Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Australian Weather (2060's)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stingray
..have question: would Australian weather be hot as it is now or even hotter in 2060's ?
reason for question is: Charc is in Australia ( on sec contract), SURGEd and have a Full Body Fur.
would it be appriate to invest Clean Metabolism- bioware ( it would lessen/neutralize the sweating , being outside 90 % of tme)
Bodak
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 12 2017, 11:24 AM) *
..have question: would Australian weather be hot as it is now or even hotter in 2060's ?
Have some thoughts for consideration:
  • the Target: Awakened Lands sourcebook has quite a bit of info on Australia, such as the sovereign traditional owners, the mana storms, etc.
  • the Target: Wastelands sourcebook has info on Wilderness Survival, exposure, dehydration, etc. even some thematic spells
  • Australia spans quite a number of latitudes; as one would expect, the Northern parts of Australia are warmer than the Southern parts so whether your fur would be a problem would be different if you were in Cairns than if you were in Hobart
  • season is increasingly influential the further South you go; arrive in Winter and you're likely facing frosts in the morning for 3 million square kilometres of the country so it depends on specific season and location
  • hot is relative and humidity is important; I've experienced 49 degrees (in the shade) in Alice Springs and it was quite comfortable, whereas I've experienced 40 degrees in Sydney during the days leading up to a "southerly buster" thunderstorm and it's been unbearable. Depending on what latitude your character is from, even 30 degrees might feel like a hot day!
  • altitude makes a big difference; sure the Snowy Mountains are foothills by British standards and aren't covered in snow all year round, but it's cold enough often enough that they are. Much of the Great Dividing Range is pretty nippy
Australia is 5% of the world's land area so it doesn't make much sense to think it is all one uniform temperature, or unilaterally (in)hospitable to mammals with fur.
Stingray
QUOTE (Bodak @ Sep 12 2017, 04:01 PM) *
Have some thoughts for consideration:
  • the Target: Awakened Lands sourcebook has quite a bit of info on Australia, such as the sovereign traditional owners, the mana storms, etc.
  • the Target: Wastelands sourcebook has info on Wilderness Survival, exposure, dehydration, etc. even some thematic spells
  • Australia spans quite a number of latitudes; as one would expect, the Northern parts of Australia are warmer than the Southern parts so whether your fur would be a problem would be different if you were in Cairns than if you were in Hobart
  • season is increasingly influential the further South you go; arrive in Winter and you're likely facing frosts in the morning for 3 million square kilometres of the country so it depends on specific season and location
  • hot is relative and humidity is important; I've experienced 49 degrees (in the shade) in Alice Springs and it was quite comfortable, whereas I've experienced 40 degrees in Sydney during the days leading up to a "southerly buster" thunderstorm and it's been unbearable. Depending on what latitude your character is from, even 30 degrees might feel like a hot day!
  • altitude makes a big difference; sure the Snowy Mountains are foothills by British standards and aren't covered in snow all year round, but it's cold enough often enough that they are. Much of the Great Dividing Range is pretty nippy
Australia is 5% of the world's land area so it doesn't make much sense to think it is all one uniform temperature, or unilaterally (in)hospitable to mammals with fur.

TU for info: my reasing for question is: In Corporate Guide there is mention of AA level corp Tanamyre Resorces (p 156) (employer),
there is mention of S-K's division director taking a walk and disappering..Headquarter in Perth..
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 12 2017, 06:32 AM) *
TU for info: my reasing for question is: In Corporate Guide there is mention of AA level corp Tanamyre Resorces (p 156) (employer),
there is mention of S-K's division director taking a walk and disappering..Headquarter in Perth..

That just means that Australia is a dangerous place. smile.gif
Stingray
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 12 2017, 06:21 PM) *

..so true, god's own country do not tolerate Weak or Stupid....
..after disappearing, S-K were in trouble,,japana-corps attacked, and Tanamyre Resources decided to side w/ SK and fight againts attackers..
Perth..center of all fighting..(??)
Bodak
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 12 2017, 03:21 PM) *
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 12 2017, 01:32 PM) *
QUOTE (Stingray @ Sep 12 2017, 11:24 AM) *
would it be appriate to invest Clean Metabolism- bioware ( it would lessen/neutralize the sweating , being outside 90 % of tme)
S-K's division director taking a walk and disappering..Headquarter in Perth..
Exactly. Has anyone ever stepped outside in Chechnya or America and then disappeared? In such dangerous places, anyone on the street could have a gun. You'll be orders of magnitude safer in Australia.

