Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - DES
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
adamu
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

And what Rocky saw coming next was a wave of half a dozen more bikers bearing down on him, spiked balls swinging on chains, axe blades reflecting neon.

Skidding to a stop at a corner on the other side of the building, John saw a few more bikers around the truck, some looking alert, others still clearly disoriented from his initial blitz, most starting to cough. Beyond them and across the street, he saw Rave - previously coquettish - now arguing and gesticulating heatedly with the K-E men.

Inside the container, Jan felt an unnatural movement in the air that set off alarm bells, but then heard DES in his earpiece: <<I have sent a fellow hunter to guard your errand.>> Directing his attention deeper into the gloom, he saw children secured by plastic restraints - limbs protected by padded cuffs so as not to damage the merchandise - to the siding on right and left. There were maybe twenty of them, and he quickly identified the one whose photo he'd been shown.

They all looked docile, almost catatonic.
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 1950; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #112

John saw the remaining guards around the truck. Using more teargas was out of the question now that the container was open - it didn't do to damage the merchandise.
Instead, he singled out one of the more alert ones, took aim and sent a single bullet towards his brain pan.
adamu
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

Having easily dodged the ganger's charge, ears ringing from the near-passage of their roaring hogs, Rocky clearly saw them all arrayed at the periphery of his smoke screen, now drawing guns.

Meanwhile, busily freeing dazed children, Jan nearly fell as the floor beneath his feet lurched.

Even as John put a bullet through the head of one of the last alert guards, he was surprised and dismayed to see the supposedly disabled tractor-trailer lunge forward, surging directly towards him...
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 1950; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #112

'Well shit. Non standard model, must have a back up engine. Damn, paranoid, redundancy packing smugglers. Seems like we'll have to do it the hard way.'

John pressed the rifle to his body and extended his climbing claws, ready for the truck to head at him.

Automatically a little countdown from his laser range finder displayed the time until impact. At the last possible moment, John activated his hydraulic jump jacks, catapulting himself upwards and with the extended climbing claws, made from hardened titanium steel right through the large armored truck wind screen.
"Here's Johnny"
adamu

Atop the hood of the accelerating tractor, John tore open the windscreen to reveal the muzzle flash of a waiting Savalette Guardian in his face...
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #113

John tried to dodge, but couldn't really without falling off the truck. Bullets struck his face and ripped off part of the synthetic face. The internal diagnostics showed that the bullets had narrowly missed the central sensor unit and even narrower the communications array.

John tried to say something funny, but his voice processor had troubles of it's own.

So instead, John just raised his weapon, aimed and returned the troll's favor at point blank with a full salvo from his rifle.
adamu

John watched in bullet time as his armor-piercing rounds punched through the troll passenger's armor, mini-geysers of blood blossoming like roses across his massive abdomen.

Beside the troll, a young woman strapped into five-point restraints appeared to be sleeping peacefully. There was no change in her expression as the massive truck swerved suddenly into a brick wall, instantly jigged the other way, and then broke hard.
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #114

John's extended claws dug furrows into the trucks hood as he fought to keep his balance.
mister__joshua
Jan
Friday, 22 November, 1950; back of truck just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

"...16...18...20" 20 kids. Pathetic looking plastic restraints held them to the sides of the container, but it looked like they were drugged too. The mini welder was already hot and a couple of dabs freed the first 2 children. He'd planned to go round, herd them all out the back and use that to cover his escape but then something happened that threw a spanner into the workings of his plan... the truck started to move. <<@Jack: I thought you'd disabled this?>> he managed over the subvocal while he struggled to retain his balance; his elven instincts kicking in and keeping him upright. Plan A wasn't going to work.

He'd identified Audric as soon as he entered the truck. Now getting him out was the only objective. Jan fought against the movements of the swerving truck while managing to free Audric without injuring him. He'd removed the restraints from the wall but left them on the kid in case he tried to run anywhere, as unlikely as that was in his groggy state.

He took a glance back at the other kids as he flung Audric up onto his shoulder. "Shame" he muttered as he headed for the doors...
Raiderj
Vexboy out of fucking nowhere jumped onto the top of the trailer. He was pissed and bleeding and LOVING IT! His adrenline was in overdrive. The Korean snipers and their backup did a number on him(not to mention shooting his commlink) but was in his element. The Dragonslayer was whooping and cackling in excitment. "HELL YES KID! THIS IS WHAT ITS ABOUT! FUCK THE MUNDANE!" Vexboy used his gecko tape and moved over to the back doors of the truck.
JDragon

Rocky could still hear the metal of the bikes skidding across the pavement as he continued on for the truck and smoke, and then changed his mind as bikers started coming out of the smoke and heading his direction. "Frag!"

