Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun-like scenes from film and TV?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
melquisedeq
I've recently watched a few movies with scenes that, by themselves and not within the context of the film, reminded me of some aspect of Shadowrun. Specifically (spoiler beware and whatnot):

- Stung (2015) is about giant wasps that infect and grow inside humans, which is strongly reminiscent of bug spirits.
There's a specific scene in which this human/wasp conjoined twin type of freak, with a huge larva in hand, is talking about infecting the helpless hero, who's held by his arms on grimy papery hive paste, while the massive wasp queen looks on with that disturbing alien gaze... damn! Felt so Universal Brotherhood/Queen Euphoria to me.

- Upgrade (2018) is about a quadriplegic dude who gets an AI implanted to return his physical capabilities and uses its added abilities to get revenge on those who put him in a wheelchair and killed his girlfriend.
Although the near-future setting has plenty of cyberpunk tropes in common with Shadowrun by definition, there's a couple of fight scenes that really look close to how I imagine magic/cyber-augmented martial combat.
Bonus: one of those fights involves a guy with a hidden cyber-arm-gun. Good stuff!

- Mute (2018) is a proper neon-fest, which really makes it hard to single out just one scene to invoke Shadowrun.
If I had to, though, I'd probably go with the scene in which Simsek's bodyguards, three silent thugs blatantly cybered up for intimidation purposes, calmly watch as Mute suggests that Simsek is skimming off Maksim's profits. I could easily see those three guys as an elite Triad strike team, or Yakuza who moved up together from gangster to soldier to bodyguard.

There's heaps of films and TV shows with scenes I remember watching and distinctly thinking "that's proper Shadowrunny"! Do you guys care to contribute with a few scenes through which you felt the same?
SpellBinder
Person Of Interest (2011) is about a genius computer programmer, an A.S.I. (Artificial Super Intelligence), and a former CIA assassin that fight crime, helping mostly the common people that are about to be in trouble. No magic, no cyber, and it's a modern world setting.

The character Reese is pretty much the definition of "Black Trenchcoat."

Burn Notice (2007) is about a "burned" spy working to clear his name, getting help from friends and family and doing the odd shadowy job along the way. Also no magic or cyber and it's a modern world setting. More of the spy game, shuck-n-jive of shadow work.
Stahlseele
Look at the Movie Bright.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 19 2018, 01:05 AM) *

While I loved the Movie "Bright" there has been a lot of angst against it. frown.gif
JanessaVR
I'll add 2 films you might not have heard of:

Gunhed (1989): A shadowrunner team if I have ever seen one venturing into abandoned but still forbidden corporate territory in search of a payday.

Cyber Wars (2004): A semi-legit PI / bounty hunter in a futuristic Singapore gets entangled in megacorp shenanigans, and has her own Matrix decker as backup.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 19 2018, 01:05 AM) *
I tried. After 30 minutes of having "everyone hates this orc cop" I moved on to something else. I got the message right away; there was no need to continually shove it down my throat.

Sorry, T.J.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Sep 20 2018, 10:29 AM) *
I tried. After 30 minutes of having "everyone hates this orc cop" I moved on to something else. I got the message right away; there was no need to continually shove it down my throat.

Sorry, T.J.

No worries SpellBinder. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012