Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My First Otaku
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Abstruse
I've never made an Otaku before, but I think I followed all the rules properly. I've spoilered it because I also posted the character's background.

[ Spoiler ]

Comments?

The Abstruse One
JongWK
Don't take Infirm, not if you want to live. Or take it -1 instead of -3. Consider taking Knowledge Skills like Resonance Wells, Otaku, Deep Resonance, AIs, etc.
Abstruse
What's wrong with Infirm? He's an Otaku...it's not like I'm going to be wasting karma on improving his physical attributes anyway...

The Abstruse One
Shockwave_IIc
*NOTE* I hope I got this right...as an Otaku, my Physical Attribute caps drop by 1 and my Mental caps raise by one, allowing me to start with a max of 5 in any physical attribute and a 7 in any Mental. Now, since I set all my physical attributes at 1, the cap for the physical attributes lowers by another 1 making it 4 max for any physical attribute, and the cap for mental attributes raises to 8. I also get 2 bonux attribute points which I can't use for anything. Maybe I should've gone for BP...

This is the way i read it. With one exception- Those two bonus points are used just like the Bonus Attribute Edges (but the fact you get 2 of them)

Infirm -3 *NOTE* Now THIS lowers my physical attribute cap by 3 more down to 1 each. I wonder if I can even wear my own clothes or if I have to crawl along the ground with a Str of 1...

You forget the it effects your Attribute max not Racial max. Thus you can get your attrib to 3 (with Karma)

Sleaze 8 x3 256 *NOTE* I figured if an Otaku's attributes and Computer skills can go over 6 at the start, why not their Complex Forms as well?

I'd go with that.

Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Abstruse)
What's wrong with Infirm? He's an Otaku...it's not like I'm going to be wasting karma on improving his physical attributes anyway...

The Abstruse One

Ditto, mines max is 2,4,2 (Elf Infirm 4)
Abstruse
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
*NOTE* I hope I got this right...as an Otaku, my Physical Attribute caps drop by 1 and my Mental caps raise by one, allowing me to start with a max of 5 in any physical attribute and a 7 in any Mental. Now, since I set all my physical attributes at 1, the cap for the physical attributes lowers by another 1 making it 4 max for any physical attribute, and the cap for mental attributes raises to 8. I also get 2 bonux attribute points which I can't use for anything. Maybe I should've gone for BP...

This is the way i read it. With one exception- Those two bonus points are used just like the Bonus Attribute Edges (but the fact you get 2 of them)

So that means that I have 2 Edges I got for free that I now can't use? So does that mean I can trade them in for other Edges? Or does it mean that I can't get the Mental attributes above 7 without using those two points, thus I'll have three wasted Attribute points and should've gone with Priority C for Attributes and given my Tribe High lifestyle? Or did I do the attribute points right and I just got screwed out of my bonus?

The Abstruse One
Shockwave_IIc
The way I read it it would allow in your case two have 2 stats at 9 or one at 10

Example:(My Slightly Munched Little girl)Albino Elf, Phys stat 1, Bonus Will
Body:1
Qucikness:2
Strength:1
Charisma: 10
Intelligence: 10
Willpower:10
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Abstruse)
So that means that I have 2 Edges I got for free that I now can't use? So does that mean I can trade them in for other Edges? Or does it mean that I can't get the Mental attributes above 7 without using those two points, thus I'll have three wasted Attribute points and should've gone with Priority C for Attributes and given my Tribe High lifestyle? Or did I do the attribute points right and I just got screwed out of my bonus?

The Abstruse One

No, it means that those two Bonus Attribute Edges you get can go over your Racial Attribute Max of 8 (eg. you can have two attributes at 9). Honestly starting Otaku really *need* it, too; without the ability to run in Masking Mode your DF is still going to be lower than a competent starting decker.

Also, I'd seriously consider an Attack-S program. Otaku are really good at improvised attacks, so you really don't need to worry about the piddly stuff. An Attack-M program is going to require four hits to take out something, while an Attack S takes only 2, the difference between one initiative pass and two. And why do you have three Sleaze programs? Am I not noticing something here?
Shockwave_IIc
Na it's the Size Multiplier (see the one next to the attack prog)
Eyeless Blond
Wait, 10? Aren't mental attributes normally capped at 8 for pushover Otaku?

As a side note, what Otaku *wouldn't* start with all physical attributes at 1?
Shockwave_IIc
Charisma 8 +2 for being an Elf
Intelligence 8 +2 from being an Otaku bonus
Willpower 8 +1 Being Albino, +1 Bonus Attrib Will

As i said, Slightly Munched....
Eyeless Blond
Heh, just *slightly*... nyahnyah.gif

Anyway, if you can manage to get all three attributes up to 9 and can get your GM to allow you to trade hacking pool into DF at 2-for1 you can get to that sweet spot of a Detection Factor at 12 with 4 Hacking Pool left over, meaning you could probably hack your way into a Red-hard host without too much trouble. Plus boosting your Int by another point will free up a skill point, maybe to put into Electronics B/R.

