Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Free Spirit player character homebrew rules
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ChromeCoyote
So I decided to tackle making free spirit PCs. I have 2 versions, the first of which is a more classic take on them (no foci, no augmented reality, etc.). The second version is more permissive take, but requires stripping Immunity to Normal Weapons from them (temporarily and voluntarily). Both rely on Spirit Pact quality to make the free spirit playable as a PC (to earn karma). See what you think, use as you wish, and any feed back is appreciated!

Version 1

Version 2

ChromeCoyote
I see that a lot of people have checked this out. Has anyone used them? If so, which version, and how is it working out? I'd appreciate any updates!
JanessaVR
Haven't used them (I'm still an SR4 player), but the pact restrictions of "once lapsed, can't be re-established" seem completely arbitrary to me. It's exactly the kind of rule I come across in the books and instantly strike down with an entry in our House Rules file.

"Why can't I do X?"
"Because...reasons!"
"Yeah, that rule's history."

Otherwise, the first one is better than the second, which imposes too many vulnerabilities, IMHO. It's also partially unnecessary at our table, as spirits can already perceive AR just fine; anything that's not blind can look at a computer screen and the canon rules about this are just incredibly stupid.
ChromeCoyote
Well, the rule about "once lapsed, cannot be re-established" applies only to the metahuman side of the pact. It keeps the spirit from arbitrarily dropping the pact if, say, some one kidnaps the metahuman to use as a copy of the spirit's formula, and then casually re-making the pact when they're out of danger without role playing. Instead, the spirit would have to hunt down a new person to make a pact with before they can resume their life, so there is at least some mechanic for the only negative to actually be a negative.

As for the different versions, the second one only removes 1 power of spirits, which is Immunity to Normal Weapons while manifested. They can still un-manifest, reappear from astral space behind a bad guy and nuke them with a hellblast, they just can't stand in the hail of bullets while they do it. It's just meant for games where the GM thinks Immunity to Normal Weapons is too much, so there's an option for that. If that's not an issue at your table, cool, use version 1.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (ChromeCoyote @ Apr 13 2018, 12:44 AM) *
Well, the rule about "once lapsed, cannot be re-established" applies only to the metahuman side of the pact. It keeps the spirit from arbitrarily dropping the pact if, say, some one kidnaps the metahuman to use as a copy of the spirit's formula, and then casually re-making the pact when they're out of danger without role playing. Instead, the spirit would have to hunt down a new person to make a pact with before they can resume their life, so there is at least some mechanic for the only negative to actually be a negative.

Ah, that's the reasoning. Easily fixed. The pact lasts a year and a day, and can't be rescinded by either party, for any reason, until that duration has elapsed. Renegotiation can occur after that period.

QUOTE (ChromeCoyote @ Apr 13 2018, 12:44 AM) *
As for the different versions, the second one only removes 1 power of spirits, which is Immunity to Normal Weapons while manifested. They can still un-manifest, reappear from astral space behind a bad guy and nuke them with a hellblast, they just can't stand in the hail of bullets while they do it. It's just meant for games where the GM thinks Immunity to Normal Weapons is too much, so there's an option for that. If that's not an issue at your table, cool, use version 1.

Already solved at our table with regards to Immunity to Normal Weapons. That's gone, and instead spirits get Hardened Armor and Hardened Mystic Armor at ratings equal to their Force.
ChromeCoyote
Makes total sense, and good changes to fit your game. I incorporated the wording change on the first point into the documents, and added the Hardened Armor change as an option in the first one. Thanks!
Iduno
I know spirits in general (probably free spirits as well) have a few well-known balance issues. All of the stats increasing at once means they go from too weak to too powerful pretty quickly. The immunity to normal weapons has a larger grey area where it sort of works (immune to small weapons but not really good hits or big weapons), but definitely forces where it does nothing (less than the base damage of all weapons) or just ignores everything short of battleship lasers. Halving the edge from SR4 to SR5 probably solved the edge issue. Probably there won't be a lot of comments, because free spirits are usually horribly unbalanced one way or the other, so they get ignored in most people's games.

I think I had other thoughts, but now I feel dirty for suggesting SR5 managed to fix a single thing without 400 unintended consequences, and then also "fixing" the same problem by changing 4 other semi-related things.
ChromeCoyote
QUOTE (Iduno @ Apr 17 2018, 10:55 AM) *
I know spirits in general (probably free spirits as well) have a few well-known balance issues. All of the stats increasing at once means they go from too weak to too powerful pretty quickly. The immunity to normal weapons has a larger grey area where it sort of works (immune to small weapons but not really good hits or big weapons), but definitely forces where it does nothing (less than the base damage of all weapons) or just ignores everything short of battleship lasers. Halving the edge from SR4 to SR5 probably solved the edge issue. Probably there won't be a lot of comments, because free spirits are usually horribly unbalanced one way or the other, so they get ignored in most people's games.

Thanks! I realize all this, just saw the number of views and got hopeful. I hope they work for someone.

QUOTE (Iduno @ Apr 17 2018, 10:55 AM) *
I think I had other thoughts, but now I feel dirty for suggesting SR5 managed to fix a single thing without 400 unintended consequences, and then also "fixing" the same problem by changing 4 other semi-related things.

LOL, I can understand that. Go shower with some lava and you'll feel better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012