Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What book to buy?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
theartthief
I know this has been covered before but I had zero luck with the serach function even when I extended the time frame back a good while...

I have BBB, SRC, & MitS. I am looking at getting either CC or M&M. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- theartthief
Kagetenshi
Out of those two, I'd suggest M&M as the more useful of the two.

~J
Connor
For Cyberware, Bioware, and other such goodies, get M&M.

For Weapons, the weapon creation system, martial arts rules, and other such stuff, get CC.
Tziluthi
For value for money, get Man and Machine. The information in that book is generally very useful, with the exception of a few bizzare contraptions, and a couple of munchy items. CC, on the other hand, has more material that is useful to the gaming group as a whole, rather than just the cybered characters, along with a few decent optional rules that you can use to vary your combat, but a couple of the new systems that they bring in (martial arts and gun design) are nigh useless.

My advice to you is to get M&M first. CC's useful but, well, it can wait.
Abstruse
M&M first, then CC. Then Street Survival Guide. Once you have that, anything else you buy is up to your personal tastes, but with the books you have and those three, you have what's considered to be the "core" rules as well as a 200 or so page primer on the game world at your fingertips. Get Matrix if you want to have a decker in your game, as it opens up their options a lot. If you're doing NPC deckers, then that can wait until you've got the cash to burn on it. But the background info in SSG plus the rules for custom lifestyles is very good (for those like me whose characters are generally so focused on their skills in whatever field, they don't care if they have designer furniture or a high-tech trid, just as long as they have the best security they can get).

The Abstruse One
Kagetenshi
Rigger 3 and Matrix are very much core as well.

~J
Abstruse
I know, but so many groups don't play with riggers and deckers that they're almost optional.

The Abstruse One
Kagetenshi
On a tangent, you point out a flaw that's always irritated me with the SSG Lifestyle rules. So few of the categories actually mean anything. If you're a decker, Entertainment is good, and Space is always good, but in general everything can and will be sacrificed for security. Penthouse suite? Luxury security. House in a decent part of town? Luxury security. Apartment in the Projects? Luxury security. Hovel in the middle of the Redmond Barrens? Luxury security. Runners apparently have no problem sleeping on the floor as long as there are three feet of steel between them and the world outside.

~J
Sahandrian
What's wrong with sleeping on the floor?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Runners apparently have no problem sleeping on the floor as long as there are three feet of steel between them and the world outside.

That's less a problem with the rules and more a problem with the runners. All in all, while very true, I don't see a problem with that one existing. Some composite of the comfort/furnishings/entertainment ratings should probably be what counts for the minimum lifestyle while healing thing.
Ecclesiastes
And also keep in mind that if the Shadowrunners can do it, so can the NPCs vegm.gif
Kagetenshi
Yes, but you see, my NPCs have lives.

~J
Pistons
And your runners don't? If I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion, forgive me. But that's the first thought that springs to mind, and it's puzzling. Why wouldn't your shadowrunner have a life?
TinkerGnome
Because Nemesis, my runner, grew up in an abusive home and has no love for anything except for death. Now he does nothing in his free time except clean his guns and wait for his next opportunity to use them on large numbers of people. He also has to polish all of his cyberware, which is what he uses the broken milkcrate for.
Kagetenshi
How should I know? I'm not the one sitting around with vaultlike security and no furniture wink.gif

~J
JaronK
My cat shaman character lived in the top floor of a nice apartment with plenty of skylights, pillows, and couches, a giant bathroom with loads of mirrors and beauty products, and quick access to fresh salmon. He also had a comb as a focus.

Some 'runners know how to live the life.

JaronK
Abstruse
Most of my characters are Professionals with a capital P. They're in the biz for life, so they dedicate their lives to the biz. They don't have frivilous knowledge skills, they don't buy simdecks. If it's not part of their line of work, they don't bother with it.

However, I do at times create characters that have lives outside running. My deckers are usually most likely to be the ones with Anime 6 or 20th Century Stoner Movies 4 as knowledge skills even though they're almost the only type of characters that can get a lot of use out of their knowledge skill points (Design, System Familiarity, etc). Therefore, my deckers are usually the ones with the nice houses with neat gear and whatnot. Their security, though, is always Luxury because frankly, if you're in the biz, you need all the security you can get.

The Abstruse One
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012