He knew he wouldn't be able to take all of them down in a stand up fight so it was up to him to even up the odds. Reaching in to his coats pockets he pulled out the two smoke grenades he had picked up earlier in the afternoon. Using his teeth to pull the pins he tossed them to the ground, dropping one in front of him and one behind. The smoke quickly filled the street blurring out much of his surroundings, but the heat of the bikes and their riders was easy to pick out as they continued their charge.

As Rocky suspected most the bikers were not up for charging blindly in to the smoke, though two of them felt lucky. Watching them charge Rocky focused on not getting run over or clipped by the barbwire wrapped baseball bat one was swinging and some kind of sword from the other guy. Thanks to all the hours in the ring and the streets Rocky avoided the blows with relative ease and let them fly by him.

Knowing the two that had charged through were not a concern for a few seconds Rocky turned to focus on the ones that hadn't charged through and was not happy with what they he was seeing. The others were coming to a stop outside the smoke and seemed to be opting for the ranged solution to the smoke. Not wanting to give them time to open up Ricky moved forward, picking out a guy with a mean looking room-sweeper for his strike.

Rocky came out of the swirling smoke and landed a heavy left to the side of the guy's head, his head spinning and teeth flying before he hit the ground. Just as quickly Rocky slipped back in to the smoke seeking its cover before the rest opened up.
adamu

Rocky was braced for the gangers' initial salvo, but it didn't come, at least not right away. Their figures around the periphery of the smoke seemed a bit directionless, with some spasming movements, and two outright fell off their bikes.

Meanwhile, leaning over the tail of the trailer and careful not to get his head chopped off by the swinging rear doors, Vexboy was just in time to see Jan emerge from the darkness through a pile of boxes, a kid over his shoulder.
Raiderj
Vexboy speaks up. "They shot my commlink! I got waylaid! Listen! I think I can climb down and burst the fuel tank! Tell the others to get ready to crowd the kids!" Vexboy had a broken goggle and a blood on his cheek but was ok(from just his head.)
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #115

John registered the call from Jan and had a split second to reply <<Bastard has a second engine - obviously.>>

Just as the truck stopped demolishing the wall to its right, John readied himself to enter the cab through the destroyed windshield.
mister__joshua
Jan
Friday, 22 November, 1950; falling from back of truck just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

Jan glanced up at Vexboy. "Don't worry about it kid, we're rolling." He cradled Audric's head in the nook of his shoulder to brace for the impact, and as the truck next kicked he jumped out of the back. Well, dropped would be more fitting. Dropped and rolled, the speed the truck had gathered carrying him skidding along the tarmac. His landing was sharp, though, and Jan was able to spring straight back into a run. Using his shoulders as cover for the lad he moved directly away from any possible incoming fire. Maybe they hadn't noticed him. It couldn't be that clean could it?

<<@All: I'm clear with the target>> <<@John: Do what you have to. Anything else is collateral>>
Raiderj
"Hey! But..." Vexboy sighed. "Well lets think... I better go help the other guy." Vexboy said. "Wait... What if I screw up the plan!?" For all his confidence he did NOT want to fuck up. He decided to change his plan to go over to John.
adamu

Rocky burst from the alley mouth to see that he'd gauged the truck's movement correctly - it was coming up the street toward him at a good clip, black smoke spewing from the engine compartment, John on the hood but going through the windshield.

The truck still careening wildly, John started through the the jagged-edged hole in the supposedly shatterproof windshield.

And then the blood-drenched troll erupted into movement, pink foam spraying from his lips as he bellowed like a bull, massive fist swinging for John's head.
Raiderj
Vexboy stood up and carefully walked towards the truck. When he needed to take a rest he activated the powers from his Foci and stuck his feet to the trailer. "Here is where things get interesting. Do you dare to shoot..." The Dragonslayer said before Vexboy sighed. "I am not going to shoot! I need to get closer..." Vexboy sighed.
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #116

Some of the blood must have gotten into the eyes of the troll as John dodged the wild swing with ease.
"Haaaaaa...vvveeen't I I I I kill ll ll ll ed you bebeforfor?"
'Damnit, the voice modulator is on the fritz. No more cool one-liners'
John had to be content to attack the resurrected troll in silence or give an impromptu HAL performance. With the full power of his servos he raked his claws at the troll's throat, which due to the five-point harness was the most inviting target.
adamu
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

The troll's movement was indeed limited, but he easily swatted John's claw hand aside with a force that threatened to pull the limb from its joint. Meanwhile, the truck peeled hard to the left and stuttered through a series of quick brakes. Now halfway through the windscreen, John was saved from being thrown to the road as the jagged edges of the glass caught him. Mercifully, the shards that would have shredded ballistic armor and would have done the same to human flesh had only cosmetic effect on his exterior.

