Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is fancy Derek?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Black Mamba
And what does he have to do with Rigging?

The second sentence in the book reads, "And if you don’t know, you’d better find out, because someone else is going to come in with their rigger doing all sorts of fancy Derek, and you’re going to look very foolish."

Does Catalyst even proof their products? Are there no editors? How was this typo missed?

I just can't comprehend the volume of typographical errors that have plagued fifth edition. I believe that the writers are competent people with a passion for the game, but I DO NOT believe that they are receiving the necessary support or oversight to ensure their success.

And another gear book without adequate illustrations? It's like a video game filled with placeholders rather than fully rendered forms. How are we supposed to know what any of these things look like?

Guess I'll be pulling out the previous editions of the game to give players some idea as to what they're dealing with.
SpellBinder
Noted in the official discussion on Rigger 5.0 and the multitude of goofs, this is a typo. Replace "Derek" (a proper name) with "drek" (a curse word replacement for "shit").

The rest I will not touch at the risk of touching of some nuclear flames.
Wakshaani
For teh record, typo or no, I am absolutely in *love* with Fancy Derek. Dude is clearly wearing a Hamburg pulle dlow over his eyes, he's got killer sideburns, and always, always, *always* wears a tie.

He's not just some scummy Shadowrunner. He's downright *fancy*.
Medicineman
I think I'll make Fancy Derek a Connection for one of my chars !

with a fancy Dance
Medicineman
Modular Man
So, mark the birth of Fancy Derek!

Hilarious what this thread turned into biggrin.gif
Fabe
I think some one should make a illustration of Fancy Derek just so we can see just how fancy he is.
Medicineman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctm5fytGW3E

wink.gif someone like him maybe ?

With a Dance to David Guetta
Medicineman
Wakshaani
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LktnL-eszqA...detailpage#t=76

Not quite, but close...
Fabe
I'm thing this gent with a cybepunk flare
http://www.facebook.com/home.php
Black Mamba
You guys rock!

I started visualizing some dapper Dude the first time I read the sentence. Looks like my players are getting a new NPC.

I still want to smack some people, though.
toturi
Clearly Fancy Derek is a relative of Handsome Rob.
Critias
QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 23 2015, 01:44 AM) *

And Jason Statham as Handsome Rob, of course, is the older brother to RocknRolla's Handsome Bob, Tom Hardy.
Sengir
QUOTE (toturi @ Dec 23 2015, 08:44 AM) *

I think he sounds like the biggest and obviously most well-dressed pimp in all of Seattle (which would also explain why he gets mentioned in the book for pimping cars) biggrin.gif

But whatever the specifics, I think everybody agrees Fancy Derek needs to be canonized.
Cochise
QUOTE (Sengir)
But whatever the specifics, I think everybody agrees Fancy Derek needs to be canonized.

I'll agree to disagree on that ...
Fabe
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 23 2015, 01:41 PM) *

I second that
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 23 2015, 10:41 AM) *
I think he sounds like the biggest and obviously most well-dressed pimp in all of Seattle (which would also explain why he gets mentioned in the book for pimping cars) biggrin.gif

LOL. Sure, why not? wink.gif
Fabe
QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Dec 23 2015, 08:55 PM) *
LOL. Sure, why not? wink.gif

And thats a third vote. Should we try and stat Fancy Derek out our selves now?
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Fabe @ Dec 23 2015, 07:04 PM) *
And thats a third vote. Should we try and stat Fancy Derek out our selves now?

Is Pimptastic a positive or negative Quality? smile.gif
Medicineman
QUOTE (Fabe @ Dec 23 2015, 08:46 PM) *
I second that

+1

he also needs a Yerzed out Car

Hough!
Medicineman
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Dec 24 2015, 02:04 AM) *
+1

he also needs a Yerzed out Car

Hough!
Medicineman

Yerzed? Must be one of those new-fangled German Words, nein?
Medicineman
nope
Yerzed is Or'Zet and means pimped
it's from the new Rigger 5.0 Book

HougH!
Medicineman
Wakshaani
Hmm. Hmmm...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5...f7a210d2fb5.jpg
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Dec 24 2015, 06:52 AM) *
nope
Yerzed is Or'Zet and means pimped
it's from the new Rigger 5.0 Book

HougH!
Medicineman

Well... epic failure on my linguasoft, obviously. frown.gif
Medicineman
No Prob at all smile.gif
Merry X-mas to You and all the other SR-Gamers

Wiith a Christmas Dance
Medicineman
KarmaInferno
Fancy Derek is Fancy Derek. He's just this guy, ya know?

I agree he needs to happen, and now I cannot imagine him as anything but an ork.

Wasn't there an illustration previously that had an ork dressed in fancy artiste clothing?

