Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Qualitys
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Savar
Okay my Google Foo is weak.

25 max starting positive qualitys ?
even if you take 25 negative?

So you have 25 karma to start with you can use, you can get 25 more by taking negative, but your still limited to 25 positive?

Is that the rule? Or did it get changed?
JanessaVR
Just use our house rules:

"There is no limit on the number of Negative Qualities you can take. However, all Negative Qualities require specific GM approval."

So trying to munchkin your way into a one-eyed, one-legged, one-armed freaky changeling who's nonetheless a great decker or something gets nipped in the bud quickly.

As for Positive Qualities - also no limit. If that's where you want to sink your points, that's on you.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Savar @ Jun 19 2017, 05:57 PM) *
Okay my Google Foo is weak.

25 max starting positive qualitys ?
even if you take 25 negative?

So you have 25 karma to start with you can use, you can get 25 more by taking negative, but your still limited to 25 positive?

Is that the rule? Or did it get changed?

Yes by RAW 25 is the Limit in Vanilla SR no matter how much/many neg Quals you take ( Top Runner allows for More( 35 IIRC), Strreetrunner cuts it even more (to 13 IIRC).
I often use left over points to raise Attributes, get Contacts or a Martial Art (Which does not count as a Pos Qual IIRC)

with a vanilla Dance
Medicineman
Glyph
Yep, that's the rule. Starting Karma is used for a lot of possible things - spells, complex forms, bonding foci, skills, Attributes, extra starting money, etc.
Beta
As others said, you are correct. Don't forget that the extra karma can help out in a lot of areas, especially your lower priorities (set a stat at one, then use ten karma to improve to two. Ditto for edge for many metahuman types. If short on skill points, put those only into your high skills, then buy utitlity skills at 1 (for 2 karma) to avoid defaulting on them. If low resources, get enough to have a basic starting kit using karma..... I've had a character with full negative qualities and no positive ones (I don't necessarily recommend it, many qualities are super useful, but it can be done).
PraetorGradivus
And as has been pointed out about martial arts...
Adept Ways don't count toward positive qualities...
Though I personally only find the Burnout's way worth the points.
It would be nice if Catalyst put out an addendum adding various of the new adept powers to the Ways list of discountable powers.
Glyph
The burnout's way isn't really worth it, because you only get the discount on standard augmentations. Someone who waits to get higher grade implants will wind up with more value for their lost Essence without sinking points into a temporary quality. The biocompatibility quality is better for getting an Essence cost reduction on augmentations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012