Vexboy, however, was not in so stable a position. As he struggled to stay on the back of the container, the troll swung at John's head again with a blood-curdling roar of fury almost distracting John from a telltale hum coming from the giant's fist.
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #117

The fight was brutal and without mercy. The troll had the superior strength and reach but was hampered by his harness and the fact that he was fighting mad. John had his speed an agility and up until now neither he nor his opponent had been able to land a deciding blow.
'This is getting ridiculous, I've got to end this before we leave the city.'
Once more he struck at the vulnerable throat of the troll, while the brocken glass around him peeled away the synthetic skin.
adamu
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

This time John found his way past the troll's defenses and his claw struck true, biting through skin and flesh and even catching for a moment on his opponent's reinforced spinal cord before pulling free, dragging great clumps of flesh with it in a veritable flood of crimson.

Almost as if on cue, a disembodied voice rang out from the cab's audio system: <<I've got the guidance system locked on that chemical tanker ahead. Let me bail and I'll leave you the manuals. Anything else, and there'll be nothing you can do to stop this beast.>>
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, aboard a speeding truck, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #118

"I I I'll mmmake you you even a a betttter offererer: L L Let me unununload the kidddds and you you can keeeeep the truck ananand go youryour wayay."
John retracted the claws on his hands to emphasize the offer.
"Iiiittts a a a nice truck. Wououould be a a a shame to to damage it unnnnnnecesssssarrrrrrrilylylyly."
adamu

The truck groaned to a stop with an awful sound and the engine died in a thick cloud of black smoke.

The woman unplugged and said, "Never get clear in this. All yours." And she let herself out.

Rave's voice came over the team's network: <<I'm coming after you with the cops to secure the kids. They'll want all of them, so make sure you secure the one kid. And there'll be problems for anyone they catch with the kids. So grab the target and beat feet. I'll meet you later after I take credit for rescuing all these children."
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:50; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #119

<<Roger. Truck has stopped. Added a marker for you. There's a dead troll inside. I'll have to visit a car wash.
Meet you all back at the safe house.>>

John hastily put his rifle back into his bag and moved away from the truck as the rigger had done. Only then did he notice Vexboy:
"Weeeeellllll, hehehello there. Dododo you nnnnneed a a a ride?"
Raiderj
"After the night I had. YES. Well the good news is there are no snipers to ruin our escapades... Anymore." Vexboy hopped down. "Man I chose a good thing to not attack the fuel tank then. Before we head out let me check the kids!" Vexboy ran to the back. He entered the trailer to see if the kids were alright.
adamu

In the dark confines of the trailer, Vexboy found nineteen kids aged four to fourteen. Almost all were bound to the sidings by plastic restraints. A couple had been released, but they were just lying there in some sort of stupor. At a glance it appeared they were all drugged.

Distant sirens were starting to close in from all directions.

Outside the parked and smoking truck, Seattle drivers were already ignoring what had gone before and trying to steer through and past - no easy task considering the wreckage the truck had left in its wake over the past two blocks.

The voice of DES came through their network. <<Congratulations on a successful hunt. I do not wish this vehicle associated with your deeds, but I am in the alley directly to the east. Come quickly - the lawmen are starting to set up a cordon.>>
Raiderj
Vexboy began slashing at the plasic restraints to cut,them loose. Then he ran out. "HEY! HEY! Tell the shaman guy to send spirits! As many as he can spare! We are NOT gonna be able to get all these kids out on the first trip otherwise!" He yelled at Jack before going back to cut more restraints.
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 19:52; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #120

"Stststop fofofooling around. The the popopolice cccan tttake cccare ooof them them. Gegegeget movmovmoving."
With that John started to retreat towards his car. It took him a minute with the medical stapler to pin the flaps of skin back on his face, so he wouldn't scare little children anymore.
mister__joshua
Jan
Friday, 22 November, 19:52; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex

DES had come to meet Jan, and he was pleased to find the rigger exactly where he'd requested. "Cheers DES" Jan managed while placing Audric in the back. He looked like he'd had a rough ride. Jan sat Audric up and put the seatbelt across him. He quickly rolled his padded shirt, tilted the boy's head and placed it underneath. "He look asleep to you?"

