Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic Adept: Power Focus and Attribute Boost
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Hi Folks,

i already cross checked the question, if a power focus e.g. helps a mystic adept to roll for the attribute boost-power, and somebody already said that it should work, but is this a houserule or canon?
Mantis
By the rules a power focus aids in any roll that includes the magic attribute but (at least in SR4) it specifies that it helps the magician's magic attribute rolls. Says nothing about adept or mystic adept. So at least for SR4, it won't help them. SR5 makes no such distinction so any character with a magic attribute can benefit from them. So if you are playing SR5, enjoy your attribute boost.
ThreeGee
If your strictly concerned with the use of the word 'magician', adepts can't use any Foci, not even Weapon Foci. SR4 Anniversary Edition page 199

A focus must be bound to a magician before it can be of any assistance to him.

So no Foci for Adepts, at all...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
A Power Focus will aid anyone with a Magic Rating that rolls a power/spell/ability that includes their magic Attribute in the roll.
Power Foci are not extremely useful for an Adept, but they can get some minor uses out of them.
ThreeGee
That's how I play it, damn inexact terminology and inattentive editors.
Mantis
Well he did ask for clarification on house rule or cannon. Strictly by the rules as written in 4th, yeah no foci for adepts/mystic adepts. Do I think anyone actually plays this close to the rules? No. Or at least not for long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012