-k
Deckbeard
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 24 2015, 12:52 PM) *
Fancy Derek is Fancy Derek. He's just this guy, ya know?

I agree he needs to happen, and now I cannot imagine him as anything but an ork.

An additional +1 for a cannon Fancy Derek. We have six votes so far.

He exudes a sense of cool, self assured confidence that could make a dragon think twice and any trid star swoon. He's an ork but even Humanis doesn't care, Fancy Derek exists beyond race.
Critias
The thing that kills me about this is that I could work Derek in so easily on either of two things I'm working on right now.
Sendaz
A Kincaid/Derek teamup?

Hmmmmm

Be like a 2070s version of Spenser for Hire wink.gif

I could see Avery Brooks doing the voiceover for Derek.

in the meantime some images to chuckle over:

Little too aggressive but on the right path

Bit more street

The 70s called, they want their **** back
Medicineman
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 28 2015, 05:12 AM) *
The thing that kills me about this is that I could work Derek in so easily on either of two things I'm working on right now.

What keeps you from doing it ?
Secret RPG Police ?
Come on
Why don't you show the Readers that CGL can ...."take a Punch" and that You're clever enough to turn a Bug into a Feature

With a Daring Dance
Medicineman
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Dec 28 2015, 04:45 AM) *
Secret RPG Police ?
Come on
Why don't you show the Readers that CGL can ...."take a Punch" and that You're clever enough to turn a Bug into a Feature

With a Daring Dance
Medicineman

Indeed. If you think you can do a good job statting him out, post his build here.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Dec 28 2015, 07:45 AM) *
Secret RPG Police ?
Most likely it would be Frank down in Legals.

Sure he could write up a fanfic piece like any of us could, granted I suspect his would be much better done than my own rambling tales, but would he be able to submit it upstairs as a SR piece given the question of who owns the IP of 'Derek'?

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Dec 28 2015, 03:24 PM) *

Sure he could write up a fanfic piece like any of us could, granted I suspect his would be much better done than my own rambling tales, but would he be able to submit it upstairs as a SR piece given the question of who owns the IP of 'Derek'?

Should be no different for any other character made for a piece.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 28 2015, 05:38 PM) *
Should be no different for any other character made for a piece.

Yes and no.

It would not be unlike if I were to write about the wacky hi-jinks of the head of a certain armaments related AAA megacorporation who moonlights as a runner for mysterious reasons with a penchant for berating the thuggery of a Major First world language in regards to it's tendency to abscond with various bits as it sees fit.
Now besides the fact that my lifespan would be measurable in milliseconds once that got published as it would certainly activate a certain NDOA (Nebulous Death on Arrival with the final timestamp to be set by said corp head), there would be an issue of who has the right to that representation of the character?
The original party behind the mask or the relentless observer who backtracked and uncovered their subterfuge?

Seeing as Waki initially gave the initial outline of Derek, it may be something as simple as noting his contribution to the development of the character in the piece as many authors credit those who helped them along the way, but even then PapaPub may want further assurances that there would be no potential problems cropping up down the road.
Especially if Derek becomes wildly popular and suddenly has a quantifiable worth.
(coming soon: Kickstarter for Derek Action Figure with changeable wardrobe and e-book 'Derek's Download on Dressing the Part- How to Look StreetSharp,not StreetSlum)
Critias
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Dec 28 2015, 06:45 AM) *
Secret RPG Police ?
Come on

With a Daring Dance
Medicineman

Mostly the NDA/legality concerns, at this point, but partially a worry that Wak or someone else already has plans in motion, too (I don't want to give him a cameo in a product, then have someone else drop him in differently elsewhere). But mostly, yeah, it's kind of the "Secret RPG Police," in that I'm not sure what the licensing issues might be about taking an idea -- even a funny one -- from a public conversation on a public forum, and dropping it into some published fiction somewhere. I just don't want to trip over any legal issues and jeopardize, y'know, my livelihood. It's not the "CGL can't take a joke" thing (I've made fun of plenty, and left plenty of Easter Eggs lying around in my work), it's the "I'm not sure if it can count as my idea" thing.

I'll probably shoot my boss an email and check on it, though, because I really could drop a cameo from a well-dressed Orkish street hustler into either of my two current projects, and he'd fit like a glove. A fine Italian lambskin, cashmere-lined, leather glove.

ETA: Email's away. Let's see what the legal (or whatever) issues might be of me slipping in a character initially conceived in a public forum post.