With that he hopped in the front and banged on the roof. "We're good, let's roll."
Raiderj
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Dec 9 2016, 08:50 AM) *
Friday, 22 November, 19:52; near service area just inside the 164 border crossing, Auburn, Seattle Metroplex #120

"Stststop fofofooling around. The the popopolice cccan tttake cccare ooof them them. Gegegeget movmovmoving."
With that John started to retreat towards his car. It took him a minute with the medical stapler to pin the flaps of skin back on his face, so he wouldn't scare little children anymore.

Vexboy got in next to John. "Ok. Lets roll."
JDragon

Rocky watched the truck pass by and was getting ready to chase after it to free the other kids and send a scathing message to Jan about leaving the other kids behind. He heard the siren's and Rave's message about KE being on the way and stepped back in to the alley, wanting to watch and make sure no one else tried anything before KE got there.

The second message from DES about cordons being set up got him moving away from the truck and back to the RV. He made it just as it started moving, luckily DES was keeping a low profile and trying not to draw attention to them.

Once inside Rocky moved to the back and sat on the floor, starting to go through his breathing exercises to try and control the fall from the adrenalin that was still pumping through his system.
Jack_Spade
John returned with Vexboy to the safe house, taking the long way away from the scene. Luckily, John had parked far enough away so his car wasn't associated with commotion. The local news soon were talking about gang warfare and a human trafficking deal that went sideways. John was already ordering an new SIN for himself and looking for a new workshop while he was driving in silence - not because he needed to concentrate, but because his defect voice modulator got on his nerves.
The Koreans were weakened now but would want revenge for his treachery - better to kick them a bit more while they were down. And so he sent to his various contacts a short message, detailing the fact that the Koreans were right now a bit short on manpower and also unable to finish a deal with the Yakuza.

Just as he stopped in front of the drive way to let Vexboy out he sent a message to the small team: <<I've got to get a move on if I don't want the Koreans to find my place, but should one of you come across another work assignment, don't hesitate to contact me. I've attached teh adress of an anonymous matrix PO box where you can leave messages for me. Send the witch my best.>>
To Vexboy he tossed the improvised stealth chip commlink he'd fabricated: "Hehehere, so so so you hahahave a a a spare nnnext tttime."
Raiderj
"Wow... Thanks." He says a bit suprised but nonethless happy to get a new commlink. He pocketed it. And entered the safehouse.
adamu
Friday, 22 November, 2036; 38th Avenue NE, Northeast Tacoma, Tacoma, Seattle Metroplex

DES pulled the RV up to the safehouse just as John was taking off, leaving Vexboy on the front walk.

Turning to the rear of the vehicle, DES said, "We have had a good hunt. But my part now is over. I'll leave the boy's final delivery to you."

The boy was starting to come around. Not quite a teen, but getting his height, he as still tiny to Rocky, and he was not speaking. Just watching. Offered a huge hand up, he stood, and Rocky led him out of the vehicle, Jan slinking along behind. They joined Vexboy and as they approached the door it opened for them. Inside, the door was held by Bronwyn. On the sofa sat D-Pop. And Daphne. She looked fine. But then Rocky noticed that she had no heat signture, and the sofa cushions were not depressed where she was sitting.

But she rose and came close to Rocky, floating in the air so that for once they were of a height with one another. "Thank you, Rocky. I knew I was right about you."

Bronwyn squatted before the eleven-year-old and said, "Welcome, Audric. I knew your parents. Do you remember me?" The boy nodded and she put an arm around him and led him out of the room.