If I were you I'd think about trading that Attack-M +3Stealth with an Attack-S +1Stealth, and add in something else with the 48Mp you have left. Good choices include Medic-3 and Restore-2, which have the dubious honor of being the only way in SR to heal Stun damage without having to take a nap first. Or maybe Armor-4, or Cloak-4?

(Edit:) Once you get into the game you really should start building up ways to jack-in by remote. Your generally crappy Stealth is going to hurt you a lot when the GM pits you against a host that isn't connected to the 'trix at all. This means Radio/Satalite links and a buddy with Electronics B/R to splice in jacks and stuff for you, 'cause no way i hell are you ever setting foot in an actual target location with no stealth and no Body attribute.
Garland
At least it's not an albino wakyambi elf. ohplease.gif
Phaeton
QUOTE (Garland)
At least it's not an albino wakyambi elf. ohplease.gif

Or a SURGEd wakiyambi elf with a prehensile tail and fur. nyahnyah.gif

I actually did that with BeCKS. Min-maxing/tweaking it so that it actually worked was a bitch... grinbig.gif
Abstruse
What started this was that a guy my friend works with has run Shadowrun before and I haven't gotten to play the game in years (only GM). Also, I assumed that the other people playing wouldn't be as familiar with the system, and I'd probably be the only one who bothered to learn decking rules. So I decided to make a decker and when thumbing through Matrix, decided to try my hand at an Otaku. I also have a mage (TNN Path Mage) and a gun adept made in case someone else was more interested in playing a decker.

Okay, so let's see if I get this straight. 1+1+1+8+8+8 = 27, the starting attributes I get. That means I have 2 bonus points floating around now. From the examples above, does that mean I can raise two of them by one or one of them by two? (I10 W8 C8 or I9 W9 C8?) Or am I still screwed out of my points because I've reached the cap? And if I can get those points, where would be the best place to stick them? (I10 = 15 points language and 50 points knowledge! Yay!)

One more question...do the Otaku roll Willpower or Body against BlackIC? Deckers have the option of adding something to their decks (can't remember the acronym, ICCM maybe?) that allows them to roll Will, and it seems logical to me that an Otaku would be much more likely to want to roll Will which is obviously going to be higher than their Body...

The Abstruse One
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Abstruse)
Okay, so let's see if I get this straight.  1+1+1+8+8+8 = 27, the starting attributes I get.  That means I have 2 bonus points floating around now.  From the examples above, does that mean I can raise two of them by one or one of them by two? (I10 W8 C8 or I9 W9 C8?)  Or am I still screwed out of my points because I've reached the cap?  And if I can get those points, where would be the best place to stick them?  (I10 = 15 points language and 50 points knowledge!  Yay!)

I think you can use the two bonus points--and *only* those two bonus points--to go over the cap, although the rules are a bit shaky in that regard. And I'd suggest going for either Int10 or Int9 Wil9; the later will boost your Masking another point, but the former is better on your Karma in the long run.

One more question...do the Otaku roll Willpower or Body against BlackIC?  Deckers have the option of adding something to their decks (can't remember the acronym, ICCM maybe?) that allows them to roll Will, and it seems logical to me that an Otaku would be much more likely to want to roll Will which is obviously going to be higher than their Body...

I'd say Body, which is why getting the Neurofilter Echo would be a very good idea as soon as possible.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Abstruse)

Except for pesky things like off-line storage and on-site runs. The first guard that even gives him an evil look and this guy is going to fall over dead. smile.gif
kevyn668
That's why there are Sams... wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
Preferably with an Elecronics B/R Activesoft that the Otaku wrote with his massive Computer(Programming) skill. smile.gif
Panzergeist
You can't invest more than 6 attribute points in an attribute, even if the modified limit is 8, aside from those 2 extra points you get.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Abstruse @ May 15 2004, 12:27 AM)
Okay, so let's see if I get this straight.  1+1+1+8+8+8 = 27, the starting attributes I get.  That means I have 2 bonus points floating around now.  From the examples above, does that mean I can raise two of them by one or one of them by two? (I10 W8 C8 or I9 W9 C8?)  Or am I still screwed out of my points because I've reached the cap?  And if I can get those points, where would be the best place to stick them?  (I10 = 15 points language and 50 points knowledge!  Yay!)

That is correct, Personally i'd go for a Will of 9 which would up your hardening by 1 to 6 (Cos of yout merit) and it will make your complex forms easier to learn, for the other point they would be no point in putting it in Cha because you can't get it to 10 (where it would effect your masking) so put it in Int. Also remember that if you have a good Negotiations skill it won't take that long to get enough money to get that Cerebral Booster.

One more question...do the Otaku roll Willpower or Body against BlackIC?  Deckers have the option of adding something to their decks (can't remember the acronym, ICCM maybe?) that allows them to roll Will, and it seems logical to me that an Otaku would be much more likely to want to roll Will which is obviously going to be higher than their Body...

The Abstruse One

It's Body, as mentioned. So your First Echo (to be safe) Should be neural Filter which will allow you to use you Willpower instead
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012