Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Campaign Concept! Ideas/ C&C
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Derfmancher
Chummers!

New to this board, but a long time PRG player and recent SR transplant.
I have been playing SR for about a hear and a half now with the same group.
My Pathfinder campaign that I GM is getting ready to come to an end and has expressed an interest in the SR universe (5th ed).

I have a concept for my first SR campaign and I would like to field it here for you all to help me sort out if it makes good sense, and could work the way I am imagining.

The basic concept is this: A down on his luck Fixer/Face/Johnson is straight up out of options. He happens upon the group in a local bar (likely one at a time).
He would then pitch a grand vision. What if, there was a corp, that was run/built for (and by) runners? A small time security outfit, specializing in customized solutions.
Some things would of course be on the up and up (I'm considering giving them a very minor corp level SIN for RP purposes of being "employed").

The runners would then assist the Johnson (working name of Ace, but I'm not married to that one) in growing the runner corp, though various missions and interactions.
This would be a high level RP game, with a start at street level for some new players to learn the rules system from the ground up. (And for me to get comfortable GMing the system)

Clearly the Big Corps would not be down with this idea as a whole, so there would come a point where the corp would be targeted by the Big Boys through either indirect, or direct, force.

With me so far?

The more detailed picture I am thinking of, is almost akin to a "kingmaker" type campaign. If the players steal a van at the request of the Johnson, it becomes a corp asset for the team for the future.
If the Johnson gets approached by a mid level corp for a big job.. he is of course going to give his best team first right of refusal. He would send them on missions to grow their resources, and the corporate contacts.
Retrieve a yacht and do some high seas action. Make friends with a big wig, and get a specific mission that he needs done for access to a high level supplier of ammo, etc.

In addition, the Johnson would act as a contact supply line for the group, and the NPC face, if needed. Although I'm not positive the group would need that level of support.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticism? Questions?

binarywraith
It could work out, just make sure your players are well aware that the campaign essentially involves their characters becoming wageslaves so they can write characters who would be cool with it. smile.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 28 2017, 08:45 PM) *
It could work out, just make sure your players are well aware that the campaign essentially involves their characters becoming wageslaves so they can write characters who would be cool with it. smile.gif

I don't know if they'd be wage slaves. They're still 'Runners, but their fixer is their friend and not just some nameless hoop so hooks them up with any drekhead that walks in the door. He vets the Johnsons pretty carefully.

@Derfmancher: I think this can work, but you have to make sure that "Ace" (name subject to change) is on the level with the 'Runners. Also you have to make sure that Ace lets the 'Runners know that they have to be on the level with him. No Decker going off script just so he can get some extra pay data when he's on "Company" time. When he's on his own time... sure have at it, but Ace will deny even knowing him.
sk8bcn
QUOTE (Derfmancher @ Jun 28 2017, 11:06 PM) *
The basic concept is this: A down on his luck Fixer/Face/Johnson is straight up out of options. He happens upon the group in a local bar (likely one at a time).
He would then pitch a grand vision. What if, there was a corp, that was run/built for (and by) runners? A small time security outfit, specializing in customized solutions.
Some things would of course be on the up and up (I'm considering giving them a very minor corp level SIN for RP purposes of being "employed").

The runners would then assist the Johnson (working name of Ace, but I'm not married to that one) in growing the runner corp, though various missions and interactions.
This would be a high level RP game, with a start at street level for some new players to learn the rules system from the ground up. (And for me to get comfortable GMing the system)

(...)

The more detailed picture I am thinking of, is almost akin to a "kingmaker" type campaign. If the players steal a van at the request of the Johnson, it becomes a corp asset for the team for the future.
If the Johnson gets approached by a mid level corp for a big job.. he is of course going to give his best team first right of refusal. He would send them on missions to grow their resources, and the corporate contacts.
Retrieve a yacht and do some high seas action. Make friends with a big wig, and get a specific mission that he needs done for access to a high level supplier of ammo, etc.

In addition, the Johnson would act as a contact supply line for the group, and the NPC face, if needed. Although I'm not positive the group would need that level of support.

Thoughts? Comments? Criticism? Questions?

To me, it depends on the level of knowledge of your players.

the concept might be interesting, but it would hurt my suspension of disbelief. A corporation must have accountants, expert verifying accounts, justifying their money expenses and incomes. So you have to launder your theft to add it to the corp ressources. We're not in a medieval world.

A megacorp unhappy with the new small compgny, could then, clearly, either try to buy it out (and I see no reason for our little Johnson not to sell), or just throw at them an UCAS-Governement verification of accounts to kill the newfound corp.

It also destroys the concept of Shadowrunning. The idea behind a Shadowrun is that you pay an expendable assest with no link to your corporation to do the dirty work. But if the assest belongs to a corp, you have to pay the corp, which means that a link exists betwenn you and them (even if you hide the cash flow, will they do?).
Which means that you don't take them.

Your idea would work better as a criminal group, actually. Or, it woks if your players aren't aware of the level of control that exists over compagnies, accounting and stuff, and hence, would be ok with it.
Derfmancher
QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Jun 29 2017, 02:01 AM) *
To me, it depends on the level of knowledge of your players.

the concept might be interesting, but it would hurt my suspension of disbelief. A corporation must have accountants, expert verifying accounts, justifying their money expenses and incomes. So you have to launder your theft to add it to the corp ressources. We're not in a medieval world.

A megacorp unhappy with the new small compgny, could then, clearly, either try to buy it out (and I see no reason for our little Johnson not to sell), or just throw at them an UCAS-Governement verification of accounts to kill the newfound corp.

It also destroys the concept of Shadowrunning. The idea behind a Shadowrun is that you pay an expendable assest with no link to your corporation to do the dirty work. But if the assest belongs to a corp, you have to pay the corp, which means that a link exists betwenn you and them (even if you hide the cash flow, will they do?).
Which means that you don't take them.

Your idea would work better as a criminal group, actually. Or, it woks if your players aren't aware of the level of control that exists over compagnies, accounting and stuff, and hence, would be ok with it.

I had not thought of doing it as a criminal organization rather than a corp.. that has some good sides to it. I guess Ill have to see if the party wants to try and be good, or bad biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012