which can be either good or bad. Excel is also easier to read and figure out how they work if you want to check the calculations. They also require whichever computer you're on to have the correct version of excel (not not Open Office or an older version of excel). Each save file is a new copy of the entire worksheet.

You also have to have a current version of Excel.

Chummer is a lot easier on the pocketbook, and sure there may be bugs, but the source code is out there and can be fixed if someone had the programming knowledge.

As for the Excel character generators being easier to read... sorry I tried a few and they were a LOT harder to read and get things done than Chummer. Finally Chummer made NICE character sheets.
KnightAries
QUOTE (Iduno @ Oct 29 2015, 12:52 PM) *

Chummer is less versatile, but not usually in any way that will matter (adding/editing an xml file and figuring out how to make chummer accept it is a bit fiddly, but works). It is also a single self-contained program that you can take anywhere.

I would say use Chummer unless you find a calculation that you can't change, but you want performed a different way. Like SpellBinder's example about the way resonance/magic work with essence loss after you initiate.

Also there are things in chummer that are easier to update within the XML files with any text editor or download Notepad++ (free) which provides some color coordination. Excel is a bit harder for the avg person to update.
Kyoto Kid
...been using Chummer5e since I got involved in a local Missions group over the summer. A few odd quirks but for the most part, it works pretty darn good and it even produces a nice character sheet (that allows attaching of images). Maintaining the character after entering career mode is pretty slick, far better than doing it in Excel.

A few improvements I could see:

● A more elegant way to upgrade 'ware. Currently you have to sell back the original implant before purchasing the upgrade, creating a temporary essence hole.

● Fixing a bug when a skill group is broken. After increasing a single skill with Karma then saving and closing the character, the skill reverts back to the original rating it had from the group when the character file is opened afterwards, even though the Karma expenditure shows as being applied in the Karma/Nuyen tab.

● High Fashion Armour with the "Custom Fit (Stackable)" attribute from one brand name will stack with that of another (eg. a Mortimer of London Argentum Longocat and Zoé Executive Suite business suit).

● Some of the Gene Mods from Chrome and Flesh do not adjust attributes/pools (possibly just an oversight as the source book was recently added)

● Nanogear does not show in the gear tab (again probably just a matter of time).

All in all though, not a bad a little programme considering that other members of our group have been experiencing issues with the Hero Labs generator as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012