Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wasteland Blues Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Titan
The punk band was extra energetic tonight. The walls were vibrating to the screeching of electric instruments. Kids, perhaps “young adults,” were dancing – after a fashion in the “pit.” To the Dwarf pushing his way through the idle crowd, it looked more like fighting.

“Oi! Sean! Set me up wit' a round, if ye please!” the Dwarf yelled out to the scrawny guy behind the bar.

Sean turned to see who was yelling at him, and noticed one of his regulars. A red haired Dwarf, with a full fledged shaved head mohawk and a full head tattoo of a Roman Galea helmet in some sort of silvery metallic ink that had the mohawk as its' crest.

“Sure thing Titan!” Sean hollered back, and grabbed a bottle of Scotch and a glass as he walked down the bar towards the stool the Dwarf climbed up onto.

“Whatcha doin' here?” he asked as he poured the Dwarf a double and slid the glass over to him.

“Whatdya mean? I'm havin' a drink!”

“No... Rumor has it, ye livin' outcha car! Shouln'cha be savin' ye nuyen?”

“Not at all! It'sa lifestyle choice, not a necessity! I got a soy processor, a stocked bar with drek almost as good as dis battery acid ye serve! I got grid access an' games should I wann'im! Hell, my trucks better 'an many apartments 'round here! Perhaps even yours!” The Dwarf pointed to Sean and laughed at his own ribbing.

“No, really! I gotta mate that could use ye' skills! I'll set ye up, null sweat!”

The Dwarf stopped enjoying his own joke real quick, and squinted at his bartender. “I don't do dat anymore Sean! Ye know dat! Not since,” the Dwarf slammed his fist on his chest, and even over the music a metallic clang could be heard when fist hit chest “I needed dis to even have a chance a wakin' up an' breathin'!”

Sean grimaced at the mental image of the Dwarf being thrown under a bus. No, really. The rival gang literally threw him under a passing bus.

“Fine! Fair enough! But I got 'nother lead for ye then!”

Titan squinted at the bartender once more.

“Here!” Sean slipped the Dwarf a drink coaster. “Access this! It'll tell ye where an' when ta meet!” Sean headed over to some rowdy customers to see what they wanted.

Titan accessed his comm through DNI and focused on the coaster. It took a while, but he eventually noticed the hidden icon of the RFID tag that was hidden in the drink coaster. “Clever.” Titan thought as he copied the file to his comm. He erased the tag / coaster and tossed it onto the back bar. While he was still ARing, Titan went ahead and transferred enough nuyen to the register to pay for his drink. The red nuyen icon ARO above Titans' head turned green, then faded.

“Thanks fer the drink Sean! I'll see ya later!” Titan waved before jumping down from the stool. Sean absentmindedly raised his hand in the Dwarfs direction but stopped to smile at the sight of the red mohawk dropping out of sight on the front side of the bar, then popping back up in the sea of customers as he pressed his way back out through the crowd. “Godspeed.” he wished the man.
Derfmancher
Am I crazy if I put all of my spells on one fetish? Its easy for book keeping and math.. but I think that might be me being very, very stupid. Also, welcome Bastard!

[ Spoiler ]

Mulcarn
QUOTE (Titan @ Jun 26 2017, 06:32 PM) *
Wait, is this team Fixer free? I'll have to move my contact points around then, as I was counting on buying the group fixer (It'll let me add some more points to my bartender contact).

Yup. He's free. Except he won't be very friendly or very well connected.

QUOTE (Derfmancher @ Jun 26 2017, 07:21 PM) *
Am I crazy if I put all of my spells on one fetish? Its easy for book keeping and math.. but I think that might be me being very, very stupid. Also, welcome Bastard!

You can if you want. I had a char concept for something similar as well.
Derfmancher
QUOTE (Mulcarn @ Jun 26 2017, 06:30 PM) *
You can if you want. I had a char concept for something similar as well.

I think it sounds like a fun version of the power focus idea.. just dulled down a bit. I just have to pray thay arent too hard to replace if I have to. Pending any further advice, consider the above version my submission.

Bastard, what are you gonna play?
Titan
First, some resources that may help.

A Shadowrun Chicago map. I don't claim accuracy is 100%, but it may help to orient players some.

Combat Cheat Sheet
Magic Cheat Sheet
Matrix/Rigging Cheat Sheet

Now, Titan v0.3 w/ updated contacts
[ Spoiler ]
Mulcarn
Everybody is lookin' good so far. I'm kicking off the campaign on July 5th. Was originally going to be the 4th but I think I might be busy that day.