Still lounging on the sofa, D-Pop said to Jan, "Thank you for your help. You may have thought of it as merely a job, but I assure you it was much more than that, both for us...and for you. We've sent a token of gratitude to Dr. Know to give to you when next you see him. And you, Vexboy," she said turning to the youngest of the group, "I'll admit you were a gamble - they tell me now the Pattern was hazy regarding your involvement - but I'm glad I trusted my instincts. Now, we've been doing some cooking if anyone is hungry...."
Raiderj
Vexboy goes up to D-Pop. "Miss D-Pop... Could... I speak with you in private?" He seems rather anxious and even a bit saddened somehow.
adamu
Friday, 22 November, 2036; 38th Avenue NE, Northeast Tacoma, Tacoma, Seattle Metroplex

Standing there tall in her spike-heeled boots and street-chic attire, the woman raised a bemused eyebrow at the young man's request. "Yes, sure." She turned and led the way down a hall to an open door, went inside and plopped down onto the edge of a modest bed. Nodded at a chair. Waited, foot tapping.
Raiderj
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 13 2016, 09:07 PM) *

Standing there tall in her spike-heeled boots and street-chic attire, the woman raised a bemused eyebrow at the young man's request. "Yes, sure." She turned and led the way down a hall to an open door, went inside and plopped down onto the edge of a modest bed. Nodded at a chair. Waited, foot tapping.

He sat down. "I want to join your organization. I want to learn more about the pattern Miss and about the true nature of magic. You see... I got very lucky as a child to have magic and its always sort of bugged me that it was for no reason. I just got lucky. When I was younger all I knew about magic was that it existed. I know very little more now. But hearing about the pattern." He smiles. "I... Can't explain it. My heart races knowing something like that exists! Thats anime tier stuff. Its the kind of thing you roleplay on matrix forums! And it exists!" He seems like a curious child. "I want to learn more." Now he seemed fiercly determined. "I am completely willing to be your errand boy in exchange for more insight. And I can perform a variety of "errands". The truth is... Strictly speaking as a Dragonslayer adept. I feel The Pattern would provide a much more fufilling adventure then any Shadowrun. Furthermore... You showed compassion to kids..." He looks a bit embarrased. "Few... Organizations do in Seattle. If you understand what I mean... I guess I can say I wouldn't mind trusting you." He sighs. "Please Miss. Will you have me?"
Jack_Spade
Friday, 22 November, 2240; somewhere under a highway overpass, Seattle Metroplex 122#

It had taken an hour to get a moving truck at short notice, but John had managed to get the contents of his one room garage/apartment loaded into the vehicle. Now he had parked the truck and was browsing for a new place to live - preferably in a relatively secure, yet not to expensive part of town without electricity rationing.

Of course Nachthexe had gotten hold of him the minute he had gone online again:
<<Hey Johnny-Boy, did you know that the Seoulpa just published a wanted add for a new matrix expert? Must have experience with AI containment... Could that have to do anything with your latest adventure?>>
<<Hey Hexi, who, me? I find it insulting that you could even suggest that I'd blow up a restaurant full of Seoulpa soldiers, torture one of their Lieutenants, turn him into a suicide bomber and start shooting up a gang. Not to mention high jacking a truck at full speed and killing the driver's bodyguard. And all just because some Korean bigwig thought it would be a good idea to press gang me into working for them for free.
Let me assure you this is all slander and lies.>>

<<God damnit, so you were in fact part of that group that attacked those child smugglers. Boy, you are gonna be in so much trouble...>>
<<I already am. Trying to find an affordable yet secure place with reliable grid and net access really is a nightmare in this city.>>
<<John you really have to take this serious: The Korean Mafia will be out for blood after this.>>
<<Good thing than that I don't have any blood to take.>>
<<Ha ha. Don't quit your dayjob. Or rather do and move to another city.>>
<<Gee Hexi, don't worry so much. Just because they are looking for an AI specialist doesn't mean they are going to find one. I'm going to lay low for a while, get a new paint job and maybe improve my meatbag impersonation skills and everything will be peachy.>>
<<John, I have to tell you: You are super-annoying when you are that optimistic. Get in touch if you decide to skip town, I'll keep an eye open for a fitting SIN.>>
<<Sure, see you.>>

John had to admit it was nice to have someone who truly worried about you, even if that person had an almost unhealthy obsession for the matrix and its denizens.
He stopped his matrix search for a moment and looked out of the truck's window into the rainy night. He consciously chose not to use the nightvision filters or any of the other enhancements, so he could savor the picture like back when he still had had a human body. For just a moment he felt something like contentment.
Then he turned back towards the digital realm to find a new place to stash his stuff...
adamu

D-Pop looked as though she was going to say one thing, then she stopped, straightened her face, and said something else. "Vexboy. I think your desire to learn more about your gift, and especially your quest to help children, is very desirable. But I'm afraid you are talking to the wrong person. I do not share your gift. Nor am I am member of any of the covens that have pulled you into their web. I simply work for them, a glorified errand girl they use to do things that require certain skills they mostly don't have. And as a go-between different groups' spats leave them not speaking to each other."

