Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 101 Cheap Runner Tricks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zednark
1. Fill a paint grenade with Ultra Glide and watch the slapstick.
DrZaius
2. Attach a Flask-Pak to either shoulder of your armor jacket to help your razorboy/girl. Speed metal optional.
DrZaius
3. Purchase a stylish desk or armoire at a thrift shop. Fill with items of your choosing. Provides a legitimate excuse to have a pair of trolls take the service elevator up to the executive suite.
MortVent
4 - add a microphone sensor to your explosives with a simple pattern recognition, whistle you own tune with massive bass accompaniment
DrZaius
5. A simsense net allows you to sell your run experience for profit - both from the run itself, and the residuals you acquire from your newfound fame. Be sure to cause enough trouble to make it interesting - the satisfaction of a job quietly well done makes less 'yen than a run with your heart rate at 180 while you outrun the fuzz.
Draco18s
6. Attach a speaker to your grenades, playing a short sound clip, "This is a five second grenade, 5, 4, 3--" BOOM!
Renard
Get two paint grenades and fill each with one component of a two-component superglue. Evil laugh upon usage optional.
ShadowDragon8685
Learn about other Runners with Distinctive Style, ape their Distinctive Style during your runs. Any one who investigates your shit will be misled onto another runner team entirely. Or possible four-five members of entirely different teams.
Beta
Silence spell + mono-filament chainsaw – there isn’t as much security on doors that you create yourself.
Zednark
Carry a good SIN checker and scan rival runners and gangs.
Sengir
11. (I think) Throw a splash grenade full of synthesized DNA (see the rules for fooling DNA scanners) into a room, followed by a splash grenade filled with C-Squared. If they find a DNA trace, it might just have come from the first grenade. Any DNA still found might be the result of the first grenade, any DNA not found the result of the second, the room yields exactly zero information.

12. Injection dart with K-10. Instant distraction.
Zednark
13. Everyone on the team should take a rarely spoken language as a knowledge skill. Esperanto, Welsh, Ithkuil, Tsolyani, Klingon, it doesn't matter, as long as everyone takes the same one. Use it for confidential party discussion. Some languages don't even have any fluent speakers IRL, so the more obscure the better. I'd go with Ithkuil, because you can communicate faster with it. (Tram-mļöi hhâsmařpţuktôx can be translated as "On the contrary, I think it may turn out that this rugged mountain range trails off at some point." According to Wikipedia, anyway.)

Koekepan
14. Anything corps can do, runners can do better. For example, to track a supply chain, add RFID (or smarter tech that calls back in regularly).

15. If you want to go off-grid to break a tail, consider a hiking vacation in the Cascades with a few pack llamas.
psychophipps
Your running equipment list should always include a dufflebag full of dufflebags.

Always have multiple bail-out bags with contacts and one in a storage locker that nobody knows about, paid annually with an unregistered cred stick.

Always use the least amount of necessary firepower to slow police/corpsec response times. They respond much faster and with heavier assets to Full Retard milspec than to a few yahoos cranking off a few rounds now and again.

Kovu Muphasa
19. Just bring along a copy of 'Shadowrunning for Dummies' or "An Idiot's Guide for Runners'. You never know how useful they can be, best as hard copies.
KarmaInferno
Litter your vehicles and safehouses with false DNA and other biometric traces, as well as gear you wouldn't normally use, to throw off investigations. Tacticool weapons and other stuff you might see amatuers use. Scraps of stuff with the addresses of unrelated locations like a local gang hangout that has nothing to do with you. Phone and Matrix numbers for local organized crime and innocuous civilian sites. Increasing the signal to noise ratio for anyone trying to track you down can make the difference between getting boxed in by the opposition and them crashing your location only to find you're long gone.

-k
MortVent
When working with a new team, first don't use your normal handle. Take each of the new people into confidence, feed them false information (aka fake past handles) that is unique to them.

that way when or if the information suddenly comes up on radar with people asking/looking into that you know who can't keep covenant... and can take appropriate actions
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 12 2016, 04:44 PM) *
Litter your vehicles and safehouses with false DNA and other biometric traces, as well as gear you wouldn't normally use, to throw off investigations. Tacticool weapons and other stuff you might see amatuers use. Scraps of stuff with the addresses of unrelated locations like a local gang hangout that has nothing to do with you. Phone and Matrix numbers for local organized crime and innocuous civilian sites. Increasing the signal to noise ratio for anyone trying to track you down can make the difference between getting boxed in by the opposition and them crashing your location only to find you're long gone.

But... But I like using tacticool weapons! You make me sad, KI. frown.gif

But yeah, ramping up the signal-to-noise ratio is a great plan, especially if you do so in a way that's going to set people you don't actually like against one another.
MortVent
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Dec 15 2016, 08:27 AM) *
But... But I like using tacticool weapons! You make me sad, KI. frown.gif

But yeah, ramping up the signal-to-noise ratio is a great plan, especially if you do so in a way that's going to set people you don't actually like against one another.

