Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you run agents in a vehicle?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mantis
Like it says on the box, can you run an agent in a vehicle node? Specifically, could you load one to be on the look out for hackers and deal with them? This is for SR4.
bannockburn
I don't see why not. Vehicles have the same matrix attributes as commlinks and I've allowed ICE to run on them, so why not agents as well, since they're not functionally different.
You might want to invest in some matrix attribute upgrades, though.
Modular Man
Sure, why not?

You will have to watch out for the processor limit of the vehicle node. Running a pilot, autosofts plus an agent and its programs is quite a load. Other than that, it's perfectly doable.
You could even use the commlink/electronics mod "Optimization" on the vehicle node.

I'm planning on doing so in the close future. While not driving, (upgraded) vehicles don't have to run many autosofts. Run an Agent and its programs instead! Personal Botnet wink.gif
SpellBinder
I had plans for a character that, as a bot-net, used his motorcycle, drones, and even upgraded smartguns for agents. They all have the same stats as commlinks, so all can run agents and matrix programs just the same.

Might want to have the Ergonomic, Crashguard, and Optimization options loaded up on what all matrix programs you can, and have each vehicle/drone/smartgun/etc. Optimized for whatever running program you feel is most important to run (Unwired, pages 114-115 & 198).
Mantis
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Dec 13 2016, 12:51 PM) *
Might want to have the Ergonomic, Crashguard, and Optimization options loaded up on what all matrix programs you can, and have each vehicle/drone/smartgun/etc. Optimized for whatever running program you feel is most important to run (Unwired, pages 114-115 & 198).

Yeah got that covered already. Mandatory really, since the matrix stats for most drones aren't as good as the agent being used.

With an upgraded pilot, would another option be to just load it with the matrix programs needed to defend the node?

The reason I asked about this is because a pilot program is basically an agent already and is also sort of the OS. The System value for a drone or vehicle is derived from the pilot value. Just seemed odd to be able to run an agent on what is effectively another agent. Of course with some of the other matrix inconsistencies I've run into I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.
bannockburn
QUOTE (Mantis @ Dec 14 2016, 12:02 AM) *
[...] a pilot program is basically an agent already [...]

Not exactly, but the portion about the OS is true. Pilots are "similar to an agent's Pilot program" (p. 245, Core Rulebook), but they are not similar to agents.
However, to answer your question:
Of course you can just load and run programs on the node. You don't need an agent to do this. Agents just have limited autonomy and can travel to other nodes. Although I am not 100% sure about this, it's how I've always understood it. Maybe someone else can either confirm or deny.

Interestingly, you've highlighted an error that I've made for a long time (possibly because Chummer doesn't reflect it):
Since Pilot rating = System rating, it isn't necessary to upgrade System if you upgrade Pilot. I've always upgraded System separately from Pilot. Yay for saved money.
Modular Man
Thank you. I just remembered that as well. Real cost-saver there. I also like to use identical cars/drones and pirated pilots.

Whether or not a pilot can also function as an agent (i.e. moving about the matrix, hack stuff) has never been fully clarified, I think. It depends on the GM.
Mine blocked me there, sadly. Others may vary.
KCKitsune
I've got a question, if the GM is having a problem with the vehicle running an Agent, then get a commlink, install it in the car, and then run the Agent on the 'Link. I know it's kinda expensive, but wouldn't that work?
Mantis
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 14 2016, 08:12 AM) *
I've got a question, if the GM is having a problem with the vehicle running an Agent, then get a commlink, install it in the car, and then run the Agent on the 'Link. I know it's kinda expensive, but wouldn't that work?

The GM doesn't have a problem with it. We just wanted to make sure it was a valid tactic before going ahead. Slaving the vehicle to a built in commlink would work too but like you say, it would get expensive.

Bannockburn, I'd noticed that Chummer doesn't reflect that actual rule so I fixed Chummer. I'd pass it along but we use a highly modified version of Chummer to suit our house rules so it wouldn't be of much use to others. If you (or any of your players) are comfortable with coding you could change it yourself. It was a matter of changing a few tags in the code and recompiling. You'd need the source code of course but as far as I know it is still available.
bannockburn
I'll just take the lazy way out and add a free upgrade whenever I upgrade Pilot, but thank you for the suggestion. smile.gif
I've hacked my own Chummer before, but right now I'm coding so much at work that I don't feel the need to do it in my free time as well.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Mantis @ Dec 14 2016, 12:23 PM) *
The GM doesn't have a problem with it. We just wanted to make sure it was a valid tactic before going ahead. Slaving the vehicle to a built in commlink would work too but like you say, it would get expensive.

Maybe you could "cook" your own chips. That way you save on the expenses.

Or you could loot commlinks, make a cluster, and run the Agent on the cluster. Advantage is that a cluster can run more programs.
Mantis
Our hacker is already writing most of our software. I don't think he wants to start building commlink chips too. Suppose we could put a drone on the task but really, so long as it's fine to run an agent on a drone or vehicle, that should be good enough for our needs. Basically we want some way to defend gear not currently slaved to the hacker or another team mate with a good commlink. We'd gladly steal someone else's drone if it was left undefended and we don't want our own dirty tricks turned against us.
ShadowDragon8685
I have, in the past, installed commlinks into vehicles to replace their built-in system attributes.

It's a great way to reuse commlinks you siezed from NPCs - too low-end to be worth your team's hackers keeping, possibly too low-end to be worth giving to your other teammates (maybe they already have better ones,) and selling them without the risk of them being tracked back to you is more hassle than it's worth.

[e] Also, you can rig up the vehicle's system so the existing computer hardware is still on the grid, still looks like it's working - just that its directions aren't going anywhere. And have the actual brains of the ride feed its instructions to the preexisting autopilot, so it still LOOKS like it's doing something.

That way, you'll know if you're being targeted by hackers when your old autopilot starts doing things your new one didn't tell it to do.

Though, as a GM, I tend to arrange, within one run at most, for my players' Runners to come into possession of a pre-stolen shipment of Battle Buddy Basics, with an implant-version Battle Buddy ready to go for the group's hacker.
Mantis
You are a nice GM. smile.gif
Zednark
Battle Buddy?
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Zednark @ Dec 15 2016, 10:06 PM) *
Battle Buddy?
One of a few commlinks released in War!. The Singularity Basic Battle Buddy is the highest end commlink anyone can get at character creation, with Response 5 & Signal 5, Availability 8R, and for 10,000¥. The next step up is the not so basic Singularity Battle Buddy, with Response 7, Signal 6, Availability 24F, and for 17,000¥. Both are considered military grade hardware and come with biometric locks, Armor 5, and Hardening 5 modifications standard.

And there are no standard operating systems to go with either, so you're having to go with either something lower powered from the core book or a custom build for System and Firewall.
Zednark
Ah, I'm not terribly acquainted with 4e.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012