If Corporate Guide describes Australians getting abducted by the climate, I don't see why invasive surgery appeals to you more than just packing a jumper and a hair clipper.
Stingray
QUOTE (Bodak @ Sep 13 2017, 04:44 AM) *
S-K's division director taking a walk and disappering..Headquarter in Perth..That just means that Australia is a dangerous place. :)Exactly. Has anyone ever stepped outside in Chechnya or America and then disappeared? In such dangerous places, anyone on the street could have a gun. You'll be orders of magnitude safer in Australia.

If Corporate Guide describes Australians getting abducted by the climate, I don't see why invasive surgery appeals to you more than just packing a jumper and a hair clipper.

.. " Invasive Surgery"..hmm..0,05 essence gone.. biggrin.gif
..charc already get almost 4 essence worth of cyber and bio..
( and have Biocompatability quality..)

(Someone/thing "suuggested" him that taking a walk into the wild without mentioning anyone,without bodyguards,without gear would be good thing..and walking in awakened Outback like that would be ******

edit: this issue just became moot, by my **** GM.., Australia is No-Go...Suggested Sec-contract in Europe, Hunting Paracritters as member of Paramilitary Sec. (backed secretly by S-k)
(that would explain Records on file..)
Iduno
Australia in Shadowrun is identical to Australia in the real world, except there's a mana storm permanently over Sydney, and the lies told to tourists are more believable.

There was a post on the gaming den about using Australia, as is, as a horror setting. It sounds like a hell of a setting, less because of dangerous people, and more because even non-sentient things are deadly. And there should enough intrigue for Shadowrun, if the whole thing hasn't burned down yet.
Bodak
QUOTE (Iduno @ Sep 19 2017, 01:11 PM) *
There was a post on the gaming den about using Australia, as is, as a horror setting.
It has been in the news recently. I know it's all about a Ranger from the-d20-game-that-shant-be-named but I thought Pitch Black is fantastic; even if it isn't vanilla horror it highlights the human fear of anything either unknown or not directly under our control in the Australian outback.
QUOTE (Iduno @ Sep 19 2017, 01:11 PM) *
It sounds like a hell of a setting, less because of dangerous people, and more because even non-sentient things are deadly.
We have plenty of non-sentient things killing people, from cholesterol, smoking, alcohol, car accidents, skin-cancer, etc., all the way down to vending machines and coconuts. Hardly riveting stuff, because what actually kills people (like guns, bacon, and unconsciously drowning in alcoholic vomit) is a lot less glamorous than what's theoretically deadly - even if almost nobody dies from it (such as hypothermia, dehydration, blood loss while swimming) and bonus points if the situation affords hours of helpless angst as impending fate encroaches (so that rules out most falls from balconies, cliffs, etc.)

This did backfire marvellously once that I've seen. Sunshine has got to be the worst film I've watched (worse than Equilibrium with its jet engine execution chamber, its Fahrenheit-451 librecide, its gun-fu and never specifying which four letters its tetragrammaton clerics stood for; worse than Snowpiercer with its maintenance-free railways, wind-chill velocity, and entire strata of the food chain conspicuously absent) from its wobbly scalpel completely useless for surgery, and premise that an infinitesimal Uranium fission reaction could help the Sun's Hydrogen fusion reaction. The deadly non-sentient cold was killing the world, providing its horror backdrop. Once
[ Spoiler ]
there's an unexpected momentary glimpse of Sydney harbour in the snow. Australia hasn't featured at all in this film up until that point, so what possible reason could be behind its unexplained cameo? Maybe, if the planet has got so cold even Sydney has snow, the rest of the world must be a frozen iceblock! Anyway, the cinema erupted in laughter at that sight. Probably not the reaction the storyboard team had hoped for!
Mantis
QUOTE (Iduno @ Sep 19 2017, 05:11 AM) *
Australia in Shadowrun is identical to Australia in the real world, except there's a mana storm permanently over Sydney, and the lies told to tourists are more believable.

There was a post on the gaming den about using Australia, as is, as a horror setting. It sounds like a hell of a setting, less because of dangerous people, and more because even non-sentient things are deadly. And there should enough intrigue for Shadowrun, if the whole thing hasn't burned down yet.

There is also the frequent mana storms that sweep the interior, making it nearly impossible for anyone outside the Aborigines aided by magic to live there. This means most of the population lives on the coasts. Much like today. Water is also in short supply in many areas, even more so than today so on the hygiene front, Australians tend to be more forgiving of things like b.o. An Australian who grew up with this might be somewhat amazed at the wasteful use of water the typical North American practices.
farothel
I don't think fur is really a problem. Kangeroes and dingos both have fur and they do fine. Most fur traps a layer of air which isolates, but isolation works both ways.

One thing: in Australie, assume that any animal you see is dangerous until proven otherwise (and yes, that includes the kangeroes). frown.gif
Second thing: I liked how Douglas Adams described Australia: a small crust of civilization surrounding a large dustbowl full of hopping things. rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012