She yawned and stretched, a move that showed her athletic and very womanly build to excellent effect.

"In any case, not only are they not a single group, but none of them allow men. At all. I'd like to help you, maybe find something else, but I'm off for Novosobirsk in three hours. Talk to Bronwyn or Daphne. They'll be more help, but probably still not much."
Raiderj
"Well... Thank you for your honesty." I say a bit embarassed at looking at her bodily form. I nod and write down my contact info. "If you ever need anything."
adamu

She stood and patted him on the shoulder. "Don't give up. It's a good goal. I'm just not the one that can help. I do, however, make a mean chili. You've earned a good meal. Talk to the other ladies - they may be able to point you in a good direction."
mister__joshua
Jan
Friday, 22 November, 20:42; 38th Avenue NE, Northeast Tacoma, Tacoma, Seattle Metroplex

As soon as he'd received notification of his pay, Jan had made for the exit. This whole job had been odd from start to finish. Well, not the work, that was common enough, but the fucking people! This whole run he'd felt like he was chaperoning a school trip. Well, apart from the robot, but he was weird in his own special way.....

As he strolled through the evening Seattle drizzle his first thought was 'Damn glad to be out of there' quickly followed by 'Where the fuck am I going?' He'd burnt his last safehouse. Left it to the wild dogs and dead koreans.

He wandered over a few streets before flagging down a cab. "Motel please. Somewhere that'll take cred from a stick and aren't too fussy about who's staying there... ....I'm meeting a lady"
Raiderj
Vexboy smiled in thanks and left for the dining room. "Hello? Bronwyn?"
adamu

The young woman's smile lit up the poorly lit kitchen. The smells were mouth-watering.

"Vexboy, right? I was watching you and your actions belie your 'aw shucks' demeanor, young man. Here, i made corn bread to go with D-Pop's chili."

She practically shoved the yellow cake into Vexboy's mouth, crumbs scattering everywhere. But when she saw his eyes light up at the taste, she confessed. "Actually, I can't cook for shit. Much rather spend my nights in the clubs than my kitchen. But I'm on good terms with this spirit that can do miracles with an oven and some flour."
Raiderj
QUOTE (adamu @ Dec 15 2016, 01:49 AM) *

The young woman's smile lit up the poorly lit kitchen. The smells were mouth-watering.

"Vexboy, right? I was watching you and your actions belie your 'aw shucks' demeanor, young man. Here, i made corn bread to go with D-Pop's chili."

She practically shoved the yellow cake into Vexboy's mouth, crumbs scattering everywhere. But when she saw his eyes light up at the taste, she confessed. "Actually, I can't cook for shit. Much rather spend my nights in the clubs than my kitchen. But I'm on good terms with this spirit that can do miracles with an oven and some flour."

"Well I love it anyway. Besides you summoned him so thanks! If he is listening thank you spirit!" He sits and eats chili for a while then he firms his resolve. "May I speak to you and Daphne for a moment? In private?"
adamu

Saphne, sitting at the table but the only one not eating, smiled and said, "First D and now us...you're not selling AzWay are you?"

"Don't mind her," rejoined Bronwyn. "Let's finish eating, though." Turning to Rocky, the only other runner that had remained at the safehouse, she changed the topic. "So you were really a professional boxer?"

It was then that D-Pop came in with Audric, bleary-eyed but looking much better. His manner was wary, but he brightened measurably at the sight and smell of the food.
Raiderj
"Heya Miracle Child. Glad to see your kicking. Come eat." Vexboy said to Audric. Before getting back into himself.
adamu

The boy set to with gusto, as did they all - except of course for the astrally-present Daphne. But before the meal was done, a thin, inhuman voice chirped from everywhere and nowhere that, "The car is here."

D-Pop stood and put her hand on the boy's shoulder. "Grab some cornbread for the road, Audric."

Bronwyn and Daphne smiled reassuringly at the boy, but made sign of moving from their places at the table.
Raiderj
Vexboy looked at everyone. "Oh he is leaving? Well so long Miracle Child. Be safe." Vexboy said. "And remember it was the "scum of the earth" that helped save you." He said pointing to him and Rocky with a smile.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012