Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Memes in Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zednark
Given that the Matrix exists, what sort of memes have arisen as a result? Are image macros still a thing? Copypastas? Did Rickrolls make a sudden comeback in '72, only to disappear three months later? I demand answers!
Iduno
If I remember correctly, Horizon has spent a lot of time and effort creating memes that turn out to be viral marketing. If they have had any success (and they are a triple-A corp for a reason, so probably) other companies have likely tried as well.

So there are probably a lot of memes that are corporate propaganda. People get tired of that quickly, which would probably reduce the amount of time anything lasts, and lead to new memes making fun of the corporate attempts. I'd imagine people consider it a pretty good joke to post stuff like corporate mascots wearing mustaches spewing corporate propaganda while saying they aren't (there was a meme of Chris Hansen wearing a mustache you could use to get ideas).
Draco18s
QUOTE (Iduno @ Nov 30 2016, 11:54 AM) *
So there are probably a lot of memes that are corporate propaganda.

Which is pretty much the entire playbook for "How to Kill a Meme."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrxfiimIh_s
Raiderj
I have a made up a fiction location in the Matrix that my character Vexboy likes to visit thats based on 4chan. If you wantmemes I can give you a few he uses.
Zednark
QUOTE (Raiderj @ Dec 4 2016, 08:31 PM) *
I have a made up a fiction location in the Matrix that my character Vexboy likes to visit thats based on 4chan. If you wantmemes I can give you a few he uses.

Sure, I'm game.
Raiderj
QUOTE (Zednark @ Dec 5 2016, 02:46 AM) *
Sure, I'm game.

I uh... This is awkward. I sort of forgot I can't draw... You could use these though.

"Aztechnology did it!"
Used when someone is late or missing for a meeting on the matrix. Entered use when a Shadowrunner aptly named "BlameGame" on Noodlepost(the 4chan parody) and one of the founders of Noodlepost did a live stream after a shadowrun on an Azzie lab. He,often did those. The azzies found,him midstream and knowing that people were watching SURGICALLY REMOVED HIS HEART. To mourn him people made this saying to remember him by.
"Becoming a meme is the way he would have wanted to go."

"The Dragons did it!"
Used when talking about some random misshap that happens. Stems from,the belief that Dragons have far seeing vision and the abillity to manipulate events in their favor.

"Richter's Law"
Supposed "Orc" user "Richter" (well that photo didnt look doctored admittingly.) claimed bullshit on a claim that J.R.R Tolkien was prejiduced against Goblinoids. His arguement which became a Law Meme is as following:
"Unless you have evidence that proves a 5th World Author or anything knew that the Goblinization was going to happen you can't expect them to know the impact their work,was gonna have. Besides fuck all of you drekheads. Gandalf is BadASS."
The Addenment as added by a later user a year later(when it was still,fun to make fun of Goblinoids mind you.)
"Yeah but what about Horizon-Blizzard who retconned the Warcraft series? They KNEW about us when they did it. Therefore Richter's Law cannot apply.'
Coincedently this spawned a new meme.
A "Blizzard Burndown" occurs when a show or franchise decided to do something so stupid it destroys it forever.
Compare to a
"Disney Destruction"
Where Horizon gives Disney the reins to do anything with one of their gained franchises and they fuck it up. (See the new Star wars movies that Horizon is STILL putting out. Plus Lucas sold it,to them for the sake of spending the money on "education"...bastard. They retconned like 80% of the canon too!)
Which leads to
"Disney is evil"
Disney is the Aztechnolgy of fiction.

They don't say that lightly. John Lassiter was assassinated shortly after they bought by Horizon. Kingdom Hearts was dropped by Square Enix who turned their games (yeah that means Final Fantasy) into Public Domain FOREVER to prevent a Japanese Mega (or Disney) from fucking them up. (They died too... Isn't that funny)
Don't even get me stated on the legal precautions Gene Roddenberry's estate has taken to make sure that Star Trek remains,untouched forever. (There is a considerable bounty for any laywer who can crack their intellecual property contract.) Ever wonder why there aren't any new continuations of games like Pokemon and anime like Gundam in the 6th world? Its because the creators were afraid of the megas and torched their franchises and ran. Quite a few all over the world did but the worst thing that can happen,to a franchise is for Disney to get it. The 5th worlders had a signifcant advantage and,saved their work. All but the most selling outeist ones who volentarily sold their work (Harry Potter, Star Wars, Blizzard games, Nintendo...(well Mario is,still going,strong actually but still...) to a mega. Entertainment Megas may want your nuyen but they still put effort. (Most of the time.) But even Horizon directors and writers hate (and,are afraid) of Disney getting their hands on their work. Between the "family friendly" character transformations, making of some of the shittiest sitcoms ever(you know you have a flop when Indoctrenated Horizon Wageslaves think what their kids are watching is shit), and the gleeful work they do Uwe Bolling their acquired properties(note: Gleeful. They feed off tears of the fandoms.) they are universally evil. Watch the pirated retro movies and have nothing to do with them. (Ps don't get me started on what they do to their child stars.)

Hope you can use these. Little backstory with each one. And yes I think Disney is evil.
Sengir
QUOTE (Iduno @ Nov 30 2016, 04:54 PM) *
So there are probably a lot of memes that are corporate propaganda. People get tired of that quickly, which would probably reduce the amount of time anything lasts, and lead to new memes making fun of the corporate attempts.

Given that "and you are lnyching negroes" is as popular today as it was 50 years ago, I'd say some classics just never go out of style...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012