Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SR4] - Improved senses Adept power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Machiavelli
Hello Folks,

i would need a little help to get a reference that i cannot find. I can remember a topic where it was stated, how the above mentioned adept power is working, but i cannot find it. The consensus was, that it cannot be discounted like cyberware, but it automatically works on the maximum rating, the cyberware equivalent offers. If there is no mistake or another official statement, this would mean that enhanced smell and taste-power would be +6 dice, because this is the maximum rating of the cyberversion?

It would also helpt to get a note about to which "senses" the power is limited. Dampening seems to work, but what about sound filter, vision enhancement, etc?
Mantis
The reference you are talking about is in the SR4a FAQ, which can be found here.
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-reso...th-edition-faq/
You'll have to scroll down to read it since apparently the links are broken and lead to some other site. Ah Catalyst, always on top of their game.

Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't say much beyond what you have already stated, that the power works at the maximum cyberware rating. The entry above that one states that the power covers anything that has been covered by either critter powers or cyberware.
Kiirnodel
Wouldn't this fall under getting the Improved Sense power for a sense that the Adept already has? That falls under the generic +2 to the Perception test, and possibly gaining additional uses for that sense (like tracking by scent).
Bodak
From what I've seen, the Improved Sense power comes up mostly in topics asking if it applies to ultrasound / echolocation (in the SR3 era) and ultra wideband radar (in the SR4 era). Ultrasound has the major disadvantages that if your helmet has a visor, you can't see very far; if your car has a windscreen, you can't see the road or traffic; you can't read LCDs or streetsigns or stuffer shack menus printed on laminated plasper or notice if your date is wearing makeup or has blood on their hands. And UWBRadar uses electromagnetic radiation just like our real eyes do, but NO.

This is one of those times the Search function here really lets you down because it blocks searching for a phrase if ANY word in that phrase is three or fewer characters long. It doesn't matter if "+6 dice" is 7 characters long, the Search system throws a wobbly that there's a space after just two characters. This often makes it difficult to mine the gold buried in these here hills. And buried by us, no less!
Iduno
QUOTE (Mantis @ Feb 7 2018, 12:31 PM) *
The reference you are talking about is in the SR4a FAQ, which can be found here.
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/game-reso...th-edition-faq/
You'll have to scroll down to read it since apparently the links are broken and lead to some other site. Ah Catalyst, always on top of their game.

Unfortunately the FAQ doesn't say much beyond what you have already stated, that the power works at the maximum cyberware rating. The entry above that one states that the power covers anything that has been covered by either critter powers or cyberware.

Also, the FAQ frequently contradicts other rulings made by the devs and also common sense.

It's an adept power that sounds more "interesting" than "frequently useful" (like traceless step or the take less damage from falling one), so if you can find a way to make it (not brokenly) useful, that's the correct reading. How often do perception rolls come up in your game, and how often are the difficult enough that the +whatever would be helpful?
Machiavelli
Perception is surely one of the mostly rolled tests we have. At least until we get into combat. ^^ So every additional dice is very appreciated. The general problem ist, that the benefits of cyberware are well explained, magic equivalents are pretty squishy on the other hand.
Stahlseele
Aaah yes . . bulletproof titanium robotic parts, and computer enhanced motor and sensory capabilities . . . the bane of every GM nyahnyah.gif
Machiavelli
I don´t know what you are talking about. "Ich kenne kein Lutetia" ^^
Stahlseele
Kugelsichere Titan-Robotteile. Computergesteuerte motorische und sensorische Fähigkeiten. Das Grauen eines jeden TM nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 16 2018, 12:34 AM) *
Kugelsichere Titan-Robotteile. Computergesteuerte motorische und sensorische Fähigkeiten. Das Grauen eines jeden TM nyahnyah.gif

Ahhh... Indeed smile.gif
farothel
I normally only take that power to get some vision types my metatype doesn't have (like thermovision) or to get damping. Everything else I just take goggles or glasses for. Since those things are explicity allowed by the power, there's no discussion (and putting a vison enhancer on goggles doesn't cost all that much)
Machiavelli
That´s one way to solve the problem with the GM. ^^
Bodak
QUOTE (farothel @ Feb 17 2018, 10:16 AM) *
I normally only take that power to get some vision types my metatype doesn't have
The metatype I usually play doesn't naturally have either ultra wideband radar or echolocation / ultrasound vision...
Machiavelli
Seldomly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012