Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slang
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thanos007
Honestly the slang in SR just takes me right out of the world. It just seems juvenile. I'm talking the made up ones. Not the loan words from other languages. Anyone else feel this way?
Tecumseh
Nah, I love it. For me it's one of those things that helps make the Shadowrun world distinct and different from our own. Admittedly, the slang benefits from some 1E/2E nostalgia, which is part of the reason why I am endeared to it.
Wakshaani
HUGE fan of the slang here. The move in 4th to use 'real cusswords' was a real downbeat for me and I avoid it as much as possible... there's SOME of it, but you'll know when Bull or I write stuff because 'frag' and 'drek' are *everywhere*. smile.gif

My only problem with slang is that we're still using the *same* slang. What was in vogue in 2050 shouldn't be the same in 2077. That's like using slang from 1986 today. While some words, like 'frag' are still around, kinda like how 'cool' dates back to the real world 60's and keeps staying around as a fallback term between new slang terms, trying to use "Gag me with a spoon", "Eat my shorts", "Dweeb", or "Tubular" is just gonna get you stared at these days.

I floated an update slang list for teh SR5 book, but it never got hammered out and we went with the standard list. I'm a tad biased, obviously, but I liked most of them! Some where clearly earmarked as short term stuff to toss into stories for a year or two then vanish, while others had staying power. I tried to draw from other cultures other than Japanese, too.

Alas, alas.
Fabe
Yup, I'm Ok with Shadowruns "made up" slang as well , If you where to jump forward in time 60 years I bet you would find a world filled with all sorts of new and strange slang. Also in terms of game setting the slang makes sense and not juvenile at all. As for modern slang being used in shadownrun.well a lot of it has been around for this long so it makes sense that some of it will be around in 60 years from now.
JanessaVR
Actually, I rather enjoy the Sixth World slang. It's one of the unique features of Shadowrun.
Rajaat99
I also enjoy the 6th world slang, as it adds flavor to the Shadowrun Universe.
I had a player who used real world slang and not SR slang, so all the NPCs would call him a Flinstone.
Sendaz
Chauncey & Mortimer are two senior veteran Runners who speak with an Old School British Gentleman Accent but do use SR slang (often enunciated for effect) to keep up with the times, which can be hilarious listening to. wink.gif

Sort of like listening to Batman's Alfred talking 'street'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012