ETA, Part Two: The official (and speedy) response: "Go for it. If we can't have fun, what are we doing here?" So y'all keep an eye out! I've got two upcoming things set in Seattle, and needed a character idea for something small, and now it's gonna be him. In both of 'em.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 28 2015, 07:17 PM) *
ETA, Part Two: The official (and speedy) response: "Go for it. If we can't have fun, what are we doing here?" So y'all keep an eye out! I've got two upcoming things set in Seattle, and needed a character idea for something small, and now it's gonna be him. In both of 'em.

Look forward to seeing it. smile.gif

Sengir
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Dec 28 2015, 11:24 PM) *

Well, if forum nicknames can appear in stories, I don't see the problem with a character whose name originated in a forum discussion. It's not like somebody wrote a complete biography and Critias intends to lift that wink.gif
Medicineman
@ Critias
Thanks for sharing that
I often forget that other Countries have other habits and in the US you get sued more often/more easily.
From Your point of View you're toatally right (maybe a bit overcautious...? )
Even though I consider it totally stupid to sue you/anybody for ..."getting a Char Idea from a Forum Thread"
( and now I remember that we here in Germany had our share of stupid Lawsuits in the RPG Business , so OK, I understand your Point of View better smile.gif )
I hope Fancy Derek (The Ork Pimp & Fixer) will become part of the oficial SR Canon Chars
I'll surely add him to my NPCs and I'll give SirDoom/Peer a "nudge" to include him too (if possible)

with a fancy Dance
Medicineman
Critias
As a professor and a historian, not just a writer, I'm especially concerned about issues of my creative content being my own. Plagiarism is something where I'm just...extra careful, I guess. I bust too many students every semester for cheating for me not to just be a little extra cautious about this sort of thing. wink.gif

I figure it doesn't hurt to ask someone above me on the ladder, whenever I'm not sure.
Medicineman
I figure it doesn't hurt to ask someone above me on the ladder, whenever I'm not sure.

nope, surely not, thats what they're there for. biggrin.gif
I just opened a Thread in the German Pegasus forum with a link so we can have a discussion there too and I hope for a lot of approvals

http://www.foren.pegasus.de/foren/topic/25969-fancy-derek/

with a connecting Dance
Medicineman
Doc Byte
Everybody knows Dirk 'Fancy Derek' Pitt, inventor of the Panama. biggrin.gif
Fyndhal
Funny! Over on the other forums, someone stat'd up "Fancy Derek" as a 9 CHA Giant with Tailored Pheromones.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=22985.0
Black Mamba
This just keeps getting better.
Critias
Projects mentioning Fancy Derek, number one of two: submitted (for those curious to keep track from home). The second one's a good bit longer, but I'll tackle it in the next few weeks.
Sendaz
Yay ! smile.gif
toturi
So... maybe one day we will get official stats for Bubba, Mungo and Fancy Derek.
Sendaz
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 11 2016, 09:20 PM) *
So... maybe one day we will get official stats for Bubba, Mungo and Fancy Derek.
Hmmm.....
Mungo hacking from his commlink/modified deck unless he finally sprung for the HackMaster 3000 hybrid BattleAxe/Deck.
And yes, Hacking on the Fly takes on a whole new meaning...

Fancy Derek on Face.

Bubba for added damage and tanking.

Could resurrect/restart Growler seeing as he was pretty much a junkyard cyberzombie last we saw him...

All we are lacking is a spellcaster (Don't know if Derek might be an Adept of the Speakers Way or not) and you got an all Trog Runner Team. nyahnyah.gif
Zednark
Okay, I'm going to rustle up stats for Fancy Derek, because I have nothing better to do.
Zednark
Alright, here's a rough draft of Fancy Derek. Things of not include guns plated with valuable metals, an entire wardrobe of armored pimp clothes, and a mild addiction to Fancy Clothes.

== Info ==
Street Name: Fancy Derek
Name: Unnamed Character
Movement: 10/20
Street Cred: 0
Notoriety: 0
Public Awareness: 0
Ork
Composure: 9
Judge Intentions: 9
Lift/Carry: 7 (45 kg/30 kg)
Memory: 4
Nuyen: 3370

== Priorities ==
Metatype: C - Human, Dwarf, Elf, or Ork
Attributes: D - 14 Attributes
Special: E - Mundane
Skills: B - 36 Skills/5 Skill Groups
Resources: A - 500,000¥

== Attributes ==
BOD: 4
AGI: 5
REA: 2
STR: 3
CHA: 7
INT: 2
LOG: 2
WIL: 2
EDG: 1

== Derived Attributes ==
Essence: 5.1
Initiative: 4 + 1d6
Rigger Initiative: 4 + 1d6
Astral Initiative:
Matrix AR Initiative: 4 + 1d6
Matrix Cold Initiative: 2 + DP + 3d6
Matrix Hot Initiative: 2 + DP + 4d6
Physical Damage Track: 10
Stun Damage Track: 9

