Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fruit Baskets and Apologies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MADness
So, the team in my game encounter a drug dealer and attempted to interrogate him. As it seemed to slip out of control, one of the members attempts to murdalize him. They manage to put him into overflow after he calls out his team's safeword.

The opposition manage to get away with their injured team mate.

My players, in an effort to establish goodwill and polite proffesionalism (the face's words), want to send the opposition a fruit basket. I do not know how to handle this. Help please.
Iduno
Receiving a package at their home might be seen by the dealer as a threat.

If it was an opposing runner, I'd suggest having their fixer put out feelers for the opposition's fixer. Maybe some other neutral third party could make the delivery in the area the dealer normally works?
MADness
I reread and realized that's didnt explains clearly as I meant. The drug dealer was the opposition's Face. My players didn't know there was another team opperating there. Sending it to their fixer or through a mutual (chain of mutual) contact is a great solution thank you.

It continually surprises me, the challenges one race's when none of your players are familiar with cyberpunk, let alone Shadowrun. One started yelling at me that the spell Elemental Wall didn't make sense, because it made a 10m tall wall.
ShadowDragon8685
I am reminded of the pilot episode of Firefly.

"Mal, she shot you."
"That was a perfectly legitimate conflict of interest; I got no grudge!"
binarywraith
For runners, occasionally shooting each other is part of the cost of doing business. So long as it isn't your usual (Vindictive, Impulsive) Shadowrun PC, they'll get over it if it's just business.
Blade
Telling the barman of their favorite bar (or of a bar where they're likely to hang out) to offer them a free round on their behalf could be a nice gesture.
Pendaric
Great idea Blade. Just don't leave an open tab.
ShadowDragon8685
I... Would not do that.

Sure, they might get the message that you're extending a peace offering.
Or they might get the wrong message that you're hunting them down and letting them know that you can find them, maybe to settle the matter of the shooting a fragger once and for all.

If you really want to do this, go through a Fixer, or a trusted Face. Hell, make a post on the Shadowlands like it was Craigslist:
Where: <Anonymized enough that they'll get it, other people probably won't>.
Who: <Their general description> down the barrel of my <gun>.
What: Sorry about shooting at you. We were on the job, you were on the job; we were just quicker on the draw. Nobody got seriously hurt that we saw; it wasn't personal, so, we cool?

But primarily, I'd say go through a trusted Fixer to find their Fixer, and have your Fixer communicate to their Fixer that you want it communicated to them that it was just business, not malice, and you'd like to send your apologies.
Medicineman
however You do it, don't do it like Gabriel Iglesias

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EUzp9ZSGcs

smile.gif

Hough
Medicineman
MortVent
Sometimes the best response is to just leave it be.

No matter what you do it could be constituted wrong, especially depending on your personal skill sets and reputation.
Sendaz
QUOTE (MADness @ Sep 13 2016, 11:42 AM) *
So, the team in my game encounter a drug dealer and attempted to interrogate him. As it seemed to slip out of control, one of the members attempts to murdalize him. They manage to put him into overflow after he calls out his team's safeword.

The opposition manage to get away with their injured team mate.

My players, in an effort to establish goodwill and polite proffesionalism (the face's words), want to send the opposition a fruit basket. I do not know how to handle this. Help please.

I guess my first question would be where was the 'professionalism' when one of your crew lost their head and tried to off the dealer?

You don't mention how the team mate came to that point, were they roleplaying a billy badass, was there a NQ for a touch of temper, etc...
in any case, they should also have to go with the consequence of their actions.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Sep 13 2016, 04:44 PM) *
I am reminded of the pilot episode of Firefly.

"Mal, she shot you."
"That was a perfectly legitimate conflict of interest; I got no grudge!"

QUOTE (binarywraith @ Sep 14 2016, 06:21 AM) *
For runners, occasionally shooting each other is part of the cost of doing business. So long as it isn't your usual (Vindictive, Impulsive) Shadowrun PC, they'll get over it if it's just business.
SD and BW raise a good point that risk of life and limb is part of the job and for the most part you have to take it in stride.
But that also usually means in a live firefight where you don't have the luxury to ask mother may I while some other fragger is trying to do unto you.

But in this case, you had the dealer at your mercy and for whatever reason chose not to use drugs/magic/etc to draw out the desired information, so you had to rough him up a bit, however things went too far.

From the other team's point of view in this sort of case, a fruitbasket or a drink is kind of a slap in the face. Basically it says that the mistreatment of their guy is only valued at that of a shot of booze or some citrus.

