Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ShadowSEA as a contact
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyrel
I'll be starting a campaign for some friends on Jan. 25th, and I'm now finally beginning to get a look at their characters. One of them would like to have ShadowSEA as a contact with Loyalty 1 and Connection 2. In itself I don't have a problem with that. However, I'm wondering a little about the Connection 2 rating, with a thought to Runner's Companion p. 124.

ShadowSEA's a virtual connection, and I'd argue that the Membership modification would be at least +4 on the Connection Rating, and the Matrix Resources would be at least another +2 modifier, making for a Loyalty 1, Connection 6+ at least.

As the GM, I'm of course free to rule as I'd like, but what's you people's oppinion on the matter?

P.S.
This for a SR4a game.
Iduno
Aren't the number of dice to get information based on connection rating, and the chance they'll be willing/have time to help you help you based on loyalty?

I guess if they don't have any more build points (or karma) to spend on the connection, or don't want to spend them, make sure they realize they've got a contact that is possibly better than a matrix search. I guess they can find information that isn't on the matrix, but they also don't care enough to go dig up information for them most of the time.

If they want the full knowledge and effort of ShadowSea helping them, they'll probably want to pony up for a more reasonable connection and loyalty rating.

Mantis
You could also let them spend karma once the game starts to increase the connection of their ShadowSEA contact to represent a deeper involvement with the character and the group. Maybe the connection 2 just means the character recently joined and don't have all the privileges yet. Perhaps folks on ShadowSEA don't like revealing how much they know to noobs or whatever. Spend karma and get a better connection.
Kyrel
QUOTE (Mantis @ Jan 8 2017, 07:25 PM) *
You could also let them spend karma once the game starts to increase the connection of their ShadowSEA contact to represent a deeper involvement with the character and the group. Maybe the connection 2 just means the character recently joined and don't have all the privileges yet. Perhaps folks on ShadowSEA don't like revealing how much they know to noobs or whatever. Spend karma and get a better connection.

True. But wouldn't the network's willingness to assist the character not normally be "regulated" by the Loyalty rating, which signifies the character's rep. in the network? And frankly, I'm not overly happy about letting characters spend karma on contacts, once the game is underway. But they can develop them during the game, through roleplaying effort.
SpellBinder
Runner's Companion has rules on Groups As Contacts. Page 130, in the section on Virtual Contacts has ShadowSEA detailed.
Mantis
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Jan 8 2017, 02:11 PM) *
True. But wouldn't the network's willingness to assist the character not normally be "regulated" by the Loyalty rating, which signifies the character's rep. in the network? And frankly, I'm not overly happy about letting characters spend karma on contacts, once the game is underway. But they can develop them during the game, through roleplaying effort.

Well if that's the way you want to go, then the player will need to buy ShadowSEA at the connection level you set.
Another option could be to just say they are on the outskirts of ShadowSEA, not the inner circle and that's why the connection is only 2. Even if they have a high loyalty at this level, there just isn't much the contact can do for them. If they want a higher connection they need to roleplay and work their way in to the higher levels of the organization.
The simplest thing though, is to just set the connection level of ShadowSEA at what you feel is right and tell the player if he wants the contact then that is how much it will cost.
Kyrel
QUOTE (Mantis @ Jan 9 2017, 04:14 AM) *
The simplest thing though, is to just set the connection level of ShadowSEA at what you feel is right and tell the player if he wants the contact then that is how much it will cost.

This is essentially what I'm considdering doing. However, what I'm asking the board here about, is what you people think would be a resonable Connection level for ShadowSEA?
Kyrel
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jan 9 2017, 03:52 AM) *
Runner's Companion has rules on Groups As Contacts. Page 130, in the section on Virtual Contacts has ShadowSEA detailed.

I've read that section, and it does describe ShadowSEA. However, it doesn't give you any indication of what the "realistic" Connection rating ought to be. That's what I'm looking for feedback and oppinions on.
bannockburn
Maybe the table on p. 129 is helpful to you in this situation - especially the cost column. It's an optional rule, but it may apply to your question.
Other than that, the group connection rating is further explored on p. 124, but be aware that this can become a very expensive contact with a very limited area of use quickly.
For example, I'd go with:
  • 100-1000 members = +4
  • Sprawl-wide influence = +2
  • Minority with magical assets = +1
  • Broad reaching matrix ressources = +4

for a total of 11 connection rating, without even considering loyalty (i.e. reputation with the group contact).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012