Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polycarb Knife
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kevyn668
Any ideas on how much a knife would cost if were made of ceramics or a polycarb? Or for that matter, swords?
D.Generate
Gerber used to make a ceramic knife that I used to get through the metal detectors at work. It was like 200 bucks or some thing like that. There are also many other non metallic objects which are just as deadly as knives. I don't know where I saw it but it was listed in some catalog as a "CIA Letter opener" But basically it was a razor sharp double sided plastic combat knive. Hope this helps some, or not at all either way I tried my best in my half awake state.
kevyn668
QUOTE (D.Generate)
Gerber used to make a ceramic knife that I used to get through the metal detectors at work. It was like 200 bucks or some thing like that. There are also many other non metallic objects which are just as deadly as knives. I don't know where I saw it but it was listed in some catalog as a "CIA Letter opener" But basically it was a razor sharp double sided plastic combat knive. Hope this helps some, or not at all either way I tried my best in my half awake state.

Yep, I'm familliar with both. Do you think RL prices would do? If they already exist, then you wouldn't have to have it custom made, right? Its not like its space platform grown crystal.
A Clockwork Lime
Just apply the Ceramic Components firearm creation costs to it. In a nutshell it'll set you back 100-nuyen per level and lowers the weight by -0.10kg per level. Level 1 increases Concealability by +2 vs. MAD scanners, level 2 increases it by +4, and level 3 makes it completely invisible.
kevyn668
Thanks, ACL. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

**scurries off to find his CC**
Fresno Bob
I had a fiberglass knife that was sharp as hell, and passed through metal detectors easily. Too bad it broke.
D.Generate
Glad I was somewhat useful fora change on here. Not really any good on rules questions since my game is been so housruled its not even close to the original game any more. But yeah ACL's suggestion would work in my game, I'd allow it.
Nikoli
Check Brigade quartermaster. They sell the CIA letter opener and a lapel knife, both are poly-carbonate, but I think the the manufacturer had to add someting so they would show on weapon scanners. somethign about never trying to take this on an airplane.
Kagetenshi
I've got a knife like this. Throwing knife, so it's closer to a stiletto than a knife, but I'm pretty sure it'll slip through metal detectors without a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a detector to test it, and I'd prefer not to take it on a "live test". That could be bad.

~J
Nikoli
That would be very bad.
Like several days in jail bad.
Seven Deadly SINs
Aren't Couger Fine blades ceramic?
lspahn72
QUOTE (Nikoli)
That would be very bad.

O my god...I just went through airport sec at BWI in washington...

I was like having an enema!!!Socks, shoes, belt, untuck shirt, turn sleaves of jacket inside out, the works.. ..I wouldnt even try it now adays....I have to wonder after 9.11 how availible some of those ceramic/plastic weapons are concidering the concerns at airports...

Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (lspahn72 @ May 17 2004, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ May 17 2004, 01:20 PM)
That would be very bad.

I was like having an enema!!!Socks, shoes, belt, untuck shirt, turn sleaves of jacket inside out, the works.. ..I wouldnt even try it now adays....I have to wonder after 9.11 how availible some of those ceramic/plastic weapons are concidering the concerns at airports...

Just google ceramic knives and you will find plenty of places to buy them. Security today is just as lax as it was before 9/11 stop kidding your selves. Remember all the cases after 9/11 of people getting knives on planes, then turning them in after they remembered they had them only to be detainted. Besides they arn't going to stop selling knives because someone used them to do something bad. Especially knives, hell they have been trying for years with guns.

Try this one out http://www.ebladestore.com/cgi-bin/EBSstor...atalogno=UC-732
Zazen
QUOTE (lspahn72)

Last time I went to Florida I was randomly chosen to be searched three times. I got my checked luggage rifled through, they did the whole shoe thing at the metal detectors, and I got my carry-on luggage checked right before boarding the plane.

