Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attacking a focus
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grinder
Where can I find the rules for attacking an active focus out of astral space?
Machiavelli
Not sure if this is possible anymore. You can use the spell "disrupt focus", but i cant remember if it is a mana spell or if it attacks the physical component of the focus. With dispelling, you can deactivate the focus. I think everything else had been skipped in SR4.
Mantis
Yup. Taking out foci with astral combat is no longer possible. Last edition you could do that was SR3.
Sengir
From the SR4 FAQ:

Can I attack an active focus in Astral Combat? If so, how much damage can it take, and what happens when its damage track is filled up?

This will be answered fully in an upcoming sourcebook. In the meantime, the following is an optional rule gamemasters may choose to implement in their games, based on the Disrupt [Focus] spell:

An active focus is dual-natured and can be attacked using Astral Combat much like a ward or targeted by spells like Disrupt [Focus] (p.16, Digital Grimoire) or other Mana-based spells that deal Physical damage.

From the Disrupt [Focus] spell description: On the astral plane, an active focus has Barrier and Structure ratings equal to its Force. If its Structure rating is reduced to 0, the focus is disrupted and becomes inactive; the magician bonded to the focus cannot gain dice bonuses or any other benefit from the focus until it is reactivated. A focus “heals” a number of boxes of damage equal to its Force every Combat Turn; when all the damage is repaired the owner may spend a Simple Action to reactivate the focus. Disrupting a sustaining focus will also disrupt the spell it is sustaining. Astrally projecting magicians whose foci become disrupted cannot reactivate them until their astral form rejoins their physical body.

Alternatively, just wait until the owner moves and cast a Mana Barrier in his path biggrin.gif
Mantis
Answered in an upcoming source book that never appeared. Typical.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mantis @ Nov 4 2015, 12:06 PM) *
Answered in an upcoming source book that never appeared. Typical.

IIRC, The Answer supplied in the FAQ was to be the answer in the upcoming book, just expounded upon more, I believe. Either way, there is an answer to the question. smile.gif
I believe the book was consigned to an unforeseen death by the mass exodus of the freelancers/former employees of that time.
Sengir
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 4 2015, 10:41 PM) *
I believe the book was consigned to an unforeseen death by the mass exodus of the freelancers/former employees of that time.

Yes, IIRC there was a "high magic" sourcebook planned to go along the Dawn of the Artifacts adventures, but it died in CGL's Year of Chaos
bannockburn
There was. I still got a file with notes towards it. It's pretty interesting.
Machiavelli
Link please. ^^
bannockburn
Can't.
I don't remember whose file it is, and the author's name isn't in it.
Could be AH, but I'm not sure, and I don't share if I don't know the source. It does specifically mention attacking foci in astral combat though, up to the comparison to the Disrupt Focus spell.
The filename is NotesTowardTheAdvancedMagicBook.txt, if you want to google its author.
Sendaz
I remember that file, he has some ideas on bringing grounding back.

loads of ideas to be had, just need to tweak to fit edition.
ThreeGee
Googling NotesTowardTheAdvancedMagicBook.txt is certainly VERY informative if you are looking to locate the file...

It isn't that informative when it comes to attacking foci, I have to say.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012