Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HK & languages
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stingray
Charc is UCAS-born, been stationed in HK in 4 y,
languages: English,spanish,japanese,cantonese,russian
would it fit to add Mandarin-chinase to list?
hermit
Given that Hong Kong severed ties with the Chinese rump state, no. Mandarin is Beijing's, the Han's and the communist state's language. I'd think Hong Kong, freshly independent and more Singaporean than Singapore ever was, would want to keep that around.

I suggest he adds Cantonese instead. Cantonese being the language of Hong Kong, and since they severed ties with the mainland, they have no reason at all to contnue encouraging anyone to speak Mandarin, which isn't popular in Hong Kong, to say the least.
Stingray
..TU fof comment..charc already have cantonese..hmm..maybe adding germany instead..
Blade
Filipino or Malay could make sense and would probably be quite useful in the Shadows of HK.
Zednark
I'd let you speak Mandarin with Cantonese at a steep penalty, sort of like how languages work in Cyberpunk 2020.

Edit: Maybe you should skip an additional language and go for a knowledge skill of some description. Knowledge: Hong Kong is a must, and Knowledge: Chinese Warlords might be helpful if you get work on the mainland.
Sengir
QUOTE (Stingray @ Jan 31 2017, 12:53 PM) *
..TU fof comment..charc already have cantonese..hmm..maybe adding germany instead..

Does he work for/with S-K?
Stingray
..no S-K employed. employed by Pikeman Security (private paramilitary/security company) (their client is Atlantean Foundation)
Working as security/bodyguard for researchers
Wuxing-magic tradition and magic rift that is in HK.
(low-lever german- skill level due hostilities between Wuxing and Saeder-krupp)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012