@Mercy - Are you still interested in playing?

@Bastard - Need any help with character creation?
Derfmancher
I will be traveling to see family on the 1st through the 5th. In and our of cell and Internet coverage. Ill do my best to be available on the 5th but that is my return flight day.
Bastard
QUOTE (Mulcarn @ Jun 28 2017, 09:33 AM) *
Everybody is lookin' good so far. I'm kicking off the campaign on July 5th. Was originally going to be the 4th but I think I might be busy that day.

@Mercy - Are you still interested in playing?

@Bastard - Need any help with character creation?

Got an outline. Got to move some skills around. Fleshing out a street sam, since I normally play a face.

What is the availability limit? The only thing I am looking at over 10 is Wired Reflexes 2, which is 12.
Mulcarn
Its 12 normally.
Saytr
Hello I was wondering if there is a open spot on team for another runner I haven't used forum in a while has been hard to find consistent games that post regularly. i was involved in a few games over several years but the people i played with on this forum have either dropped off or we have gotten older and moved on to other things lol. regardless i saw you were starting a new game and thought i would see if there was a open slot for a chummer.
Mulcarn
We were full but I think Mercy dropped so yes, we have an opening.
Saytr
Well I will see if about rolling up a new character anything to round out the team or just make what ever?
Mulcarn
Let's see what we have so far.

Harbinger - Firewatch Sorcerer
Jaws - Burnout Shark Adept
Aeron - Lion Shaman
Titan - Psychotic Rigger
"Unnamed Character" - Street Samurai

The team has the magical and physical aspects of the game covered. What they are missing is a competent hacker. So either a Decker or Technomancer would round out the team rather nicely. But you can make whatever you feel like. I don't want you stuck playing something you wouldn't enjoy.
Saytr
No worries I'll whip up a hacker/technomancer and pm you the sheet to look over.
Bastard
QUOTE (Mulcarn @ Jun 30 2017, 11:45 AM) *
Let's see what we have so far.

Harbinger - Firewatch Sorcerer
Jaws - Burnout Shark Adept
Aeron - Lion Shaman
Titan - Psychotic Rigger
"Unnamed Character" - Street Samurai

The team has the magical and physical aspects of the game covered. What they are missing is a competent hacker. So either a Decker or Technomancer would round out the team rather nicely. But you can make whatever you feel like. I don't want you stuck playing something you wouldn't enjoy.

Looks like no one has covered face.... Do I need to include some of those skills?

My character's name is Karmakaze
Titan
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jun 30 2017, 08:09 PM) *
Looks like no one has covered face.... Do I need to include some of those skills?

Aeron the Lion Tamer, er Shaman has us covered there. Unless you are going to go full blown Face, it will be difficult to match.
Bastard
QUOTE (Titan @ Jul 1 2017, 04:33 AM) *
Aeron the Lion Tamer, er Shaman has us covered there. Unless you are going to go full blown Face, it will be difficult to match.

K... Thanks... Built her with social skills as an elf bounty hunter.
Maybe I'll do some more modifications.
Gilga
I think that social skills are valuable for every runner. In fact this will be my first time playing one without some ability in that department.
Bastard
Karmakaze

Still getting all the information transferred over.

Looking for a Code of Honor that will work? She is an ex-detective, turned PI / Bounty Hunter. Looking at something where she won't shoot up innocent people, but no problem shooting bad guys.
Paladin - Cannot break one’s word. Cannot harm the innocent. Must not allow art or beauty to come to harm
Wuxia - May not harm the innocent. May never accept bribes or misuse authority. May not serve the corrupt.
Assassins Creed - Only accept contracts to kill those who you believe deserve death; kill someone who does not deserve it, you suffer a –1 dice pool modifier to all Mental tests

Got to type up a background, and type up my gear and cyber
Jack_Spade
Warrior Codex is great: Don't kill from ambush - but no-one said anything about using stun damage
Bastard
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Jul 3 2017, 12:00 AM) *
Warrior Codex is great: Don't kill from ambush - but no-one said anything about using stun damage

Thanks. Trying to find the one that works within the construct of our team/mission and works for my character.
Titan
QUOTE (Bastard @ Jul 3 2017, 02:41 AM) *
Thanks. Trying to find the one that works within the construct of our team/mission and works for my character.

