Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR3] How quick does CS-gas spread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Acenoid
Hello there!

We applied the standard 10 metres in a few combat turns when spreading the gas from a cs - grenade. Was that correct or does it have it's own spread speed. I didn't find clear instructions in the M&M book.

Best regards
Kren Cooper
From the main SR3 rule book, P283

Gas Grenades, such as Neuro-Stun VIII: Affects everything within a 10 meter radius and lasts 2 combat turns, less in windy areas / at GMs discretion
Smoke Grenades - the same, though for "reasons" they describe it as having a 20 meter diameter, rather than a 10m radius. Thanks.

From M&M, P117
Z-IC Splah grenades - disperse chemicals over a 5m radius, carry 1 liter = 10 doses of payload.

From my read, how your played it sounds fine. A 10m radius effect, that persists for a ~6 seconds then starts to clear, depending on wind, air-con, other blasts, area etc. Depending on the situation, I would probably go with the radius increasing by 1m per turn, and the power of the effect (whether it be CS / Smoke / Neuro-stun) dropping by 2/turn as it both spreads, drops and decays, after the initial period, until the power effectively drops to 0 - at least in a small combat, to simulate the chemical dissipating over the course of time. In a big combat with lots going on, I'd just have them be non-effective after the initial time, for both sides, to keep things flowing quickly.

Air elementals, spirits of the sky, wind machines, jet propellers and other such effects would probably dissipate and render such attacks useless, or direct them in a particular direction, whilst strong wind, air-con and natural wind tunnels may half the duration or move the AoE effect significantly. On the other hand a well insulated room, gas sealed door or setting off a grenade inside something like a freezer may double the duration, or maintain the effect indefinitely as they trap the gas inside with no chance to escape.
Acenoid
Thanks for the detailed answer!
Ed_209a
A few minutes on Youtube show me two general types of gas grenades, a burning type, and a bursting type.

The burning type (search for M18 gas grenade) makes a thick plume of smoke for about a minute. It does not exploxe, and you can hold it in your hand until it eventually becomes too hot.

The bursting type (search for tank smoke grenade) makes a 10m cloud instantly. It definitely explodes. It would probably take your hand off, but might not kill you

I would watch both and see which works for your SR game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012