Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improved Relfexes and Suprathyroid
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mantis
This is for 4th edition. So, like the title implies, does Improved Reflexes adept power work with the Suprathyroid gland? The reason I ask is because the Improved Reflexes power says it isn't compatible with other Initiative (not Reaction) modifying tech or magic. However the Suprathyroid modifies the Reaction score, not the Initiative score. I know reaction affects initiative but spells like Increase Reflexes actually improves the Initiative score, not Reaction, showing these 2 values can be raised independently from one another. This would also mean an adept with Attribute Boost (Reaction) and Improved Reflexes couldn't use the two together, nor could he use Improved Attribute (Reaction) with Improved Reflexes.
I think the intention of keeping Initiative Enhancers from working with one another is stop someone from stacking the initiative pass portion rather than worrying about reaction boosting. After all, Move-by-wire works with Reaction Enhancers and allows you to easily stack up a very high reaction from a low base score.
So what is the consensus?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
We have always allowed it to work... Reaction is not Initiative. While Initiative may be derived from Reaction, it is Not Reaction. smile.gif
Mantis
Thanks. This was my feeling too but it never hurts to ask for a second opinion.
Sengir
QUOTE (Mantis @ Aug 18 2016, 06:02 AM) *
I think the intention of keeping Initiative Enhancers from working with one another is stop someone from stacking the initiative pass portion rather than worrying about reaction boosting.

Yep, same here
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 18 2016, 10:35 AM) *
We have always allowed it to work... Reaction is not Initiative. While Initiative may be derived from Reaction, it is Not Reaction. smile.gif

For what my word is worth around here, I agree.
Stahlseele
This PROBLEM is a holdover because of copy and paste from SR3 to SR4 and so on.
Under SR3, the system worked differently and thus there was no such problem at all.
Under SR3, the suprathyroid gland gave +1 QCK, STR, BOD, Reaction.
Reaction was an artificial attribute derived from Quickness and Willpower and reaction.
Initiative was a special attribute, that was not derived by anything.
It was race dependent and then magic spells, adept powers and certain implants.
Under SR3, only things that gave + ini dice did not stack. Everything that gave reaction always just stacked.
There was only one "exception" and that was boosted reflexes and synaptic accellerator.
The only way to get to +4 dice of Initiative at all under SR3 rules.
freudqo
Agreed, except I seem to remember you could take drugs for one more die.
Stahlseele
hngr . . yes, i keep forgetting about drugs <.<
drugs stack with everything else. period.
otherwise, in terms of initiative, especially with magic stuff, only the higest modifier counts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012