It would be like if the parents of that female guard at abu ghraib who made the prisoners strip naked and be shame photographed sent the former prisoners and their families a nice fruit basket by way of apology.
Nobody was killed and if they did get a bit roughed and humiliated it was nothing big right? so yay- fruit basket? sarcastic.gif

Your guy fucked up and should take the hit in Rep and Notoriety accordingly, which won't be a huge hit anyway, but is still noted. Let the team get some guff about it, maybe the next fixer makes a point of saying no rough housing or maybe they find they get offered the rougher jobs because the less savoury Johnsons heard that's their thing.
To do otherwise you undermine the actions that were taken for whatever reason and thus their consequences.

They may even pick up a low value Enemy out of this as the dealer may want payback someday if circumstances allow. He may not want your guy dead, but just wants his knees bent the wrong way...

Can they make amends with the other team? Possibly, but it should involve more than a free shot or some eats in a wicker basket and should take time and effort to balance the books.

And whether they resolve things or it becomes an ongoing feud, it could be some rewarding RP along the way.
ShadowDragon8685
I think the guy they tried to kill wasn't actually part of the other team, just their client.

So it's less "Hey, your hurt is worth drek, but we still feel kind of bad about it," and more "Hey, we got no grudge against you, we were pissed at your client and you got caught in the crossfire. We cool?"

I may be wrong.
MADness
The opposition's Face was posing as a drug dealer (freelance, in gang turf). The player/character is a former boxer who has made extra money in illegal street matches. After the game started, the character joined the gang whose turf the face/dealer was on. The player has consistently role played his character as an on edge hot head. I agree with most of the sentiments presented here.

As a side note, the character who started the conflict has had normal people running from him on the street. This isn't the first time he has done something like this.
Sengir
QUOTE (Blade @ Sep 14 2016, 01:41 PM) *
Telling the barman of their favorite bar (or of a bar where they're likely to hang out) to offer them a free round on their behalf could be a nice gesture.

"Hey, we roughed up one of your team, then we traced you back to one of your preferred hangouts, now drink this and don't worry, it's totally not spiked or something..."
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sengir @ Sep 24 2016, 12:45 PM) *
"Hey, we roughed up one of your team, then we traced you back to one of your preferred hangouts, now drink this and don't worry, it's totally not spiked or something..."

Sounds like a Shadowrunner Blind Date nyahnyah.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Sep 24 2016, 09:27 PM) *
Sounds like a Shadowrunner Blind Date nyahnyah.gif

If it's supposed to be a blind date but your date shows up with detailed knowledge of your "occupation", I'd be a bit suspicious biggrin.gif
Sardos
I find the whole situation amusing.
WhiskeyJohnny
As far as the sending a fruit basket (or similar) goes, I agree with the above - let it be handled, or at least brokered, between fixers. This sort of interface is what they're there for, and it seems the best way to go about this without it coming off all "We know who you are, where you hang out, and could frag you if it mattered to us."

But my question is, in a future where everything is soy and mycoprotein and krill, how much would an actual, no shit fruit basket be worth? I imagine that there's supplements and stuff to stave off scurvy and malnutrition and so on, so is this like Case's orbital steak in Neuromancer, an unimaginable luxury for a significant portion of the population? Or are actual fruits and veggies still fairly easily procured?
Blade
Depends on who wrote the part about food in the book you're reading.
Some books will tell you that anything that isn't soy or krill is expensive and that some stuff like cocoa have even disappeared (yep, no real chocolate in Shadowrun, now that's a dystopic setting!), other books will mention the large fields of organic fruits and vegetables growing in Snohomish.
ShadowDragon8685
I'd expect an actual fruit basket would probably command a fairly high price, but not a ridiculous price. 250 nuyen.gif or so seems about right for a relatively high-end but ordinary fruit basket, replete with chocolates and cheeses.

So, the price of a new Ares Predator IV or so.
MADness
I told them that cash, passed through fixers or a contact chain would be best. Possibly with the wording "To help cover medical expenses." None of my players are familiar with Shadowrun, or cyberpunk really. Our face, the player in question, also does things I consider odd. A teammates contact ask them to do a job, and the face tries to pimp one of the other members to coerce a better deal. He also went above and beyond with a Secretary. He flirted with her for information, then proceeded to seduce her away from her boyfriend in order to have a plausible reason to go back to that town for the two more weeks the job will take. He is hard to get a read on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012