Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Debt (4ed)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stingray
.. Would Mothers of Metahumanity (policlub)be valid Debter to Changeling charc?
..usually an underworld syndicate,large gang or corporation..(Runner's Companion)
Jaid
QUOTE (Stingray @ Jan 10 2017, 08:31 AM) *
.. Would Mothers of Metahumanity (policlub)be valid Debter to Changeling charc?
..usually an underworld syndicate,large gang or corporation..(Runner's Companion)

i would presume someone very extreme would be required. the implication of the "in debt" NQ is that bad things™ will happen if you don't pay up (and that they may require you to do some things you'd rather not do while you remain in debt). a typical policlub is unlikely to do that.

now, if you have a militant organization with the same general objectives as M.O.M. then i could see that (and i'm certain there are plenty of organizations along those lines)

so, no to M.O.M. directly, but yes to more violent organizations that have ties to and similar goals to M.O.M. i would say.
Stingray
.. frown.gif ..ok..would Atlantean Foundation work?..
making Charc formerly employed by them..( and AF is corporation, after all)
Mantis
They also seem a little too nice to be sending leg breakers if you don't pay your debt installments on time. I suppose they could send spirits to collect. In Debt should be tied to a group that will a) offer up money to a high risk client, b) have no problem with the high interest rate (legally or morally), and c) be willing to send leg breakers to collect on the debt. After all, it isn't like they can send the character to a collection agency and ruin their credit. A typical runner has no SIN to track and no credit rating to speak of. Think loan sharks and other shady fellows who meet in dark alleys or the corporate equivalent.
Stingray
QUOTE (Mantis @ Jan 10 2017, 06:25 PM) *
They also seem a little too nice to be sending leg breakers if you don't pay your debt installments on time. I suppose they could send spirits to collect. In Debt should be tied to a group that will a) offer up money to a high risk client, b) have no problem with the high interest rate (legally or morally), and c) be willing to send leg breakers to collect on the debt. After all, it isn't like they can send the character to a collection agency and ruin their credit. A typical runner has no SIN to track and no credit rating to speak of. Think loan sharks and other shady fellows who meet in dark alleys or the corporate equivalent.

hmmm...what about making him former corp-backed Mercenary (or being in reserve member/ being more urban oriented (urban division)..in WAR!!! there is a mention of Debt ( p.134)..and being clearly
Changeling (surge lvl 3) Iron Cavalry would fit perfectly ( Saeder-krupp backed and majority are non-metahumans) anyway).
..can not t pay??.. we have a job for you.. wink.gif
Nath
It really depends on your flavor of Shadowrun. There is no actual requirement for any faction to play it nice. The only objection is that MOM is not supposed to be usurers. I can imagine a character having to borrow money from an organization like MOM to repay for money or equipment he stole from MOM or damaged in the first place. In such case, even if there are supposed to "good guys," they may not play the repayment plan nice, if anything so as to daunt other people that may be tempted to do the same thing.
Mantis
Stingray, I think a mercenary company, so long as it is large enough and far reaching enough, would work to be in debt to. The other thing that runs in common with the groups listed in the quality is that they are all big enough to have near world wide reach so the character can't just go somewhere else to escape the debt.
Honestly though, I'd look for another quality unless you really, really, really need the money to start or it is going to be a core component of your character's backstory. In Debt kinda sucks, especially if your GM plays it in its worst interpretation.
Jaid
in debt is ludicrously good *unless* your DM plays it fairly unpleasant. i suppose it is worse for someone who has easy ways to scale with money, but that should be relatively uncommon... if you're heavily enhanced, you probably need betaware or better to *really* cram in anything truly impressive with money (which means unless someone is offering you a piece of betaware gear, you probably can't afford it regardless), if you're not, you probably want to have high essence anyways.

i mean, i guess i would avoid it like the plague if i was a rigger. but for many character types, needing to make regular payments to keep <organization> off your back isn't that bad.
Stingray
..it took some scrunching but managed to drop in debt and get imoney from Born Rich quality..all i need now to get my Willpower up again.. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012