The checks didn't seem very thorough. They never found my weed and I hadn't even bothered to hide it in anything better than a rusty old Altoids tin. Hell, you could even smell it a little.
Fresno Bob
Man, seems like everyone keeps their pot in an altoids container...
Kagetenshi
I keep my pot in the cabinet next to the stove.

~J
Fresno Bob
Clever lad.
Luke Hardison
QUOTE (Seven Deadly SINs)
Aren't Couger Fine blades ceramic?

I don't see anything in the description that seems to suggest that, Seven.

Cougar Fineblade Knife
Using state-of-the-art molecular bonding and edging technology, this double edged knife is a favorite of mercenaries everywhere.  Available in both short- and long-bladed versions, the long knife inflicts greater damage but is harder to conceal.  The short-bladed version can give the attacker the advantage of surprise.

CC, p. 7

Actually, the molecular bonding and edging stuff makes me think they're indicating metal if anything. But I allow melee weapons to be ceramic at 3x the cost and +3 avail IMG. That or adaptation of the CC weapon design ceramics rules is what I've always gone by.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
QUOTE (lspahn72 @ May 17 2004, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Nikoli @ May 17 2004, 01:20 PM)
That would be very bad.

Just google ceramic knives and you will find plenty of places to buy them. Security today is just as lax as it was before 9/11 stop kidding your selves. Remember all the cases after 9/11 of people getting knives on planes, then turning them in after they remembered they had them only to be detainted. Besides they arn't going to stop selling knives because someone used them to do something bad. Especially knives, hell they have been trying for years with guns.

Try this one out http://www.ebladestore.com/cgi-bin/EBSstor...atalogno=UC-732

Heh. In the first link the manufacturer is the same as my cell phone.
Zazen
QUOTE (Voorhees)

After I started keeping mine in one, it somehow caught on with my friends.

One of them even threw all of the mints away just so he could keep the tin (two fifty for a cheap tin box, slick move sarcastic.gif). Of course, he stopped doing that so he could switch to a cool felt bag that he found, and then to some other fancy container that could incorporate a smoking device that's disguised as a cigarette, and then on to something else, etc. I really think that some people only smoke pot so they can play with its associated toys and trinkets wink.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Zazen @ May 17 2004, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 17 2004, 08:25 PM)

One of them even threw all of the mints away just so he could keep the tin (two fifty for a cheap tin box, slick move sarcastic.gif). Of course, he stopped doing that so he could switch to a cool felt bag that he found, and then to some other fancy container that could incorporate a smoking device that's disguised as a cigarette, and then on to something else, etc. I really think that some people only smoke pot so they can play with its associated toys and trinkets wink.gif

Man, back in my day we used plastic bags...occasionally w/ them new fangled "ZipLock" doo-hicky.

whipper snappers. nyahnyah.gif
Centurion
Well back in MY day we had to snort greasy things that were crawling out of the primordial ooze. You damn kids, what with your polycellular organisms, have it so easy.
Kagetenshi
Back in my day we had to wait for our stuff to cool down enough to become gaseous before taking it.

Whippersnapper.

~J
CircuitBoyBlue
It's good to see the term "whipper snappers" back in use. Now if only we could get the youth talking about something other than smoking pot and sneaking knives onto airplanes...
Centurion
HAH. Back in MINE we all sat around as a blob of matter the size of a pinhead waiting for stuff to happen. I don't think you'd stand the pressure, li'l 'un.

Curcuit: Hey, what's more rougishly lovable than getting high and implementing the means to cause the deaths of tens of thousands?
lspahn72
QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Zazen @ May 17 2004, 11:26 PM)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ May 17 2004, 08:25 PM)

Man, back in my day we used plastic bags...occasionally w/ them new fangled "ZipLock" doo-hicky.

whipper snappers. nyahnyah.gif

OK so i have to know....Judging by the Altoids response....Is it me or are there alot of "smokers" in the game community???

Not that there is anything wrong with that...... cool.gif
Moon-Hawk
"in the game community"? You say that as if there aren't a lot in every other community as well. cool.gif
Kagetenshi
My response, as may or may not have been immediately clear, was facetious.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012