Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Centering Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Joker9125
I was reading through the centering section of MiTS and I discovered that when centering for successes situational modifiers apply. For example

James a grade 1 Initiate is casting a force 3 fireball in an area of +1 background count. TN 4 + 1 (for background count) for a total TN of 5. He centers for successes using 6 die aganst TN of the spell plus modifiers or 5 in this case and gets 2 successes meaning he has 1 success to add to his sorcery test.

Correct so far? Please correct me if im wrong.

Now lets do the same test on James's homeground

James a grade 1 Initiate is casting a force 3 fireball in his homeground with a +1 background count. TN 4 - 1 (for homeground) + 1 (for background count) for a total TN of 4. He centers for successes using 6 die aganst the TN of the spell plus modifiers or 4 in this case. Now since centering is a seperate active skill would it get another -1 TN modifier? instead of a TN of 4 for the centering test would be a TN of 3?

For those that dont know the homeground edge lowers the TN of all active skill tests by 1 while on the homeground
mfb
...hm. i guess it would.
Moon-Hawk
I don't see any reason why not.
blakkie
Something just feels wrong about double counting the bonus for a roll. You already included the bonus once, thus satisfying the requirement in the rule text. I can't quote specific references, but something just seems very wrong about applying a +10 to TN for a M phys + S stun wound.
Zazen
The example in MITS doesn't double-count situational modifiers. When it says to apply them, I think it is making clear that modifiers applied to your magical skill test also apply to your centering test, giving it the same TN.
Joker9125
Thanks
Bearclaw
Just for the record:
What is the centering skill that you character is performing while in the midst of combat, in his small portion of a 3 second round?

Sorry. I'm just irritated by the thought of a bunch of guys spending 1 second "meditating" while dodging bullets, and getting piles of bonuses for it.
BishopMcQ
Bearclaw--I would tend to agree with you that meditating for one second is next to useless, and tend to fall back on the abstract game mechanic. I have yet to find any activity that one can use for centering that works in all circumstances. Chant would be the closest, but seeing someone mutter "I think I can" over and over again in Latin is a little bizarre.

To Joker's initial question, I would agree with Zazen in the heart of the rules, but if you are going to be a lawyer and go by the exact text--it could be argued well on both sides.
Joker9125
it could be any skill but id probably say some arcane language i agree centering in combat does seem a little dumb unless your gesturing or chanting.
When I thought of this I was atually thinking of someone conjuring on his homeground and getting a double TN bounes for his centering test for that. I guess you could say im a bit of a rule lawyer but I do understand the need for game balance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012