Just in case you are still deciding, I'd recommend not taking Wuxia. While I like it, it is banned from Shadowrun Missions for a reason. I suspect it is the whole "may not work for the corrupt" part. It is debatable that most Johnsons are corrupt.

All the others you have listed would work from my point of view.
Mulcarn
Shadowrun Missions don't really create a fair or fun sense of what is and isn't viable. Half of what's inside the sourcebooks are banned from use. Which is stupid because why am I buying a book with all kinds of new toys and options only to be told that I can't use most of it? Its absurd.

Back on point - As Jack recommended, Warrior's Code would probably fit best.

For magic based characters - I've been rereading Forbidden Arcana and have decided that CGL can't be trusted when it comes down to certain game mechanics. Such as how the Dark King Mentor Spirit is a sad pathetic shell of what he used to be and how the Necro Magic Tradition is infuriatingly unusable (Even as a GM I can't make it not suck without cheating). So, in essence, I'd be willing to allow custom rules if you have any interest in wanting to try out either or anything similarly broken.
Titan
If'n you wanna turn this into a CGL bitch thread, I can oblige.

But I'll keep this short: I am betting their Shadowrun Editor is the IT guy/gal on the side. That is why their site is hacked, AGAIN. Shit at both jobs... nyahnyah.gif
Jack_Spade
Yeah, I really need to migrate my two remaining games away from the site. It's infuriating - every time (damn - now we need to start counting the hacks) posts get lost and everything grinds to a halt as the pieces have to get sorted out.
Derfmancher
As a player/GM thats new to a mage as a character in SR and this being my first SR pbp in general, ill be stayimg away from any custom rules. For now.
Bastard
Thanks for the advice on Codes.

If not Warrior, I think Assassin works, not by name but description. My character has no problem killing, but no one she doesn't believe deserves it. They all seem pretty much the same with a small difference.
Mulcarn
A quick heads up and reminder, I'm going to be starting the game soon. In 4 days soon. If you still need more time to plan and create your character it's fine i'll start things off slow so you won't get left behind. Just enough to get the balling rolling for those who are finished and are ready at the starting line.
Derfmancher
Logistics questions from the PbP newb. Are we each going to do a thread, or one large one? How do you prefer to do dice rolls?
Bastard
My character is now linked in my signature. Need to write more for the background and contacts, but I hopefully left enough to get the gist.
Mulcarn
We'll do one large thread with everyone in it. Less confusing and easier to keep up with that way. I may create a side thread in the future for roundabout missions that take place in between the weeks and months and so forth.

Orokos

Use the link above and make an account for dice rolls
Titan
QUOTE (Mulcarn @ Jul 6 2017, 08:32 AM) *
Orokos (Linked to the register page, since I wasn't able to find a way from the front page.)

A quick primer on how to use the site:

Most rolls will use the code [Xd6t5] where "X" is your dice pool number.
Whenever the "Rule of Six" comes into play (I'm only aware of spending Edge on "Pushing the Limit") the code is [Xd6h5]
I'd also suggest putting in the roll description the full roll notation such as "Spellcasting {6} + Magic {6} [Force {4}] vs Willpower" or whatever the roll is. But if Mulcarn doesn't require it, it is completely optional.
Derfmancher
Added my sheet and my rolls to my sig as well. Is there a way to pre-set dice rolls for a given setup? IE build a preset and then just tell it to roll it?
Mulcarn
Seeing as how I've lost most of my player base due to either internal differences or external difficulties, (Work and Home-life biz) I will be reopening my recruitment. Check out the first page for House Rules and Chargen restrictions and such. First come first served.
Bastard
QUOTE (Mulcarn @ Nov 30 2017, 01:01 PM) *
Seeing as how I've lost most of my player base due to either internal differences or external difficulties, (Work and Home-life biz) I will be reopening my recruitment. Check out the first page for House Rules and Chargen restrictions and such. First come first served.

I am still here, but I thought the game was dead. Still interested in playing - continuing or reboot.
Mulcarn
Game's not dead. (Not yet...) Thought we lost you.
Derfmancher
I mean, I'm here as well.
Bastard
QUOTE (Mulcarn @ Dec 2 2017, 08:52 AM) *
Game's not dead. (Not yet...) Thought we lost you.
Not quite. Didn't want to hijack the thread, so I was waiting on others to reply. biggrin.gif
Mulcarn
@Derfmancher - Havn't seen you on dumpshock in forever. I assumed you lost interest or something came up IRL.
Derfmancher
This is literally the only campaign I am tracking and I have alerts set up to pop if it ever got a reply again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012