== Limits ==
Physical: 4
Mental: 3
Social: 11
Astral: 11

== Active Skills ==
Animal Handling : 0 Pool: 6
Archery : 0 Pool: 4
Armorer : 0 Pool: 1
Automatics : 5 Pool: 10
Blades : 0 Pool: 4
Clubs : 0 Pool: 4
Computer : 0 Pool: 1
Con : 6 [Seduction] Pool: 13 (15)
Cybercombat : 0 Pool: 1
Demolitions : 0 Pool: 1
Disguise : 0 Pool: 1
Diving : 0 Pool: 3
Escape Artist : 0 Pool: 4
Etiquette : 6 [Street] Pool: 13 (15)
First Aid : 0 Pool: 1
Forgery : 0 Pool: 1
Free-Fall : 0 Pool: 3
Gunnery : 0 Pool: 4
Gymnastics : 0 Pool: 4
Hacking : 0 Pool: 1
Heavy Weapons : 0 Pool: 4
Impersonation : 1 Pool: 8
Instruction : 0 Pool: 6
Intimidation : 6 Pool: 13
Leadership : 4 Pool: 11
Longarms : 5 Pool: 10
Navigation : 0 Pool: 1
Negotiation : 6 Pool: 13
Perception : 0 Pool: 1
Performance : 0 Pool: 6
Pilot Ground Craft : 0 Pool: 1
Pilot Watercraft : 0 Pool: 1
Pistols : 5 Pool: 10
Running : 0 Pool: 2
Sneaking : 0 Pool: 4
Survival : 0 Pool: 1
Swimming : 0 Pool: 2
Throwing Weapons : 0 Pool: 4
Tracking : 0 Pool: 1
Unarmed Combat : 5 Pool: 10

== Knowledge Skills ==

== Qualities ==
Addiction (Mild) (Fancy Clothes)
Distinctive Style
Exceptional Attribute (CHA)
Low-Light Vision

== Lifestyles ==
The Pimp House 12 months

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
Genetic Optimization (CHA)
Tailored Pheromones Rating 3

== Armor ==
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes") 6
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes 2") 6
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes 3") 6
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes 4") 6
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes 5") 6
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes 6") 6
Armor Clothing ("Pimp Clothes 7") 6

== Weapons ==
Ares Predator V ("The Golden Gun")
+Smartgun System, Internal
Pool: 10 Accuracy: 7 DV: 8P AP: -1 RC: 2
Minigrenade: Flash-Bang
Pool: 4 Accuracy: 0 DV: 10S (10m Radius) AP: -4 RC: 2
Minigrenade: Fragmentation
Pool: 4 Accuracy: 0 DV: 18P(f) (-1/m) AP: +5 RC: 2
Mortimer of London 'Trafalger' Gun Cane ("The Pimp Stick")
Pool: 0 Accuracy: 6 DV: 7P AP: RC: 2
Ultimax 70 ("The Platinum Gun")
+Laser Sight
Pool: 10 Accuracy: 6 DV: 6P AP: - RC: 4
Unarmed Attack
Pool: 10 Accuracy: 4 DV: 3S AP: - RC: 2

== Martial Arts ==
Bartitsu
+Ballestra
+Kick Attack
+Riposte
+Strike the Darkness

== Commlink ==
Fairlight Caliban (ATT: 0, SLZ: 0, DP: 7, FWL: 7)

== Gear ==
Ammo: EX-Explosive Rounds (Heavy Pistols) x200
Ammo: EX-Explosive Rounds (Machine Pistols) x400
Certified Credstick, Platinum x10
Fake SIN (Wilhelm Richardson) Rating 5
Fake SIN (Donny Velcro) Rating 5
Hurlg x100
Minigrenade: Flash-Bang x20
Minigrenade: Fragmentation x20
Monocle Rating 4
+Image Link
+Vision Enhancement Rating 3

== Vehicles ==
Eurocar Westwind 3000 (Luxury Sports Car)
+Heavy Weapon Mount
+Sensor Array Rating 5
Transys Office Maid (Medium)
+Sensor Array Rating 2
Yongkang Gala Trinity (Speedboat)
+Sensor Array Rating 2
Critias
Manuscript submitted (the much, much, longer piece, not the shorter blurb I already sent in for a different product).

His crunch isn't at all based on the versions of him floating around the forums -- even that last post, sorry -- but I went with some of the photographic inspiration from earlier, and ran with it from there. I think y'all will like the end result.
Deckbeard
QUOTE (Critias @ Feb 2 2016, 04:20 AM) *
Manuscript submitted (the much, much, longer piece, not the shorter blurb I already sent in for a different product).

This is amazing. Is there a time frame for this? When do we get to meet the legend?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012