Just make sure the methods you use don't become a signature instead... doing it sometimes as needed, fine. Always doing it is as bad as leaving a calling card
Rad
22. Bring a dump truck to a gun fight.

What? A dump truck's cheap if you steal it. nyahnyah.gif
Sn00py
Keep cheap / stolen commlinks on hand, set to dial 911 and give the operator pre-recorded panic messages about fires, crimes etc. Leave them scattered around the edge of the jurisdiction you're going to be working in, and flood the switchboard with emergency calls to keep the cops busy elsewhere.
(TL/DR: Firefly, Crybaby).
Kovu Muphasa
QUOTE (Rad @ Dec 17 2016, 04:27 PM) *

And they make great giant mobile Claymores if done up right!...oh wait that was a trash truck...
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Rad @ Dec 17 2016, 12:27 PM) *

...heh we did that in one of the missions campaigns where we had to break into a reasonably well guarded place where the person we were supposed to extract was being held prisoner. The truck even had a snowplough blade which made crashing the gate all that much easier.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (MortVent @ Nov 18 2016, 06:51 PM) *
4 - add a microphone sensor to your explosives with a simple pattern recognition, whistle you own tune with massive bass accompaniment

...my character Leela needs to try that.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 29 2016, 01:55 AM) *
...my character Leela needs to try that.

I'd recommend the 1812 Overture, or maybe some Hendrix.

Fun times? By which I mean terrible evil times? As in "paid-for terrorism" times? (Pay optional, depending upon campaign.)

Make up a great many of these evil devices, manufacture them as wide-dispersal shrapnel bombs, set them to trigger on a wide variety of popular music tunes, seal them airtight so chem-sniffers and shit can't pick them up, then leave them in public places.

Optional: Email the specifications to various news outlets and a vague insinuation that they've been sighted in a metropolitan area. Great way to ensure the streets have waaay fewer civilian traffic and a ton more cops! If, for some reason, you want an area to be an environment rich in armed combatants and relatively poor in unarmed collateral damage.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Dec 29 2016, 01:33 AM) *
...heh we did that in one of the missions campaigns where we had to break into a reasonably well guarded place where the person we were supposed to extract was being held prisoner. The truck even had a snowplough blade which made crashing the gate all that much easier.

Viktor is to be having a garbage truck in Missions. With front loading lifter. Is funny, how many security guards not want to be looking too close. Is maybe because of smell? Or maybe when Viktor stands too close with filthy orange jumpsuit on?

-v
Flaser
Professional courtesy to your security counterparts can go a long way when the drek hits the fan. He's doing his job, you're doing yours... no reason to be a dick about it. One time, had an HTR team let us go: Imagine a Vindicator's drive-motor whirring in your face while the rent-a-cop goes, "if we would kindly leave the mark behind" and I reply "ooh.... yes sir, we'd would be very much obliged to do so" as we drop the extraction target and get out of dodge. The run was a bust, but we got away scot-free. Turns out that pimply faced youth by the front desk we did not slot, even though he was taking potshots at our medic, was the captain's nephew.
Chance359
"Little Black Book

A small paper book filled with about 150 false leads. The leads are generally addresses, phone numbers, etc. for people who have done me wrong or otherwise made it apparent that they need a good butt whipping. When a cop or sec guard nabs me they generally think they've hit the criminal jackpot when they start leafing through the book. I even write some stuff in a bullshit code and have been able to buy my freedom by "translating" this code for authorities. And by the time they discover that their jackpot is jack-shit, I'm long gone."

Blackjack is your friend
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Chance359 @ Feb 10 2017, 09:29 PM) *
"Little Black Book

A small paper book filled with about 150 false leads. The leads are generally addresses, phone numbers, etc. for people who have done me wrong or otherwise made it apparent that they need a good butt whipping. When a cop or sec guard nabs me they generally think they've hit the criminal jackpot when they start leafing through the book. I even write some stuff in a bullshit code and have been able to buy my freedom by "translating" this code for authorities. And by the time they discover that their jackpot is jack-shit, I'm long gone."

Blackjack is your friend

Don't use that directly; It's too easily traced back to you.

Instead, trade Little Black Books with some fragger on the other side of the city/country/world. Leave Lone Star in Seattle chasing down your "friends" in Hong Kong, and have Knight Errant in Hong Kong chasing down people you have beef with when your friend/chummer/random acquaintance in Hong Kong needs to buy his way out of dodge/leave some red herrings somewhere.
binarywraith
Buy a crate of used Lone Star surplus Colt Manhunters and have them shrink wrapped as-is without ever personally touching them.

Use these exclusively, dropping them in gang territory across town any time you actually have to shoot someone.

Also, remember that at the end of the day, there is nothing that causes a bigger panic in an upscale mall than smoke grenades.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012