Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wanting to run Shadowrun 4ed using Mythic GME for solo play
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
InfinitePudding
Hello all, I'm pretty new to Shadowrun, I bought 4th ed a few years ago and never had anyone to play it with and now I have this great tool called Mythic Role Playing which is another RPG System made by Word Mill games (I'm sure some of you have probably heard of it) and I intend to use it's GM Emulator feature to run a game for myself as the the sole player. I asked on the Mythic group how to go about generating NPCs and I got some answers, one of which was to come here and see if I could find a random NPC Generator that someone may have made or a collection of ready made NPCs. I'm new to the site as you can tell and I have been looking and I can't seem to find any thing like that in the forums so I thought I would ask you kind users for guidance. And maybe if you have any tips for running Shadowrun 4ed with Mythic for a complete newbie I would appreciate that too.
Koekepan
QUOTE (InfinitePudding @ Jan 7 2016, 11:53 PM) *
Hello all, I'm pretty new to Shadowrun, I bought 4th ed a few years ago and never had anyone to play it with and now I have this great tool called Mythic Role Playing which is another RPG System made by Word Mill games (I'm sure some of you have probably heard of it) and I intend to use it's GM Emulator feature to run a game for myself as the the sole player. I asked on the Mythic group how to go about generating NPCs and I got some answers, one of which was to come here and see if I could find a random NPC Generator that someone may have made or a collection of ready made NPCs. I'm new to the site as you can tell and I have been looking and I can't seem to find any thing like that in the forums so I thought I would ask you kind users for guidance. And maybe if you have any tips for running Shadowrun 4ed with Mythic for a complete newbie I would appreciate that too.

Interesting idea - there are some NPC generators, as well as a kit that Catalyst published in their Runner's Toolkit boxed set of stuff.

That said, how about talking to folks here and seeing if you can set up a game?

But the way, I'm completely unfamiliar with Mythic and GME. Can you give us a brief explanation?
InfinitePudding
QUOTE (Koekepan @ Jan 8 2016, 04:05 AM) *
Interesting idea - there are some NPC generators, as well as a kit that Catalyst published in their Runner's Toolkit boxed set of stuff.

That said, how about talking to folks here and seeing if you can set up a game?

But the way, I'm completely unfamiliar with Mythic and GME. Can you give us a brief explanation?

Sure, I don't mind giving an explanation of Mythic, but as for me setting up my own game well I fear I lack to confidence to run a game without Mythic and for more than anyone but myself really. Plus I'm totally new to Shadowrun. I wouldn't mind joining a game, heck I'd freaking love that.

But anyway, Mythic is a full fledged RPG that can work with any setting and that can be played with or without a GM with very little prep work on the part of the players. It has a fate chart which is consulted with Yes or No questions on a table of probability using 2D10 to come back with an answer of Yes, No, Exceptional Yes, and Exceptional No. Using logic and the context of the question and the over arching adventure you can build whole worlds and scenarios on the fly. Where it's strength lies is it's chaos factor mechanic. As the story unfolds through yes or no questions sometimes the game will throw random story hooks at you if you roll under the chaos threshold. You roll on event table and get two words that you use logic to determine what has happened. In this way the game sort of tricks you into behaving like your own GM. It's making you come up with new plot hooks and story twists you wouldn't have come up with otherwise.

For example, I am currently in the middle of a campaign in a fantasy setting where my character who left home to become a mercenary fought in an army to defend a village from a tribe of orcs. After the battle He decided to join the royal military and fight the orcish hoard. As I was setting up the scene to have him ride to the royal city I rolled a 2, below the chaos threshold of 5 and got a random event meaning Truce Oposition. I took this to mean that the king had decided open war with the orcish tribe was too risky and so he had sent a diplomatic party to speak with them. This opened up a whole new plot in the story and the orcs actually did accept the truce and now the campaign is probably going to take a turn from a war story to a story of the tribulations of two nations who are dealing with racism and trying to continue on with peace.

But the part most people are interested in about Mythic is the rules that allow you to run games without a GM for solitary play. As it was also designed to be used for that purpose with other systems. There are three publications published by Word Mill Publications and they are Mythic Role Playing, which is the whole RPG include the GM Emulator rules, Mythic Game Master Emulator which is the emulator sans the generic RPG and Mythic Variations which is collection of additional rules and concepts to use with either book. They are all quite cheap, I think I paid under 8 dollars for the Mythic Role Playing and Mythic Variations PDFs from RPG Drivethru. They are pretty widely known in the solitary RPG community and even quite a bit in the larger Role Playing community.
Koekepan
It certainly sounds interesting... but more to the point, where are you in the world? We have a board here for people looking to hook up for games, but it would help if we had some idea of where to send Mister Johnson to have a chat.
InfinitePudding
I'm afraid i live out in the middle of nowhere in Southern Illinois in a podunk town named Grayville.
Mantis
There are also a couple of Shadowrun G+ groups that set up online games and even the occasional in person game. You could check those out to see if you have any luck as well as checking to see if there is a meetup group near you that has a game going.

For NPCs, there are several stock ones in the Friends and Foes section of the SR4 book. You can also find a bunch in Contacts and Adventures which comes with the 4th ed GM screen as well as WAR!, though I wouldn't recommend that book just for the NPCs. It isn't a very good book over all and while you can also get it on Drivethru, I think unless it goes on a steep sale price, isn't worth it.
InfinitePudding
Thanks Mantis. smile.gif
Mickle5125
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=37180
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=20029

here are a couple topics with pre-generated characters. Might be a good starting point for you.
Johnny Zen
Check out AncientHistory's PACKS for pre-builtNPCs:
http://danvolodar.ru/ancientfiles/drafts.html
Mantis
QUOTE (Johnny Zen @ Jan 9 2016, 02:34 PM) *
Check out AncientHistory's PACKS for pre-builtNPCs:
http://danvolodar.ru/ancientfiles/drafts.html

The PACKS system is intended for building PCs more than NPCs. It will work fine for making prime runner NPCs as opposition though. SR4 has a guide in the Friends and Foes section detailing what sort of prime runners are what sort of challenge for a group of PCs and how much karma or build points they should be built with. You can use PACKS to quickly distribute those points. I probably wouldn't use this to make up mooks though. Too much tweaking needed to get it to fall into the (usually) much lower BP or karma values for mooks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012