Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Control Rig
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Savar
Starting to try to build a rigger.

Spend the karma and ¥ to get a VCR 3? Or just stick with the 2?

Titan
Depends on your focus.

If the rigger is going to be a "pet" rigger, might as well stick with the 2. The Control Rig offers no bonuses when controlling multiple drones / vehicles, and in fact you can get away with a simple Datajack.

If you are going to be spending a lot of time in VR with your drones / vehicles, then the Control Rig is worth it, and you might want to go for the 3.
Sengir
Even if you spend lots of time jumped in it's not worth it IMO. 100k nuyen.gif plus the 15R is just too much you could be spending on skills or simply more drones.
SpellBinder
Not worth being able to make whatever vehicle you're jumped into be able to move 8x faster because... just because? cool.gif
Titan
Even if you ignore the silly speed increase, the + Control Rig Rating to all vehicle / drone / device limits (which is worded differently, and may also stack, with the increase in speed and handling) and the - Control Rig Rating to all vehicle roll Thresholds are still nice.

Of course, you can only get these bonuses when jumped in, and that means VR.
Sengir
QUOTE (Titan @ Dec 26 2017, 06:23 PM) *
Even if you ignore the silly speed increase, the + Control Rig Rating to all vehicle / drone / device limits (which is worded differently, and may also stack, with the increase in speed and handling) and the - Control Rig Rating to all vehicle roll Thresholds are still nice.

No doubt, but we are only talking about the difference between a +2 and +3 here, weighted against a price tag of 67 karma (57 for the 111k surcharge, 10 for Restricted Gear). And that's assuming a VCR 3 that's not at least Alpha, which is something science predicts should exist, but nobody has ever actually seen on a charsheet wink.gif
Titan
I see...

You are under the impression that a rigger that spends ~80% of their time in VR (the only way to make a Control Rig worth it) has any need for skills other than Gunnery and their Pilot skill of choice. And you are also under the impression that having many drones is somehow useful, given the crazy ruling that all autosofts have to be model specific, having more than one plus a back up or two is a waste of nuyen.

That, and you seem to be under the impression that everyone uses KarmaGen, and that is optional in 5e, and you should then assume Priority, since that is standard. And you can't spend nuyen on skills. nyahnyah.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Titan @ Dec 27 2017, 03:18 PM) *
You are under the impression that a rigger that spends ~80% of their time in VR (the only way to make a Control Rig worth it) has any need for skills other than Gunnery and their Pilot skill of choice.

67 Karma would allow you to raise one of those skills from 11 to 12, or do two more realistic increases, get some cyber, whatever.

That, and you seem to be under the impression that everyone uses KarmaGen, and that is optional in 5e, and you should then assume Priority, since that is standard. And you can't spend nuyen on skills. nyahnyah.gif

Yes, I tend to assume some basic sense in people. Also, Reflex Recorders wink.gif
Jaid
it's a bit more significant than the difference between +2 and +3. that threshold change is pretty big as well.

ultimately, i suppose it depends on the thresholds you're accustomed to facing.

(and also whether your DM counts that part towards gunnery vs a dodging enemy).
Iduno
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 3 2018, 04:35 AM) *
it's a bit more significant than the difference between +2 and +3. that threshold change is pretty big as well.

ultimately, i suppose it depends on the thresholds you're accustomed to facing.

(and also whether your DM counts that part towards gunnery vs a dodging enemy).

Yeah, I would call it 4 dice with the threshold change, assuming you have enough dice to be seeing ~average results most of the time. But I agree with having the GM define ahead of time what you can/can't use those dice for. Then see if you can get the same increase elsewhere cheaper (in nuyen, karma, or essence).

Also, find out if the GM has an idea how much it will cost you to upgrade 'ware in-game, and if you'll earn enough to do so. My players are starting to have enough saved up after about 1/2 of the campaign, but rewards are increasing as karma payouts increase. If you're getting 3,000 nuyen/karma in-game, you will probably never afford a significant 'ware upgrade. Take that into consideration with your starting 'ware.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012