Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Out an Aspiring Podcaster?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shadowrunner13
Damn, it's been a while since I've posted something...

I'm hoping that there are those within the good ol' Dumpshock community that might spare a few minutes to review my first attempt at a podcast. I decided to throw my hat in the ring when I failed to find any kind of podcast about GMing the game and designing one's own material... so here's my first tentative foot forward.

The thing runs for about half an hour and if anyone has any honest feedback on either content or presentation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Data Haven Episode 001 - Inspiration

Thanks to everyone for even just taking a look. smile.gif

SR13
Backgammon
Oh wow SR13... going back in the day, man.

I sampled your stuff - some comments:

- Good audio quality
- This might be very personal on my part, but I'd put more 'energy' in your voice. While on one hand you have a very pleasant, relaxing voice, that's not a quality that works in your favor for a podcast like this. I want to keep paying attention and keep listening, and to do that I need a vocal pace and tone that says "hey! listen to me!".
- One aspect is that while I think everyone will be interested in your subject matter, I'd put it this way - you're not a celebrity. So I wouldn't make it about how "this is how *I* do things", because that implies there listeners have an existing reason to want to drink from your fountain of knowledge. I'd phrase it more generically "tips to run Shadowrun", as opposed to "how I run Shadowrun". Don't know if you see the subtle difference there. Like, you say "People ask me how...". Well, *I* didn't ask you that. You need to convince me you have something useful to say before you TELL me you have to say.. get what I mean?
- I'd suggest a bit more structure. Present an "agenda": what exactly are you going to talk about? For example: "First we're going to talk about choosing a setting, then we're going to talk about using premade modules or not, then...". A good agenda transforms a rambling into well, not a rambling.
- Conversations tend to me more interesting that monologues. Maybe consider having guests, or a co-host, to your podcast?

Otherwise, I think you do have an interesting subject matter and you definitely have good ideas and good tips. Think about takeaways: what will your listener be able to do tomorrow he wasn't before? Given the subject matter, don't be afraid to list references people can use to do what you suggest. For example, you talked about using the news to fuel runs. What sites do you use for news that people can also use? Etc.

Nice to see you again man
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012